• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most successful cricketer of all time?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Glenn McGrath for me. Australia's period of domination in Tests almost exactly coincided with the period from his rise to prominence (WI 94/95) to his retirement. Australia faced four series defeats in that period (India '98 and '01, SL '99 and Ashes '05), and we all know who wasn't fit in the two Tests that they lost to England in 2005. Didn't play in '98 when they lost in India either.

Won three World Cups, bowling well in every final or getting the main danger man. Was the best bowler or one of the best in each of those tournaments. Won the Champions Trophy in '06, and yep, was the best bowler in that tournament as well.

Is there anyone else who has combined personal and team success like McGrath?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh, saw the thread title and instantly thought 'Glenn McGrath.'

Some stats:
124 Tests - 84 wins, 20 losses, 20 draws. That's a win ratio of 67.7%, and a loss ratio of only 16.1%.

250 ODIs - 171 wins, 71 losses, 3 ties and 5 no results. Win ratio of 68.4%, and a loss ratio of 28.4%.

Pretty remarkable stuff. Reckon Gilchrist would be in the same boat though, IIRC he debuted in the first game of Australia's original 13 match winning streak.

smash84

The Tiger King

Some stats:
124 Tests - 84 wins, 20 losses, 20 draws. That's a win ratio of 67.7%, and a loss ratio of only 16.1%.

250 ODIs - 171 wins, 71 losses, 3 ties and 5 no results. Win ratio of 68.4%, and a loss ratio of 28.4%.

Pretty remarkable stuff. Reckon Gilchrist would be in the same boat though, IIRC he debuted in the first game of Australia's original 13 match winning streak.
Anybody have Imran Khan's stats?

bagapath

International Captain
I know it is boring to bring up his name again and again. but this has got to be don bradman. pigeon shud be the next on the list.

imran played in an era of too many drawn games. so he wont figure in the top 10 for sure. from his era the honor shud go to marshall or richards.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

Some stats:

Hayden:

103 Tests - 71 wins, 18 lost, 14 drawn. Win 69%, Loss 17%
161 ODIs - 119 wins, 32 lost, 2 tied, 8 no result. Win 74%, Loss 20%

Gilchrist:

96 Tests - 73 wins, 11 losses, 12 draws. Win 74%, Loss 11%
287 ODIs - 202 wins, 73 lost, 5 tied, 7 no result. Win 70%, Loss 25%

Ponting:

147 Tests - 98 wins, 25 losses, 24 draws. Win 67%, Loss 17%
351 ODIs - 247 wins, 88 lost, 5 tied, 11 no result. Win 70%, Loss 25%

vcs

I'm not just talking raw numbers here. It would be hard to separate any of McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting etc. merely on numbers. But it's uncanny how the series where McGrath came into his own (WI '94/'95) is generally acknowledged as the one where Australia took over the mantle of the dominant side in Test cricket. Most of these other guys had personal failures/fallow periods even when Australia were consistently on top. Some of them didn't do much in high-profile games, others had a weak place or bogey opponent etc. etc. McGrath ticks pretty much every box, and it's even more astonishing when you take into account that he missed the tour to India in '98 and the Tests Australia lost in Ashes 2005.

bagapath

International Captain
Hayden:

103 Tests - 71 wins, 18 lost, 14 drawn. Win 69%, Loss 17%
161 ODIs - 119 wins, 32 lost, 2 tied, 8 no result. Win 74%, Loss 20%

Gilchrist:

96 Tests - 73 wins, 11 losses, 12 draws. Win 74%, Loss 11%
287 ODIs - 202 wins, 73 lost, 5 tied, 7 no result. Win 70%, Loss 25%

Ponting:

147 Tests - 98 wins, 25 losses, 24 draws. Win 67%, Loss 17%
351 ODIs - 247 wins, 88 lost, 5 tied, 11 no result. Win 70%, Loss 25%
wow! really stunning records.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A cursory glance at the game's history would suggest Bradman by a country mile but a more measured look indicates otherwise

In 1930 Bradman scored 974 runs against England (in the absence of the most successful cricketer of all time) - In 1932/33 despite Bradman's presence and that of such giants of the game as Woodfull, Ponsford, McCabe, Grimmett, O'Reilly and Ironmonger Australia lost comprehensively

The man who masterminded and led England to that triumph is, by my reckoning, by definition the most successful player in the history of the game

And, though such further evidence is superfluous he also played a part in the only other series Bradman was on the losing side in (1928/29) and in 1933 showed that bodyline could be played successfully by traditional batting techniques

Lord Jardine of Mumbai

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
"Get your hands off our flies Jardine!" was the cry from the stands when Jardine began his wholly laudable endeavour of forcibly eliminating subhuman Australians, beginning with the insects and then moving down the evolutionary scale to Bradman, Woodfull and then other Australians.

DR Jardine for me

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonder who has won most international matches. Anyone more than Ponting - 363 wins? (98 tests, 247 ODIs, & 7 T20Is). Bloody heck, that's a lot.

Can't find a list on cricinfo. The only people I could think to check with off the top of my head were McGrath, SWaugh, Tendulkar, Jayasuria.

Burgey

"Get your hands off our flies Jardine!" was the cry from the stands when Jardine began his wholly laudable endeavour of forcibly eliminating subhuman Australians, beginning with the insects and then moving down the evolutionary scale to Bradman, Woodfull and then other Australians.

DR Jardine for me
A cursory glance at the game's history would suggest Bradman by a country mile but a more measured look indicates otherwise

In 1930 Bradman scored 974 runs against England (in the absence of the most successful cricketer of all time) - In 1932/33 despite Bradman's presence and that of such giants of the game as Woodfull, Ponsford, McCabe, Grimmett, O'Reilly and Ironmonger Australia lost comprehensively

The man who masterminded and led England to that triumph is, by my reckoning, by definition the most successful player in the history of the game

And, though such further evidence is superfluous he also played a part in the only other series Bradman was on the losing side in (1928/29) and in 1933 showed that bodyline could be played successfully by traditional batting techniques

Lord Jardine of Mumbai
Sample size is too small.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
An interesting statistical summary of Shane Bond in test cricket in terms of success - in his test career he played 18 tests and in that same period New Zealand played 65. Of his 18 tests, New Zealand won 10 (56%) and lost 2 (12%). Of the remaining 47 tests in that period, New Zealand won 10 (21%) and lost 23 (49%). I admit that Bond's figures are helped by facing Bangladesh and Zimbabwe twice apiece in his 18 tests, but in terms of success from a New Zealand point a view, a 56% test match win ratio is quite incredible.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonder who has won most international matches. Anyone more than Ponting - 363 wins? (98 tests, 247 ODIs, & 7 T20Is). Bloody heck, that's a lot.

Can't find a list on cricinfo. The only people I could think to check with off the top of my head were McGrath, SWaugh, Tendulkar, Jayasuria.
You're quite correct in assuming Ponting's top of the list. Jayasuriya's placed second and, perhaps surprisingly, Adam Gilchrist, is third:
All-round records | Combined Test, ODI and T20I records | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Spark

Global Moderator
I wouldn't say it was surprising at all tbh. It is interesting to see Ponting in front by such a huge margin though.

subshakerz

International Coach
Malcolm Marshall never played in a losing series in his entire career. Can you imagine playing for ten plus years and never be on the losing side? That's what you call success.