Cricket Player Manager
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: CW Ranks Top 25 Batsmen of All Time (Version 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahblah View Post
    sachin
    richards viv
    bradman
    Bradman has already been taken as rank 1. This voting is for rank 4. So, your votes won't count.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha, exactly the same reason as why I'm not voting for Lillywhite in the bowlers thread!
    With likes of Lillywhite, I am quite convinced that the game had not quite developed enough to tell if he was really good. In case of Grace, I am not able to separate his ability from legends. Ranji was more or less a contemporary, but has a much much better average. So I desist from voting for either

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    With likes of Lillywhite, I am quite convinced that the game had not quite developed enough to tell if he was really good. In case of Grace, I am not able to separate his ability from legends. Ranji was more or less a contemporary, but has a much much better average. So I desist from voting for either
    Huh! If Grace and Ranji were contemporaries, then Sunil Gavaskar and Sachin Tendulkar were so too. How about this for a fact - Grace was 24 years old when Ranji was born! For understanding the calibre of Grace, you need to understand the fact that his best years were over when test cricket started (he played his first test at the age of 32). His best years were spent playing FC cricket where he was light-years ahead of his contemporaries. You should not judge him by his overall figures at FC level, because he spent an insanely long period playing FC cricket. He grew old playing cricket, literally. Imagine Sunil Gavaskar still playing FC cricket at this age, and you'll get an idea why Grace averaged as low as 39 (low by his standards, much higher than his contemporaries). Let alone FC cricket, he was playing test cricket till the age of 51!

And going by your logic, I don't understand why you won't vote for Ranji! Because he had a much much better average than Grace???? Huh, what a reason for not voting for someone!

By the way, in case of the likes of Lillywhite, I agree with your comment.
    Last edited by weldone; 12-10-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Grace
    Tendulkar
    Headley

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Huh! If Grace and Ranji were contemporaries, then Sunil Gavaskar and Sachin Tendulkar were so too. How about this for a fact - Grace was 24 years old when Ranji was born! For understanding the calibre of Grace, you need to understand the fact that his best years were over when test cricket started (he played his first test at the age of 32). His best years were spent playing FC cricket where he was light-years ahead of his contemporaries. You should not judge him by his overall figures at FC level, because he spent an insanely long period playing FC cricket. He grew old playing cricket, literally. Imagine Sunil Gavaskar still playing FC cricket at this age, and you'll get an idea why Grace averaged as low as 39 (low by his standards, much higher than his contemporaries). Let alone FC cricket, he was playing test cricket till the age of 51!

And going by your logic, I don't understand why you won't vote for Ranji! Because he had a much much better average than Grace???? Huh, what a reason for not voting for someone!

By the way, in case of the likes of Lillywhite, I agree with your comment.
    How do you know I am not going to vote for Ranji? (when I said I desist from voting both, I meant Lillywhite and Grace) I may or may not.

I get your point about comparison between Grace and Ranji. I stand corrected. However I am still unable to properly judge how good he was compared to others of later years. With Grace, people tend to either put him among top 5 or don't put him in such lists at all. Failing to do the former, I can't possibly decide if say he was a tad better than Greg Chappel but a tad lesser than Wally Hammond etc. So I still can't vote for him.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    The "Bradman is best" school of thought essentially takes his superiority over his peers as its yardstick and no one can argue with the fact that his overall career average is so much higher than all comers

It isn't that clearcut though - when WG scored his 50th century he had scored 31.44% of all the first class centuries scored by that time - the next highest was the long since consigned to obscurity Harry Jupp with 10 - I would suggest that is an even greater degree of dominance than Bradman demonstrated.

Would Grace have scored as heavily as Bradman on 1930's shirtfronts? Who knows - perhaps not

Would Bradman have eclipsed Grace in Victorian times on those "sporting" wickets? Who knows - perhaps not

One of them is the greatest batsman who ever lived - but which one? - personally I think its Grace but doubtless few will agree with me

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Hutton
    Sobers
    Headley
    Sobers has already been taken as rank 3. So, your votes won't count for rank 4.

Rank 4 Results Declared and Rank 5 Voting Begins

Tendulkar (37)
    Grace (22)
    Hammond (15)
    etc etc etc...

Rank 1: Donald Bradman
    Rank 2: Jack Hobbs
    Rank 3: Garry Sobers
    Rank 4: Viv Richards

I shall be maintaining two different counts: one showing how many of the already ranked players played in which decade, and the other for opener-middle order split.

Decade-wise split
    1890 and before: 0
    1891-1900: 0
    1901-10: 1 (25%)
    1911-20: 1 (25%)
    1921-30: 2 (50%)
    1931-40: 1 (25%)
    1941-50: 1 (25%)
    1951-60: 1 (25%)
    1961-70: 1 (25%)
    1971-80: 2 (50%)
    1981-90: 1 (25%)
    1991-2000: 1 (25%)
    2001-10: 0

Opener-Middle Order Split
    Opener: 1 (25%)
    Middle order: 3 (75%)

The voting process for rank 5 starts.

My votes are:
    Wally Hammond (3 points)
    Leonard Hutton (2 points)
    Sachin Tendulkar (1 point)
    Last edited by weldone; 12-10-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    3 - Chappell G
    2 - Ponting
    1 - Sutcliffe
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    1 - Sutcliffe
    Which one?

And what's the story behind your new avatar?

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Herbert, we need an opener.

The story of my avatar? Just a tribute to the funniest/comical guy in Test cricket today. Even if he doesn't know it.

Tendulkar
    Lara
    Chappell

Simon Champion!
    Tendulkar-3
    Grace-2
    Hutton-1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer jaideep's Avatar
    lara - 3 pts
    grace - 2 pts
    headley -1 pt

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast