• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Grant Flower back in international cricket....

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Averages 29 in tests and 33 in ODIs....don't whats the fuss about...unless goes on to become a renewed match winner for Zimbabwe.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Averages 29 in tests and 33 in ODIs....don't whats the fuss about...unless goes on to become a renewed match winner for Zimbabwe.
Still decent compared to the rest of the nation. Yes, his brother was a lot better but Grant's still good, especially by Zimbabwean standards.

Plus, he's very experienced, and would give the younger players some guidance.

Taylor's been picked, it was a stuff-up by Zimbabwe Cricket.

Noble One

Still remains a vital figure in Zimbabwe Test and ODI history, regardless of his average. I recall he was a vital figure in some of Zimbabwe's wins over Pakistan. The guiding experience of Flower in the lineup is a fantastic asset to a largely youthful lineup.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Didn't think I'd see Jacques Rudolph and Grant Flower possibly playing international cricket against each other (if JR ever gets picked again) instead of in the English CC.. Good stuff

Faisal1985

Still decent compared to the rest of the nation. Yes, his brother was a lot better but Grant's still good, especially by Zimbabwean standards.

Plus, he's very experienced, and would give the younger players some guidance.

Taylor's been picked, it was a stuff-up by Zimbabwe Cricket.
Yeah i guess comparatively speaking a much better player for sure.

Faisal1985

Still remains a vital figure in Zimbabwe Test and ODI history, regardless of his average. I recall he was a vital figure in some of Zimbabwe's wins over Pakistan. The guiding experience of Flower in the lineup is a fantastic asset to a largely youthful lineup.
Zimbabwe were quite a threatening side when Andy, Grant, Streak were there....they have agreed to tour Pakistan as well...which is a huge favor in current situation to say the least.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's a good move. Need to get them competitive first, then use the increased funding to work on the younger generation.

Hamilton Masakadsa
Sean Williams
Brendan Taylor
Grant Flower
Chigambura
Sean Ervine
Tatenda Taibu
Andy Blignaut
Ray Price
Anthony Ireland
That Rainsford bloke

Not too shabby. Would be a big plus if they managed to steal back de Grandhomme from us as well. 31 with the bat and 29 with the ball in FC cricket for Auckland.

Getting their best players in other domestic competitions would really help them out imo.
Ah yes i remember hearing about his ZIM connections a few years back.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't think I'd see Jacques Rudolph and Grant Flower possibly playing international cricket against each other (if JR ever gets picked again) instead of in the English CC.. Good stuff
Can't see them getting picked at the same time. Flower will eventually retire.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can only hope so. Would be 1 step forward with the inclusion of Flower, 2 steps back if Taylor and Price are missing through nothing else but injury.
Price has a sick relative so he's been granted compassionate leave.

As Morgie alluded to, cricinfo/ZC messed up the original squad announcement and Taylor is in fact in it, so there aren't any hidden catches to Flower's return other than the fact that Dabengwa seems to have been picked again.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it's a good move. Need to get them competitive first, then use the increased funding to work on the younger generation.

Hamilton Masakadsa
Sean Williams
Brendan Taylor
Grant Flower
Chigambura
Sean Ervine
Tatenda Taibu
Andy Blignaut
Ray Price
Anthony Ireland
That Rainsford bloke

Not too shabby. Would be a big plus if they managed to steal back de Grandhomme from us as well. 31 with the bat and 29 with the ball in FC cricket for Auckland.

Getting their best players in other domestic competitions would really help them out imo.
Don't see why you'd open with Williams and then bat openers at three at four.

But anyway, a lot of these players are of very similar quality. I don't think Grant Flower's any more or less likely to score runs than Craig Ervine for example. Stuff like this does help the depth of the player pool, domestic cricket and of course the experience of the team, but having 25 D standard international cricketers doesn't really make for a much better outcome than having ten of them. I'm happy about his return but I don't think it's as exciting as some seem to.

Craig

World Traveller
Zimbabwe were quite a threatening side when Andy, Grant, Streak were there....they have agreed to tour Pakistan as well...which is a huge favor in current situation to say the least.
They are idiots IMO. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think they could pay me enough to tour Pakistan if I were an international cricketer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They are idiots IMO. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think they could pay me enough to tour Pakistan if I were an international cricketer.
Given the insistence of the ZC throughout even the worst periods that Zimbabwe was safe to tour, it'd be a bit hypocritical of them to not tour Pakistan. Hopefully they don't put any pressure on specific players to tour if they don't think it's safe, though.

Flem274*

123/5
Don't see why you'd open with Williams and then bat openers at three at four.

But anyway, a lot of these players are of very similar quality. I don't think Grant Flower's any more or less likely to score runs than Craig Ervine for example. Stuff like this does help the depth of the player pool, domestic cricket and of course the experience of the team, but having 25 D standard international cricketers doesn't really make for a much better outcome than having ten of them. I'm happy about his return but I don't think it's as exciting as some seem to.
Trying to fit all the best players in the one team tbh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Of all batsmen to have faced at least 10,000 deliveries in Test cricket, Grant Flower has the lowest strike rate.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Of all batsmen to have faced at least 10,000 deliveries in Test cricket, Grant Flower has the lowest strike rate.
Good stat. Trouble is for a lot of the competition tho (Sutcliffe, Hanif Mohammed, Boycott, Barrington, Lawry, etc) their records of balls faced aren't complete so it's not quite as (un)impressive as it sounds.