• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre-War Cricket Draft

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Well, as far as I'm aware this draft has never been done. The idea should be fairly obvious from the thread title (Test cricketers from 1877-1939), however a couple of clarifying points to make:

1. Only players who had played more than 50% of their career before World War II will be allowed (this does mean that such luminaries as Hutton and Compton will sadly have to miss out).
2. Although obviously there was less test cricket around during this time, I still think it is fair that only test players get taken into account (although I won't place limits on number of test matches played).

Hopefully, if there's anyone that actually wants to do this, this could be an interesting draft, I feel. I'm hoping for 8-10 participants, ideally.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Excellent idea. Can we do this after a few days? (maybe a month) ...as there are already 2 drafts up and running...

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Like the idea. I think Bradman would have to be banned though. Normally I'd be against it, but I can't help but feel that whoever gets him would get an automatic win. Less great to balance him out.

Also I'm in

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Like the idea. I think Bradman would have to be banned though. Normally I'd be against it, but I can't help but feel that whoever gets him would get an automatic win. Less great to balance him out.

Also I'm in
Yes, if the majority of the participants agree then certainly we should do that. :)

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Weldone can you confirm if you are in or not? If so, we have 9. If not, we have 8. Ideally I'd like 10, so one or two more will do and then we can start.

I shall confirm that we will indeed have an embargo on Bradman, because otherwise the person who gets to go first in the opening round will be at a massive advantage.

The draft shall have 12 rounds - 11 for player selection (I've decided on no 12th man) and then a 12th round for ground selection. The order will be randomised at the beginning of every odd-numbered round, and the reverse order for the even-numbered rounds, as per the tradition.

I reckon this could be a good draft, some top-class posters involved. (And me haha! :ph34r:)

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
OK Gentlemen, we have our ten participants. No more entries from now on, I'm sorry to say.

I'll sort out orders for the first round tommorrow morning.

NB NO Bradman.

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
So is this going to start any time soon?
Yeah, sorry, I'm at school from 8-3 so I couldn't really start it this morning.

First round order is:

Blakus
Zaremba
Fredfertang
Aussie
Himmanv
Michaelf7777777
Flyonthewall
Marcuss
Pasag
Somerset.

Whenever you're ready, guys. Remember NO Bradman.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
As this is my first draft, could someone tell me what the rules are about how quickly you have to make your pick?