• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v South Africa in Dubai

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Is Parnell playing the first test? Otherwise pick the guy who helped win you a ODI last match.

Don't pick two rusty bowlers IMO.
Well unless they go with two spinners, I would think so. Tsotsobe is the incumbent 3rd test seamer but he is down with back spasms and perversely, the success he has had against Pak by apting Nathan Bracken maybe will see Parnell favoured over him for the tests.

Pak have the measure of Botha now and historically, so I would think the test attack will be Steyn, Morne, Parnell and Harro. Be some tail if Lopsy was put in there. He really can't bat.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
UAE conditions are very similar to those in the subcontinent and given that SA is currently struggling against a side without 3 of its best players (not to mention their "record" in big tourneys), I honestly dont see how they are a main contender
Batting has been reasonably good, Amla is in the form of his life and the bench strength is pretty strong too. Bowling isn't up to scratch other than Morkel and Botha but you can bet Steyn will bounce back strongly. They are very much amongst the main contenders imo.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pakistan should make raging turners for the test matches thats the only way we can stop Steyn and Morkel from destroying us also the expected middle order Younis,Yousuf,Misbah and Umer are all good players of spin.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Hafeez is weird. He looks okay technically and he seems to know how to build an innings, but he loves throwing away starts and goes through weird periods in his career where he decides to massively fish outside off stump for a few games.
yeah can't even do it at FC level averages just 34.

Briony

International Debutant
The world cup is coming up and a series against India too. For these two to gain match practice may have been on their minds. I disagree with the selection too, but like I said you can't blame it all on the selectors.

and tbh, everyone kept jizzing at the sound of Steyn before this match started. No one anticipated this.
Not really that surprising as he often seems to struggle after a layoff. For eg. he was really poor in the Durban test against England after recovering from the hammy but got back to his best in Joburg. Mitchell Johnson is another who's particularly frightful after a spell.

smash84

The Tiger King
Pakistan should make raging turners for the test matches thats the only way we can stop Steyn and Morkel from destroying us also the expected middle order Younis,Yousuf,Misbah and Umer are all good players of spin.
They'll never do that........I think they will try to leave some grass on the pitch and will probably lose the toss and end up batting first and get bowled out cheaply.

smash84

The Tiger King
On the point of no Rusty, he isn’t in the test side and being the number 1 test side come early 2011 is more important to CSA then pinging down their ODI side. These are warm up games for Steyn and Parnell. Steyn only started bowling again on Thursday. Though now that its 2-2, Theron will probably have to play on Monday. Biggest worry for South Africa is that they are very easy to contain in ODIs on subcontinent like wickets, they don’t collapse against spin, they just can’t effectively score heavy against it, and so they target bowlers of the class of Shoaib to hit out against.

For Pak, they should get Hafeez in the test side. South Africa batsman just don’t have clue how to get him off the square and whilst he will never amount to much with the bat, saves Pak from fielding Kaneria as their second spinner.
Well said. And good idea regarding Hafeez. South Africa do look clueless against him.

Theron is Rusty as well though. :ph34r:
corny....:)

pup11

International Coach
Most of Pakistan's games going down to the wire. In the background of all that has happened in Pakistan cricket, don't know what exactly to make of this!!

AaronK

State Regular
Most of Pakistan's games going down to the wire. In the background of all that has happened in Pakistan cricket, don't know what exactly to make of this!!
Ban pakistan for having good and full exciting and thrilling matches :ph34r:

:laugh:

I don't know i was thinking about this.. I maybe the first pakistani fan who would agree and confess that over the past 2 years or so 10 to 12 pakistani cricketers have been involved in match fixing/ spot fixing..plus the dressing room politics, the back stubing, the oath taking and ball tempering and so many other controversies srounding them.. i know these maybe crimes that could ban pakistan from international cricket.. lets say if they get ban.. would the cricket world be the same without pakistan? I mean look at all these entertaining matches..3 out of 4 matches in this series have been the most exciting and thrilling matches that we have ever seen in modren day cricket.

even some of the test matches that we played back in the last couple of years.. we made them exciting and thrilling.. although, ending up in the losing side mostly..

we are not even talking about 20/20 in which we are considered one of the top teams out there.

AaronK

State Regular
^apparently Kaneria hasn't been cleared by ICC for his involvement in spot fixing while playing county cricket in England

It was Icc who told PCB to stop him

but it is a good move.. hope he gets ban if he is guilty

pup11

International Coach
Ban pakistan for having good and full exciting and thrilling matches :ph34r:

:laugh:

I don't know i was thinking about this.. I maybe the first pakistani fan who would agree and confess that over the past 2 years or so 10 to 12 pakistani cricketers have been involved in match fixing/ spot fixing..plus the dressing room politics, the back stubing, the oath taking and ball tempering and so many other controversies srounding them.. i know these maybe crimes that could ban pakistan from international cricket.. lets say if they get ban.. would the cricket world be the same without pakistan? I mean look at all these entertaining matches..3 out of 4 matches in this series have been the most exciting and thrilling matches that we have ever seen in modren day cricket.

even some of the test matches that we played back in the last couple of years.. we made them exciting and thrilling.. although, ending up in the losing side mostly..

we are not even talking about 20/20 in which we are considered one of the top teams out there.
Not saying that Pakistan should be banned, but any player who has slightest involvement in fixing games, or any other unfair practice, should be banned straight away.
From what I see, no matter what wrong you do as a Pakistani player, not only the PCB backs you, they also keep giving you, chances to make a comeback!!
In Afridi they have a captain, who has been caught on camera doing all, right from, chewing the ball to intentionally scuffing the pitch. Don't know how a bloke like that, can be role-model, for the younger lads coming into the team.
So all I'm saying is, the PCB needs bring in a sense of discipline and order, if they are to stop incidents like the one's that took place in England recently, otherwise Pakistan cricket, would always be under the cloud, regardless of the quality of cricket they may play!!