• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

China?

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
China’s cricket dream edges towards reality

Thursday, 30 Sep, 2010
font-size small font-size largefont-sizeprint email share
Rashid Khan, who has been at the helm of developing the mainland’s team for the past two years, said he was hopeful that China would one day be able to take full part in the Hong Kong Sixes. —AFP/File Photo
Cricket
Pakistan helps Chinese cricketers for Asian Games

HONG KONG: China are to appear at the Hong Kong Cricket Sixes in November as they plot their rise to international prominence, organisers of the annual tournament announced on Wednesday.

The mainland’s Asian Games squad will play an exhibition match against a Hong Kong development team, to be screened live and broadcast worldwide.

“We are really excited at the opportunity of appearing at the Hong Kong Sixes,” said China’s Pakistani coach Rashid Khan.

“This will be a huge experience for the guys and one which should help them as they prepare for the Asian Games in November.”

Khan, who has been at the helm of developing the mainland’s team for the past two years, said he was hopeful that China would one day be able to take full part in the Hong Kong Sixes.

Australia, England, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, South Africa, New Zealand and Hong Kong vie for total prize money of 150,000 dollars in the November 6-7 contest at Kowloon Cricket Club.

Dinesh Tandon, Hong Kong Cricket Association’s chairman, said it was the first step in integrating China into the tournament.

“I believe the day is not too far away when China will play at the Hong Kong Sixes. This is just the first step and we want to give them a flavour of playing in an international tournament,” Tandon said.

Cricket is just starting to take root in the fast-developing country but Khan has said the biggest obstacle facing China is the lack of opportunities to play foreign opposition.

“This visit will not only give us much-needed opposition but the players can also learn from watching the international stars in action,” Khan added. —AFP

DAWN.COM | Cricket | China?s cricket dream edges towards reality

Such a huge market if the game clicks with the public. Plus Pakistan has started to make inroads already...imagine the fixing opportunities with this.... :laugh:

But seriously, how long do you think it might take China to make it to the level that Ireland or Zimbabwe is?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
IMO, we should be neighbourly. Pakistan tp provide them batting lessons, and India bowling lessons. SA could pitch in with a spinners' clinic just to be thorough.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Read a couple years ago that China was aiming to hit the international scene in 2020. Don't think that'll happen, but it certainly would be beneficial for cricket in the long term if the two emerging powers both play cricket extensively.

Faisal1985

IMO, we should be neighbourly. Pakistan tp provide them batting lessons, and India bowling lessons. SA could pitch in with a spinners' clinic just to be thorough.
:laugh:....good one...we must make sure that they are equal strength in both departments...and not a messy imbalance we have created in our teams.

Faisal1985

Read a couple years ago that China was aiming to hit the international scene in 2020. Don't think that'll happen, but it certainly would be beneficial for cricket in the long term if the two emerging powers both play cricket extensively.
Its China. You never know...they might start cloning Tendulkars and Akrams....

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Its China. You never know...they might start cloning Tendulkars and Akrams....
Once a country that has a dictatorship decides to do something they're usually very good at it - It's just sometimes it's not the right decision

Faisal1985

Once a country that has a dictatorship decides to do something they're usually very good at it - It's just sometimes it's not the right decision
I guess they have more control over things and if they are sincere with the cause it may work very well....and you are right, whenever the decision making is in one person's or just a few, with next to no accountability then it is a sign for a huge worry.

I must say however, Chinese administration is quite serious about making China stronger.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I guess they have more control over things and if they are sincere with the cause it may work very well....and you are right, whenever the decision making is in one person's or just a few, with next to no accountability then it is a sign for a huge worry.

I must say however, Chinese administration is quite serious about making China stronger.
Don't want to get into a whole discussion between democracy and communism, but I don't think there's inherently anything wrong with having the decision making capacity controlled by a select few in terms of getting things done efficiently if they are adequately equipped for the task. However, a leader, obviously, can lead the country astray.

I'd say if the Chinese government wanted to, Cricket would become a huge sport there.

Faisal1985

Don't want to get into a whole discussion between democracy and communism, but I don't think there's inherently anything wrong with having the decision making capacity controlled by a select few in terms of getting things done efficiently if they are adequately equipped for the task. However, a leader, obviously, can lead the country astray.

I'd say if the Chinese government wanted to, Cricket would become a huge sport there.
Me neither, don't want the political debate at all....but as they say...the worst democracy is better then the best dictatorship for that reason...accountability to the people...

Faisal1985

Had no idea teams in Zhejiang province played it. Would've loved to go have a look when I was living there two years ago.

But yeah, the game's obviously got a loooooooong way to go to make any ground in China. 98 school teams out of 1.3 billion people isn't much at all.
I guess more popularity is coming from Hong Kong..