• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre-War Cricket Draft

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C'mon aussie let's keep this moving mate!

Edit: that's the first and only time I will ever say "c'mon aussie"
Ha. Zaremba sir as i mentioned earlier my knowledge of pre-war players has been stretched to the limit, basically all the good players have been picked by the others. So i need go back & research. Cant do that now since i'm going on the road now..

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jack Russell
Harold Gimblett
Douglas Jardine
Walter Hammond
Maurice Leyland
Stanley Jackson
Frank Foster
-
Arthur Mailey
Tom Richardson
Ted McDonald

Jarquis

1. Bill Ponsford
2. Bruce Mitchell
3. Ernest Tyldesley
4. Jack Fingleton
5. Vernon Ransford
6. Aubrey Faulkner
7. Les Ames
8. Morris Nichols
9. Bill Voce
10. Bill Bowes
11. Charlie Blythe

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Hes got a rather modest test record but I'll select Johnny Tyldesley as my final pick.

Andy Sandham RHB (14 tests, 879 runs @ 38.21)
Johnny Tyldesley RHB (31 tests, 1661 runs @ 30.75)
KS Ranjitsinhji RHB (15 tests, 989 runs @ 44.95)
Archie Maclaren RHB (35 tests, 1931 runs @ 33.87)
Herbie Taylor RHB (42 tests, 2936 runs @ 40.77)
Joe Hardstaff Jnr RHB (23 tests, 1636 runs @ 46.74)
Johnny Briggs RHB SLA (33 tests, 815 runs @ 18.11, 118 wickets @ 17.75)
George Duckworth RHB (24 tests, 234 runs @ 14.62, 45 catches and 15 stumpings)
Charlie Turner RHB RFM (17 tests, 323 runs @ 11.53, 101 wickets @ 16.53)
George Lohmann RHB RFM (18 tests, 213 runs @ 8.87, 112 wickets @ 10.75)
JJ Ferris LHB LFM (9 tests, 114 runs @ 8.76, 61 wickets @ 12.70)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
George Challenor & Jimmy Sinclair

George Challenor
Jack Ryder
Charles Macartney
John Gunn
Jack Sharp
Jimmy Sinclair
Jock Cameron
Tich Freeman
Johannes Kotze
Tibby Cotter

Weak team.

fredfertang

George Challenor
Jack Ryder
Charles Macartney
John Gunn
Jack Sharp
Jimmy Sinclair
Jock Cameron
Tich Freeman
Johannes Kotze
Tibby Cotter

Weak team.
Couple of excellent selections there - two real pioneers of the game - weak isn't the word I'd use - Cotter, Kotze, Sinclair and Challenor for sure would all have been well known names had factors beyond their control not restricted their careers - you may well get my vote come the tallying up

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Couple of excellent selections there - two real pioneers of the game - weak isn't the word I'd use - Cotter, Kotze, Sinclair and Challenor for sure would all have been well known names had factors beyond their control not restricted their careers - you may well get my vote come the tallying up
Ha well fair enough uncle fred. I guess i called it weak, given a good 4-5 players i wanted to pick were taken already by the erudite others, thus leaving me a bit disappointed with my final selection.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain

George Challenor
Jack Ryder
Charles Macartney
John Gunn
Jack Sharp
Jimmy Sinclair
Jock Cameron
Tich Freeman
Johannes Kotze
Tibby Cotter

Weak team.
Even the best of teams would struggle if they only had 10 men:)

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Reginald Schwarz for my last pick please

Charter 77

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Herbie Collins (*)
3. George Headley
4. Bobby Abel
5. Warren Bardsley
6. Wilfred Rhodes
7. Jack Gregory
8. George Giffen
9. Sammy Carter (+)
10. Bill Lockwood
11. Reginald Schwarz

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Reggie Spooner to complete the Fists of Zaremba XI.

