Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sachin's stats against ATG Fast Bowlers

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjulian View Post
    By that some logic...would you remove Tendulkar facing Akram in the 89 series? He was just a 17 year old kid then. That leaves you with what - two meaningful tests?

Against SA pacers, Sachin Tendulkar has had genuine weakness and it has shown over 12 or more innings. He has consistently been average in every series.

But to discredit him by using his numbers against Pak, against whom he hardly played and his debut series against them as a 17 year old still forms half his experience against them, is quite a bit tenuous.

Similarly the numbers against McGrath are fairly credible if you click on the link. You have a random one-off test from 95 where he averages 5, and the 2004/2005 series where he was possibly in the worst form of his life following the recovery from Tennis Elbow. So if you exclude that in more than 12 innings he averages 47+ not too shabby against one of the all time greats, and part of possibly one the greatest bowling attacks in Cricket history. He was also top scorer for India in 7 of those 12 innings. VVS Laxman topped him in a Sydney test, and then there is the epic Eden gardens test match with VVS and Dravid. So, it turns out he did very well against McGrath as a matter of fact.

He has weaknesses. No body is perfect. All this nit-picking and time wasting is silly....i'm not going to dive into Cricinfo stats page and waste my time to debate against a very tenuous and tedious point.
    As I told previously, removing Akram when Sachin was 16 or 17, 180 runs at an average of 30.00.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaican View Post
    Clearly the fact that Sachin has pretty modest record against Akram/Donald/McGrath pricked you badly, and honestly I like it . Your desperation in pulling Waqar/Ambrose/Walsh/Murali/Warne shows this.
    And your desperation by selective statistical analysis about Tendulkar against just 3 bowlers ,trying to show Vivian Richards in a better light while ignoring other aspects is not desperate at all

My entire point in making the post was not quoting selective names like McGrath/Donald/Akram and disparaging Sachin. Your hero worship of him is very clear (as to how you have taken the post).

If you want to include a geriatric Ambrose on dead pitches as a "lethal bowling attack", do it by all means. It doesn't change a thing.

I am looking for batsmen who were consistent against formidable pace attacks. Attacks that make you think "Jesus, how are we going to survive till the end of the day's play?". West Indian pace attack in the early 80s or the Aussie attack in mid 70s are some examples. From the stats, Sachin certainly doesn't cut it.

If I did exclude Sachin's first series against Akram (when he was 16), Sachin's average against Akram will go further down. That is exactly why I included it. Excluding that Sachin has scored 180 runs in 6 innings against Akram at an even lesser average of 30.
    And the sample size goes down to 3 matches.

U19 12th Man
    As I told previously, removing Akram when Sachin was 16 or 17, 180 runs at an average of 30.00.
    Ladies and Gentleman, stop the press...

Sachin Tendulkar averages only 30 in 3 tests matches out of the 170 odd tests he has played.....

HE SUCKS!

This changes everything.

Get a life...

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    my god. With all due respect, this is one of the worst examples of stats picking to try ridicule a great player i think i've ever seen on the net. Smh..
    awta

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Allan Donald on Sachin Tendulkar | Cricket Features | Twenty Years of Tendulkar | Cricinfo.com

He is No. 1 in my book - the best player I have ever had the privilege of bowling to. There's Steve Waugh and there's Brian Lara, who was wonderful in 1995, but Tendulkar is a class above, consistently special.

The truth says hi.
    Donald did say Steve Waugh was the best, but a few years before your article, no need to be like that pal. I havent read every cricket article in cricket history.
    Last edited by robelinda; 05-10-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Simon Champion!
    Ambrose had a shoulder surgery in 1994. He missed the India tour because of that. He was never the same bowler again. He could occasionally bowl great spells after that like he did at the MCG in 1996-97 series. In his first Test series after the shoulder surgery, West Indies lost a Test series for the first time in 15 years. From 1988-93, he literally was "The Ogre" in Test cricket, gobbling up batting line-ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Ambrose was just above medium fast-ish pace by the 95 Eng tour, he had the bounce still but wasnt the force he was before. He never got hit around while he was getting older, and his record was still good, but he was menacing and quick from say 88-93. maybe i'd include the 94 series v Eng- they had no idea on occasions ( the mental 46 test!), but handled him easily most of the time, especially Thorpe and Stewart.
    Ambrose average before 1994-

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Ambrose Average after 1994-

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

The Truth Says Hi again.

Donald did say Steve Waugh was the best, but a few years before your article, no need to be like that pal. I havent read every cricket article in cricket history.
    Sorry mate, Just pretty pissed off right now.

I did say his record was still good, do stats tell you how many times he beat the bat or his bowling speeds? Come on.

U19 12th Man
    Lol....in those 3 tests against Pakistan in which he averages only 30. Sachin Tendulkar never once got out to Akram

Saqlain
    Saqlain
    Saqlain
    Mushtaq
    Akthar
    Run Out...

When you put up a link, please be aware that some people may actually click on it.

Ok lets not allow the facts to interrupt your amazing imagination...shall we?

Allan Donald on Sachin Tendulkar | Cricket Features | Twenty Years of Tendulkar | Cricinfo.com

He is No. 1 in my book - the best player I have ever had the privilege of bowling to. There's Steve Waugh and there's Brian Lara, who was wonderful in 1995, but Tendulkar is a class above, consistently special.

The truth says hi.
    Yes, it does indeed :laugh !!!
    Lara just slightly ahead of Sachin: McGrath

| Cricket News | Global | Cricinfo.com

As the famous quotation goes:
    Opinions are like ------. Everybody's got one.

Isn't that the reason why Sachin fans desperately cling on to stats to disparage other great batsmen?

Simon Champion!
    I did say his record was still good, do stats tell you how many times he beat the bat or his bowling speeds? Come on.
    Bloody Hell.

So scoring 180 runs in 3 test matches tells a player was "pathetic" but stats spread over 50 odd test matches don't tell you when the bowler was better.

Bowling speed is a overrated thing,as it is . Ambrose though got slower,at the same time he got a lot more wiser.

Yes, it does indeed :laugh !!!
    Lara just slightly ahead of Sachin: McGrath

| Cricket News | Global | Cricinfo.com

As the famous quotation goes:
    Opinions are like ------. Everybody's got one.

Isn't that the reason why Sachin fans desperately cling on to stats to disparage other great batsmen?
    Umm, A poster said Donald rated Waugh higher to which that was the reply, Troll much?

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Bloody Hell.

So scoring 180 runs in 3 test matches tells a player was "pathetic" but stats spread over 50 odd test matches don't tell you when the bowler was better.

Bowling speed is a overrated thing,as it is . Ambrose though got slower,at the same time he got a lot more wiser.
    Never said anything about him becoming worse, just less menacing and fast. Why are you having a go at me again? I dont know what you are referring to with the 180 runs in 3 tests.

Umm, A poster said Donald rated Waugh higher to which that was the reply, Troll much?
    Not as much as you "mate" tsk... tsk... always a wannabe...

Not as much as you "mate" tsk... tsk... always a wannabe...
    What?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information