• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Team?

Which is the best team?

• Total voters

gwo

U19 Debutant
My mates and Iwere drafting a team of cricketers with the following rules:

- one from each of the following countries: australia, nz, england, india, pakistan, sri lanka, south africa, west indies, bangladesh / zimbabwe, other cricketing nation
- no bradman
- one wildcard player from any cricketing country.

Which team do you think is the best?

Team 1
Sanath Jayasuriya
Wally Hammond
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Inzamam Ul-Haq
Thomas Oboya
Daniel Vettori
Dennis Lillee
Mashrafe Mortaza
Courtney Walsh

Team 2
Virender Sehwag
Andy Flower
Aravinda De Silva
Graeme Pollock
Chris Cairns
Steven Tikolo
Adam Gilchrist
Sir Shane Warne
Jim Laker
Waqar Younis
Malcolm Marshall

Team 3
George Headley
Sir Jack Hobbs
Kumar Sangakarra
Brian Charles Lara
Greg Chappell
Sir Imran Khan
Sir Richard Hadlee
Anil Kumble
Heath Streak
Ryan Ten Doeshate
Allan Donald

Team 4
Jon Davidson
Herbert Sutfcliffe
Kevin Pietersen
Sir Vivian Richards
Grant Flowers
Sir Garfield Sobers
Brendan Mccallum
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty sure he means George Headley.

I'd vote for team 4 - with no Bradman, Sobers IMO is the next best cricketer of all time, and Sir Viv could arguably be in the top 5. Great modern bowling attack with experience aplenty. Slightly fragile batting order with Davidson opening up but with Wasim at 9 theres enough depth to compensate.

FTR I'd tweak some of the batting line-ups but an interesting exercise in drafting those sides nonetheless.

kingkallis

International Coach
Pretty sure he means George Headley.

I'd vote for team 4 - with no Bradman, Sobers IMO is the next best cricketer of all time, and Sir Viv could arguably be in the top 5. Great modern bowling attack with experience aplenty. Slightly fragile batting order with Davidson opening up but with Wasim at 9 theres enough depth to compensate.

FTR I'd tweak some of the batting line-ups but an interesting exercise in drafting those sides nonetheless.
Or maybe Graeme Smith!

Himannv

International Coach
Team three for me. Too many class batsmen in it and the prospect of Imran, Hadlee and Donald all bowling together is mouth watering. Dislike the fact that a middle order player has to step in and open, but thats a minor setback I reckon.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Who persuaded Hammond, Flower and Headley to open? I guess all 3 of them will reject any such offer unless it's a t20 competition with loads of money pouring in from sponsors.

Himannv

International Coach
Who persuaded Hammond, Flower and Headley to open? I guess all 3 of them will reject any such offer unless it's a t20 competition with loads of money pouring in from sponsors.
Agree completely. All of them deserve their middle order berths.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Andy Flower started his First Class career as an opening batsman tbf.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Team 2
Virender Sehwag
Andy Flower
Aravinda De Silva
Graeme Pollock
Chris Cairns
Steven Tikolo
Adam Gilchrist
Sir Shane Warne
Jim Laker
Waqar Younis
Malcolm Marshall
Never knew Warne was knighted :laugh:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Jon Davidson
Herbert Sutfcliffe
Kevin Pietersen
Sir Vivian Richards
Grant Flowers
Sir Garfield Sobers
Brendan Mccallum
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Easily has the most match winners. So this is the best for me.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Jon Davidson
Herbert Sutfcliffe
Kevin Pietersen
Sir Vivian Richards
Grant Flowers
Sir Garfield Sobers
Brendan Mccallum
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Easily has the most match winners. So this is the best for me.
Um, team 3?

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Um, team 3?
Of course, you can't argue with the big names in team 3. But i just have this hunch that this team is probably capable of beating any of the other 3....just my opinion on the fellows in team 4. Bowling is exceptionally strong for Team 4.