1. Bill Woodfull (c)
2. Reggie Spooner
3. Archie Jackson
4. Alan Kippax
5. Frank Woolley
6. Gilbert Jessop
7. Dick Lilley (w)
8. Maurice Tate
9. Gubby Allen
10. Bert Vogler
11. SF Barnes

I tried to concentrate on post-1900 players. I was aiming for an attractive batting line-up and I think I got it - ideally I'd have gone for Trumper over Woodfull, obviously, but Woodfull provides a bit of solidity at the top of the order. Jessop's in there to give it an almighty tonk. A long batting line-up and a varied bowling attack: Allen and Jessop for pace, 2 all-time-great medium pacers (Tate and Barnes) and 2 high-quality spinners (Vogler and Woolley).

I've enjoyed this exercise more than I can say - as I mentioned before, it's the best fun I've had on CW. Looking forward to seeing everyone's completed teams.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, with that bowling attack and a more than handy batting attack, reckon that's the team to beat.

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
The tragic Yorkshire all-rounder Roy Kilner to round off my side. Only nine tests played, but a good record with bat and ball in those and consistent excellence for Yorkshire also. Adds some leftie variation and a more-than-useful second spin option to my side.

Team Morbo's Disciples in full

1. Stewart Dempster (Right-hand batsman; 10 Tests, 723 runs @ 65.72)
2. Charles Kelleway (Right-hand batsman, Right-arm fast-medium bowler; 26 Tests, 1422 runs @ 37.42 and 52 wickets @ 32.36)
3. George Gunn (Right-hand batsman; 15 Tests, 1120 runs @ 40.00)
4. Stan McCabe (Right-hand batsman, Right-arm medium bowler; 39 Tests, 2748 runs @ 48.21 and 36 wickets @ 42.86)
5. Eddie Paynter (Left-hand batsman; 20 Tests, 1540 runs @ 59.23)
6. Allan Steel (Right-hand batsman, Right-arm medium bowler; 13 Tests, 600 runs @ 35.29 and 29 wickets @ 20.86)
7. Roy Kilner (Left-hand batsman, Left-arm spin bowler; 9 Tests, 233 runs @ 33.28 and 24 wickets @ 30.58)
8. Bert Oldfield (Right-hand batsman, Wicket-keeper; 54 Tests, 1427 runs @ 22.65, 78 catches and 52 stumpings)
9. Harold Larwood (Right-hand batsman, Right-arm fast bowler; 485 runs @ 19.40 and 78 wickets @ 28.35)
10. Clarrie Grimmett (Right-hand bastman, Leg-spin bowler; 37 Tests, 557 runs @ 13.92 and 216 wickets @ 24.21)
11. Ken Farnes (Right-hand batsman, Right-arm fast bowler; 15 Tests, 58 runs @ 4.83 and 60 wickets @ 28.65)

Instinct says that I have a good side here; good batting depth (only Farnes is a genuinely awful batsman), variation in the bowling attack (two out-and-out pacemen, two spinners, several good medium-pace options), and an outstanding keeper. Also a useful mixture of doggedness (Kelleway, Paynter) and flair (Gunn, McCabe) amongst the batsmen. I'll do a full write-up after the Player and Ground Selection have been completed.

Himannv

International Coach
Charles Bannerman

My team:

Cyril Walters
Arthur Shrewsbury
KS Duleepshinji
CP Mead
Tip Foster*
Charles Bannerman
George Ulyett
Jack Blackham+
Headley Verity
Bill O'Reilly
Fred Spofforth

Matt79

Global Moderator
Despite the redoubtable Constantine, my team so far arguably a bit light on for West Indian flair, so for my last selection I'll take Clifford Roach. Played in the Windies first test, scored the Windies first century and then later it's first double century.

V. Trumper
H. Sutcliffe
C. Hill
C.B. Fry
W. Armstrong*
C. Roach
L. Constantine
B. Barnes
B. Bates
B. Whitty
H. Strudwick+