Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sachin Tendulkar Vs...

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I dont think that's right in most cases. OTT sentiments of any kind are likely to bring an OTT response.

His record speaks for itself. There's nothing wrong with comparing players, even across eras where it's very difficult. The problem arises when people don't countenance that there should even be a difference of opinion.

The great irony in your post, as with the OP, is that SRT is almost universally revered the cricketing world over. I realize this thread is designed to have a shot at a lot of Australian and English fans, but what you need to remember (and which is largely forgotten by all and sundry) is that even through the acrimony of India's last tour of Australia, Tendulkar was basically given a valedictory tour. You may not choose to believe it, but it's true.

He was cheered onto and off the field every time he batted. His milestones were applauded without exception and the public flocked to see him. So when you create a thread which implicitly bags the **** out if supporters of other countries, do try to keep that in mind.

Then do me a favour and compare and contrast it with the reaction of Indian crowds to visiting players of similar stature in the game. All 15 of them who turn up to watch. You might then think a little differently.

Then you can sod off.
    Burgey, your post is riddled with irrelevancies. There's only one person in this thread making this a country vs country affair, and its you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Burgey, your post is riddled with irrelevancies. There's only one person in this thread making this a country vs country affair, and its you.
    No, you're wrong about that.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

ok.

Good. Glad we've cleared that up.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Sachin Tendulkar vs Predator

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Chris Martin >>>>>>>>>>>> than that overrated hack Tendulkar.
    LOL.............too good

R_D
    I do agree with one thing.... thats in this forum if you defend Sachin on any points.. You do tend to get labelled as fanboy and looked at negatively so it seems from the posts. Mind you its the usual suspect all the time.

Majority of the people are fine though. What has happened.... is it the Viv Richards thread that contains all the fireworks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I dont think that's right in most cases. OTT sentiments of any kind are likely to bring an OTT response.

His record speaks for itself. There's nothing wrong with comparing players, even across eras where it's very difficult. The problem arises when people don't countenance that there should even be a difference of opinion.

The great irony in your post, as with the OP, is that SRT is almost universally revered the cricketing world over. I realize this thread is designed to have a shot at a lot of Australian and English fans, but what you need to remember (and which is largely forgotten by all and sundry) is that even through the acrimony of India's last tour of Australia, Tendulkar was basically given a valedictory tour. You may not choose to believe it, but it's true.

He was cheered onto and off the field every time he batted. His milestones were applauded without exception and the public flocked to see him. So when you create a thread which implicitly bags the **** out if supporters of other countries, do try to keep that in mind.

Then do me a favour and compare and contrast it with the reaction of Indian crowds to visiting players of similar stature in the game. All 15 of them who turn up to watch. You might then think a little differently.

Then you can sod off.
    You do have a point here. And it's not just the case with India. The same is the case with Pakistan as well. We do tend to deify our own heroes while putting down others. We can criticize greats of other countries no end but find it difficult (if not impossible) to accept the same for our own cricketers. I am sure if you start an Imran, Wasim, or Waqar belittling thread all the Pakistani posters on CW (although there are few regulars here) would spring into action (including me I think).

There is a HUGE fan following for Tendulkar in India. No doubt about that. And he is quite popular among cricket fans in Pakistan too (obviously they hate him when he does well against Pakistan .....). But like all great players Tendulkar has his weaknesses and not being a great match winner as some of the other players might be one of them (I hope I am not taken apart for writing this. I remember Imran Khan once saying that in India and boy did he get some flak for it). Which doesn't mean that he is not a great player. Arguably the finest since Bradman.

However at the same time it has to be acknowledged that on a lot of occasion for some reason Tendulkar is brought into arguments where there is no need to bring him in. Which is probably to tick off the "Tendulkar fanboys". And most of the time it works.....

Tendulkar has as much right to being criticized or analyzed as any other player in the history of the game. At the same time the criticism should be constructive (given the fact that there is so much adulation for Tendulkar amongst many cricket fans). A lot times the criticism seems to be there just to inflame the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by R_D View Post
    I do agree with one thing.... thats in this forum if you defend Sachin on any points.. You do tend to get labelled as fanboy and looked at negatively so it seems from the posts. Mind you its the usual suspect all the time.

