• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket in Commonwealth Games?

Should Cricket be an active sport of Commonwealth Games?

• Total voters

Jayzamann

International Regular
Don't like the idea of sports in which the Olympics isn't the pinnacle actually being in the Olympics. CG would be okay though I guess. Should ban all professional cricketers from it though.
AWTA. I believe that basketball has progressed properly once the Americans started taking it seriously. The notion of the 'dream team' hasn't carried over to other sports like football, where the gold medal winning nation is rarely the best at the sport.

Also, tennis. 08 was a shambles considering the US Open started basically the day after the closing ceremony. Federer still won a gold medal, but it was in doubles. And I still remember Ana Ivanovic's mysterious thumb injury. Heh.

Sports like rowing, gymnastics, athletics, etc are proper Olympic sports. Sports where every athlete participating is striving for a gold medal, and winning one is the single greatest achievement of their career. Including sports where players actively downplay their effort to succeed in order to do well in other competitions really dampens the efforts of the others.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
:laugh: you had me fooled all right, turnstyle.

So, what this really means is we've been barking up the wrong tree all along. In all fairness, it's actually Damn Dhoni! :p

turnstyle

State 12th Man
totally forgot India were opposed the twenty20 world championships in South Africa back in '07

BCCI accepts Twenty20 Cricket
Jul 16, 2006

BCCI on Sunday dropped its opposition to the game's Twenty-20 version, deciding to participate in the inaugural World Cup in South Africa in 2007. "The Indian cricket board was not in favour of the Twenty-20 version, but it was isolated as most other nations supported the idea," said N Srinivasan, BCCI treasurer.

"We've accepted the International Cricket Council's decision in good grace, and agreed to participate in the World Cup," Srinivasan told reporters after a meeting of the high-powered working panel. Niranjan Shah, secretary of the board, said India was the only nation that did not support the Twenty-20 World Cup's proposal in a recent meeting of ICC officials. "We were outvoted 10-1 at the ICC meeting, but won't stay away from the Twenty-20 World Cup," Shah said.

India had earlier opposed the ICC's plans to expand the Twenty-20 version's international fixtures, even refusing to entertain the plans to include this shorter game in the 2010 Commonwealth Games - to be staged in the Indian capital of New Delhi. Srinivasan said Indian cricketers would be provided a chance to prepare for shorter version of the game ahead of the Twenty-20 World Cup.

A tournament among five regional teams will be played in April-May next year, after the Indian team returns from the limited-overs World Cup in the West Indies, Srinivasan said. "We couldn't introduce any new competition to this year's packed domestic schedule, but the next season's calendar will feature more Twenty-20 matches," he said. Shah said the Indian team would be introduced to the Twenty-20 version when it plays one match against South Africa in November during the coming tour of South Africa.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
Netball and rugby are played in the CWG, so why not cricket? The version of rugby played is sevens, so I don't see why 20/20 cricket can't be played.

I also see countries like St Lucia, Grenada, Dominica, etc also fielding teams. And from the UK, separate teams could come from England, Wales, and Scotland.

Of course, the only way cricket is going to get into the CWG is if the ICC and the BCCI accept WADA as the supreme authority on drug-testing, and stop complaining about the whereabouts rule....

Last edited:

outbreak

First Class Debutant
With cricket's scandals at the moment would the Commonwealth games even want cricket involved? The same with the WADA issues i'm sure there's afew players who've kept playing cricket when WADA would have gotten rid of them.....

juro

U19 12th Man
Imagine an event at the current Commonwealth Games where the locals actually show some interest!

jashan83

U19 Captain
Imagine an event at the current Commonwealth Games where the locals actually show some interest!
Mr juro there were all filled stadiums except for starting 1 2 days. But the lowest point was wen a athlete's of a particular nation went for Vandalism and Hooliganism for the fact that their nation was disgraced in cricket......what do I call it racism. :unsure:

Last edited:

juro

U19 12th Man
Mr juro there were all filled stadiums except for starting 1 2 days. But the lowest point was wen a athlete's of a particular nation went for Vandalism and Hooliganism for the fact that their nation was disgraced in cricket......what do I call it racism. :unsure:
It seems we both may be guilty of jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information. Do you agree?

Craig

World Traveller
I CBF starting a new thread and this is on a similar topic, and since cricket (well, T20) will be played at this year's Asian Games in China, are countries like India going to send any big names, or will they just be a bunch of randoms who would normally have no chance of getting any where near the Test/ODI/T20 team normally? If so, bring back AA!

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Netball gets a run, then 20-20 is a certainty, as much for the TV rights cash injection for the next comm games as anything else. Plus it could be a warmup for the world cup (which has the same teams participating anyways).

Yep, mix up the format somehow.

Great idea.

Craig

World Traveller
Don't like the idea of sports in which the Olympics isn't the pinnacle actually being in the Olympics. CG would be okay though I guess. Should ban all professional cricketers from it though.
I don't think the players will care too much about it, but it would be a great marketing tool for cricket. Then Bruce's revolutionary ideas for cricket could come into place :ph34r:

juro

U19 12th Man
I CBF starting a new thread and this is on a similar topic, and since cricket (well, T20) will be played at this year's Asian Games in China, are countries like India going to send any big names, or will they just be a bunch of randoms who would normally have no chance of getting any where near the Test/ODI/T20 team normally? If so, bring back AA!
I don't think the Indians are even bothering to send any team.