• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar Vs...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I will add Graeme Pollock to that. In fact, Pollock's attacking batting makes him more similar to Tendulkar than those two.
Agree with the first sentence. However, Headley was very very attacking, too. And Hammond could be, when he wished.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with the sentiments of the first post.

You just need to praise sachin one bit and you are labelled a Fanboy,but brigades for other players are ignored.

Sachin is also brought into arguments about other players continuosly with some silly and ridiculous points being made,and if you try and defend his record or anything again there is a brigade out there to label you a Fanboy.

Infact the anti-Sachin fanboy brigade is too melodramatic and Righteous as in fact there never really have been many Fanboy's on this board except one or 2.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with the sentiments of the first post.

You just need to praise sachin one bit and you are labelled a Fanboy,but brigades for other players are ignored.

Sachin is also brought into arguments about other players continuosly with some silly and ridiculous points being made,and if you try and defend his record or anything again there is a brigade out there to label you a Fanboy.

Infact the anti-Sachin fanboy brigade is too melodramatic and Righteous as in fact there never really have been many Fanboy's on this board except one or 2.
I dont think that's right in most cases. OTT sentiments of any kind are likely to bring an OTT response.

His record speaks for itself. There's nothing wrong with comparing players, even across eras where it's very difficult. The problem arises when people don't countenance that there should even be a difference of opinion.

The great irony in your post, as with the OP, is that SRT is almost universally revered the cricketing world over. I realize this thread is designed to have a shot at a lot of Australian and English fans, but what you need to remember (and which is largely forgotten by all and sundry) is that even through the acrimony of India's last tour of Australia, Tendulkar was basically given a valedictory tour. You may not choose to believe it, but it's true.

He was cheered onto and off the field every time he batted. His milestones were applauded without exception and the public flocked to see him. So when you create a thread which implicitly bags the **** out if supporters of other countries, do try to keep that in mind.

Then do me a favour and compare and contrast it with the reaction of Indian crowds to visiting players of similar stature in the game. All 15 of them who turn up to watch. You might then think a little differently.

Then you can sod off.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I dont think that's right in most cases. OTT sentiments of any kind are likely to bring an OTT response.

His record speaks for itself. There's nothing wrong with comparing players, even across eras where it's very difficult. The problem arises when people don't countenance that there should even be a difference of opinion.

The great irony in your post, as with the OP, is that SRT is almost universally revered the cricketing world over. I realize this thread is designed to have a shot at a lot of Australian and English fans, but what you need to remember (and which is largely forgotten by all and sundry) is that even through the acrimony of India's last tour of Australia, Tendulkar was basically given a valedictory tour. You may not choose to believe it, but it's true.

He was cheered onto and off the field every time he batted. His milestones were applauded without exception and the public flocked to see him. So when you create a thread which implicitly bags the **** out if supporters of other countries, do try to keep that in mind.

Then do me a favour and compare and contrast it with the reaction of Indian crowds to visiting players of similar stature in the game. All 15 of them who turn up to watch. You might then think a little differently.

Then you can sod off.
Burgey, your post is riddled with irrelevancies. There's only one person in this thread making this a country vs country affair, and its you. 8-)

R_D

International Debutant
I do agree with one thing.... thats in this forum if you defend Sachin on any points.. You do tend to get labelled as fanboy and looked at negatively so it seems from the posts. Mind you its the usual suspect all the time.

Majority of the people are fine though. What has happened.... is it the Viv Richards thread that contains all the fireworks ?

smash84

The Tiger King

Then you can sod off.
You do have a point here. And it's not just the case with India. The same is the case with Pakistan as well. We do tend to deify our own heroes while putting down others. We can criticize greats of other countries no end but find it difficult (if not impossible) to accept the same for our own cricketers. I am sure if you start an Imran, Wasim, or Waqar belittling thread all the Pakistani posters on CW (although there are few regulars here) would spring into action (including me I think).

There is a HUGE fan following for Tendulkar in India. No doubt about that. And he is quite popular among cricket fans in Pakistan too (obviously they hate him when he does well against Pakistan :).....). But like all great players Tendulkar has his weaknesses and not being a great match winner as some of the other players might be one of them (I hope I am not taken apart for writing this. I remember Imran Khan once saying that in India and boy did he get some flak for it). Which doesn't mean that he is not a great player. Arguably the finest since Bradman.

However at the same time it has to be acknowledged that on a lot of occasion for some reason Tendulkar is brought into arguments where there is no need to bring him in. Which is probably to tick off the "Tendulkar fanboys". And most of the time it works.....

Tendulkar has as much right to being criticized or analyzed as any other player in the history of the game. At the same time the criticism should be constructive (given the fact that there is so much adulation for Tendulkar amongst many cricket fans). A lot times the criticism seems to be there just to inflame the other side.

Burgey

I do agree with one thing.... thats in this forum if you defend Sachin on any points.. You do tend to get labelled as fanboy and looked at negatively so it seems from the posts. Mind you its the usual suspect all the time.

Majority of the people are fine though. What has happened.... is it the Viv Richards thread that contains all the fireworks ?
There aren't any fireworks.

You do have a point here. And it's not just the case with India. The same is the case with Pakistan as well. We do tend to deify our own heroes while putting down others. We can criticize greats of other countries no end but find it difficult (if not impossible) to accept the same for our own cricketers. I am sure if you start an Imran, Wasim, or Waqar belittling thread all the Pakistani posters on CW (although there are few regulars here) would spring into action (including me I think).

There is a HUGE fan following for Tendulkar in India. No doubt about that. And he is quite popular among cricket fans in Pakistan too (obviously they hate him when he does well against Pakistan :).....). But like all great players Tendulkar has his weaknesses and not being a great match winner as some of the other players might be one of them (I hope I am not taken apart for writing this. I remember Imran Khan once saying that in India and boy did he get some flak for it). Which doesn't mean that he is not a great player. Arguably the finest since Bradman.

However at the same time it has to be acknowledged that on a lot of occasion for some reason Tendulkar is brought into arguments where there is no need to bring him in. Which is probably to tick off the "Tendulkar fanboys". And most of the time it works.....

Tendulkar has as much right to being criticized or analyzed as any other player in the history of the game. At the same time the criticism should be constructive (given the fact that there is so much adulation for Tendulkar amongst many cricket fans). A lot times the criticism seems to be there just to inflame the other side.
It happens with every country's fans tbf. I don't accept that when someone comes on here and says "SRT is a better player than X because..." that they're labelled a fan boy. I do accept that when someone comes on here and has a sticky keyboard over him, then that does happen. It happens with other players too, but with him in particular I think, as his support base is so big, which is understandable.

I am loving now that we've got to a point where we're not discussing cricket, but instead discussing fans' responses to fans' responses about cricket. Yay us.

Burgey

Stop doing it then Burgey!
Close the thread then. From the opening post it was about that.

I'm not doing it anyway.. I'm taking about fans reactions to fans reactions to fans reactions.

Different thing altogether.