Majority of the people are fine though. What has happened.... is it the Viv Richards thread that contains all the fireworks ?
    There aren't any fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    You do have a point here. And it's not just the case with India. The same is the case with Pakistan as well. We do tend to deify our own heroes while putting down others. We can criticize greats of other countries no end but find it difficult (if not impossible) to accept the same for our own cricketers. I am sure if you start an Imran, Wasim, or Waqar belittling thread all the Pakistani posters on CW (although there are few regulars here) would spring into action (including me I think).

There is a HUGE fan following for Tendulkar in India. No doubt about that. And he is quite popular among cricket fans in Pakistan too (obviously they hate him when he does well against Pakistan .....). But like all great players Tendulkar has his weaknesses and not being a great match winner as some of the other players might be one of them (I hope I am not taken apart for writing this. I remember Imran Khan once saying that in India and boy did he get some flak for it). Which doesn't mean that he is not a great player. Arguably the finest since Bradman.

However at the same time it has to be acknowledged that on a lot of occasion for some reason Tendulkar is brought into arguments where there is no need to bring him in. Which is probably to tick off the "Tendulkar fanboys". And most of the time it works.....

Tendulkar has as much right to being criticized or analyzed as any other player in the history of the game. At the same time the criticism should be constructive (given the fact that there is so much adulation for Tendulkar amongst many cricket fans). A lot times the criticism seems to be there just to inflame the other side.
    It happens with every country's fans tbf. I don't accept that when someone comes on here and says "SRT is a better player than X because..." that they're labelled a fan boy. I do accept that when someone comes on here and has a sticky keyboard over him, then that does happen. It happens with other players too, but with him in particular I think, as his support base is so big, which is understandable.

I am loving now that we've got to a point where we're not discussing cricket, but instead discussing fans' responses to fans' responses about cricket. Yay us.

Stop doing it then Burgey!
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Stop doing it then Burgey!
    Close the thread then. From the opening post it was about that.

I'm not doing it anyway.. I'm taking about fans reactions to fans reactions to fans reactions.

Different thing altogether.

I can't close the thread.

If I could, every thread SS ever created would be closed, and every post he ever made would be deleted.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I think the point where it gets annoying is when Tendulkar is injected into every thread about everything to do with cricket. The Viv Richards thread is an example.

"Is Viv Richards Over-rated"..."Well, a quick statistical analysis of Tendulkar's efforts indicate that on February 13th, 1995 at 1:35pm he scored at a rate far superior to anything Viv ever managed"

"Who's better, Murali or Warne?"..."Actually, Sachin took 5/2 in under 11's bowling both off and leg-spin, making him better than both and possibly better than anyone who has ever lived"

"What are your thoughts on the burgeoning economic stability of China?"...."You've obviously overlooked the fact that Sachin is richer than the whole country, America are looking to export to him you know!?"

I think this might've calmed down somewhat now Sir Alex had left us (God Bless his departed soul).

I think you can take it as a given that most rationally-minded people from the cricketing countries around the world recognise he is a great batsman.

*NB: This post might contain elements of exaggeration.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

I think the point where it gets annoying is when Tendulkar is injected into every thread about everything to do with cricket. The Viv Richards thread is an example.

"Is Viv Richards Over-rated"..."Well, a quick statistical analysis of Tendulkar's efforts indicate that on February 13th, 1995 at 1:35pm he scored at a rate far superior to anything Viv ever managed"

"Who's better, Murali or Warne?"..."Actually, Sachin took 5/2 in under 11's bowling both off and leg-spin, making him better than both and possibly better than anyone who has ever lived"

"What are your thoughts on the burgeoning economic stability of China?"...."You've obviously overlooked the fact that Sachin is richer than the whole country, America are looking to export to him you know
    !?"

Last edited by smalishah84; 07-10-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I can't close the thread.

If I could, every thread SS ever created would be closed, and every post he ever made would be deleted.
    Well we all know that's a given..

"What are your thoughts on the burgeoning economic stability of China?"...."You've obviously overlooked the fact that Sachin is richer than the whole country, America are looking to export to him you know!?"

I think this might've calmed down somewhat now Sir Alex had left us (God Bless his departed soul).

I think you can take it as a given that most rationally-minded people from the cricketing countries around the world recognise he is a great batsman.

LOLOLOLOL!!! top post that
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information