• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket in Commonwealth Games?

Should Cricket be an active sport of Commonwealth Games?

• Total voters

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Y cannot Cricket be an active sport in Commonwealth games? I knw it was held once in 1998 in Malaysia & was unsuccessful but Cricket changed a lot since then. Nowa days Cricket is almost played in all Commonwealth Countries & T20 format is ideal for competitive Cricket. Commonwealth head wanted to add cricket in 2014 games but again our useless ICC didn't want wats gud for the game. It should have definitely been the road to Olympics.

I see these countries could have decent cricket teams for 2014 games:
01) Antigua and Barbuda
02) Australia - Test Nation
03) Bangladesh
- Test Nation
04) Barbados
05) Canada - ODI Nation
06) Guyana
07) India - Test Nation
08) Jamaica
09) Kenya - ODI Nation
10) Malaysia
11) Namibia
12) New Zealand - Test Nation
13) PNG
14) Pakistan - Test Nation
15) Singapore
16) South Africa - Test Nation
17) Sri Lanka
- Test Nation
18) Trinidad & Tobago
19) Uganda
20) UK - Test Nation

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I thought it wasnt bad the last time in 1998, lacked the proper grounds and atmosphere, but there was some very interesting cricket. The Aus v India match was excellent. The WI islands were interesting to watch too. SA sent a 2nd string team that ende dup doing really well, I really hated the technique and style of one of their openers, was it MIke Rindel? Yuk. Got the job done though I guess.

Athlai

Not Terrible
U 21 + one or two older players and make it T20.

That way almost all teams can compete at a similar level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't like the idea of sports in which the Olympics isn't the pinnacle actually being in the Olympics. CG would be okay though I guess. Should ban all professional cricketers from it though.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Don't like the idea of sports in which the Olympics isn't the pinnacle actually being in the Olympics. CG would be okay though I guess. Should ban all professional cricketers from it though.
So what you're saying is that only the womens teams and the West Indies should take part? :ph34r:

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I like the idea of u21 +2 seniors. Or make it the same as the australian futures program (u23's i believe). Needs something to stop it being easy medals for the same 4 teams every year.

Spark

Global Moderator
I like the idea of u21 +2 seniors. Or make it the same as the australian futures program (u23's i believe). Needs something to stop it being easy medals for the same 4 teams every year.
I like that, yeah. Get a little name-recognition in there at least.

Athlai

Not Terrible
You'd think no 30 year old players would compete for example I'd think NZ would be captained by Ross Taylor in this type of thing, and maybe Southee would be the other player.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
from Cricinfo:

"Cricket, although in strong demand, did not make a come-back as the Board of Control for Cricket in India were not keen on a Twenty20 tournament, and the organisers did not want a one day tournament"

How things have changed :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

turnstyle

State 12th Man
i like the bit....

Following the board meeting, treasurer N Srinivasan said: "The BCCI does not want to play 20-20 cricket in the Commonwealth Games. We think that format should not be encouraged."