• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v South Africa in Dubai

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"In any case, Asif would not have played at all, as he is barred from entering the UAE after he was detained at Dubai airport in June 2008 for being in possession of a banned substance."

Well that would have been a blow

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Junaid Khan is a good bowler..I have been wondering when he would get a break..This might be a good opportunity.

Bring back Younis Khan as captain..no other option.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Whatever happened to Asim Kamal and Taufeeq Umar? Asim Kamal is one of the rare modern Pakistani batsmen who values his wicket.

A lot of Pakistani batsmen appear to have very good FC averages, so why not pick them on technique and grittiness rather than just strokeplay? Some of the shots and techniques I've seen Pakistani batsmen get out to over the past few years belong in a Neil Broom ODI Greatest Hits collection.
Taufeeq Umar has received plenty of chances..and he has failed to cement his place... Two years Pakistan decided they tried out too many openers and decided to stick to Farhat and Butt..I would like to see Farhat and Hameed in the SA series.

Asim Kamal is truly one of the rare Pakistani batsmen with sound technique and someone who values his wicket. But once Younis became a permanent in 04, and Misbah replaced Inzamam in 07, he lost favour with the selectors. Also the fact that he is 30 plus does not help his cause.

But I really liked him as a player, a gritty player who dug it in and scored runs in difficult conditions...so I would pick him any day over the Akmals and Amins.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Taufeeq Umar has received plenty of chances..and he has failed to cement his place... Two years Pakistan decided they tried out too many openers and decided to stick to Farhat and Butt..I would like to see Farhat and Hameed in the SA series.

Asim Kamal is truly one of the rare Pakistani batsmen with sound technique and someone who values his wicket. But once Younis became a permanent in 04, and Misbah replaced Inzamam in 07, he lost favour with the selectors. Also the fact that he is 30 plus does not help his cause.

But I really liked him as a player, a gritty player who dug it in and scored runs in difficult conditions...so I would pick him any day over the Akmals and Amins.
Akmal and Amin should be persisted as I feel they have enough to come good in the long run.Hameed and Farhat are the worst among mediocre batsman even players like Butt and Faisal despite their short coming looked to make an effort to over come their weakness but these two still get out the same way as they did when they started.

My XI would be

Hafeez
Azhar
Younis
Yousuf
Asad
Umer/Amin/Fawad
Haider
Gul
Kaneria
Ajmal
Wahab/Junaid

Azhar and Hafeez opens Hafieez provides a bowling option and is probably no better then Farhat/Hameed but gets in for his multi tasking Azhar looked ok and he is predominantly an opener so fits in nicely.FFS get Younis back and stop the farce Asad looks compact from the little I have seen should have been the default new guy as he was the highest run getter last season, Akmal,Amin and Fawad to round up at 6 though all 3 should be part of the squad.The suspensions have left a massive hole in bowling though I think an attack of Gul/Kaneria/Ajmal is not the worst attack for sub cont conditions.

Hope they compete though SA massive favorites I reckon.

Last edited:

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Alam should be in the test line-up. I really don't see why he hasn't been given more of an opportunity so far, he has the right temperament and a solid technique for test cricket and to go with that, a test hundred to his name. Can open the batting as well if required.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Hafeez as a test opener?? Come on buddy... The day you have to pick a test opener for his bowling..you know the situation is bad..

I would rather give blokes like Khurram Manzoor (who has a 50 against Australia earlier this year) and Nasir Jamshed opportunities..

Fawad has to play no doubt..

But the thing with Akmal is..I know he is talented but he was over praised too early in his career and the fact that at 19 he was the best batsman in a playing XI really got to his head. I dont see him working hard for his runs, I dont see him even trying to do that, I dont see him trying to adjust, get his eye in, and do whats necessary to play a big knock. I see another Mohammad Ashraful in the making who was touted as the next big thing after a 100 in Sri Lanka against Muralitharan.

To prevent him from going that way, he needs to be dropped, and made to work hard to earn his place back in the side.

I wouldnt play two spinners.

Ajmal did a fantastic job in England and hopefully we wont have to see Kaneria again.

Gul
Ajmal
Wahab
Junaid/Kashif Daud/ or dare I say Shoaib Akhtar?

Flem274*

123/5
Fawad Alam should play. So should a Asim Kamal or someone like him ahead of some of those guys. Who cares if he's 30 plus, that's a benefit in a side short of experience and grit.

Umar Akmal is in danger of becoming a flop if he's not reined in. Plenty of time left for him to learn but he makes me wonder sometimes.

Flem274*

123/5
Hafeez as a test opener?? Come on buddy... The day you have to pick a test opener for his bowling..you know the situation is bad..

I would rather give blokes like Khurram Manzoor (who has a 50 against Australia earlier this year) and Nasir Jamshed opportunities..

Fawad has to play no doubt..

But the thing with Akmal is..I know he is talented but he was over praised too early in his career and the fact that at 19 he was the best batsman in a playing XI really got to his head. I dont see him working hard for his runs, I dont see him even trying to do that, I dont see him trying to adjust, get his eye in, and do whats necessary to play a big knock. I see another Mohammad Ashraful in the making who was touted as the next big thing after a 100 in Sri Lanka against Muralitharan.

To prevent him from going that way, he needs to be dropped, and made to work hard to earn his place back in the side.

I wouldnt play two spinners.

Ajmal did a fantastic job in England and hopefully we wont have to see Kaneria again.

Gul
Ajmal
Wahab
Junaid/Kashif Daud/ or dare I say Shoaib Akhtar?
Gul, Riaz and Shoaib is a recipe for for a two man bowling attack after 3 days.:p Too injury prone.

Will Riaz even play? He's up to his eyeballs in the off field fun. If he's available though, he'll be a big help. Haven't seen him with my eyes yet but everyone sounds pretty impressed and he has the results to prove it.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Akmal and Amin should be persisted as I feel they have enough to come good in the long run.Hameed and Farhat are the worst among mediocre batsman even players like Butt and Faisal despite their short coming looked to make an effort to over come their weakness but these two still get out the same way as they did when they started.

My XI would be

Hafeez
Azhar
Younis
Yousuf
Asad
Umer/Amin/Fawad
Haider
Gul
Kaneria
Ajmal
Wahab/Junaid

Azhar and Hafeez opens Hafieez provides a bowling option and is probably no better then Farhat/Hameed but gets in for his multi tasking Azhar looked ok and he is predominantly an opener so fits in nicely.FFS get Younis back and stop the farce Asad looks compact from the little I have seen should have been the default new guy as he was the highest run getter last season, Akmal,Amin and Fawad to round up at 6 though all 3 should be part of the squad.The suspensions have left a massive hole in bowling though I think an attack of Gul/Kaneria/Ajmal is not the worst attack for sub cont conditions.

Hope they compete though SA massive favorites I reckon.
Seems like we may be a quick bowler short with this lineup No?

I rather stick to Farhat provided the conditions don't seam too much instead of Hafeez tbh. Certainly need to try out a new opener so Azhar should be a good choice....

But overall i don't think we will have much choice when selecting the test side...

Last edited:

Daemon

Would you thrust Junaid in atm? Because it would be really unfortunate if he ends up like asif or sami

Faisal1985

Would you thrust Junaid in atm? Because it would be really unfortunate if he ends up like asif or sami
Well on performance base i don't think ending up like Asif is a bad thing. Asif is a good bowler for sure....Sami just didn't become what we thought he would.

But if you mean Asif in a sense that he might end up being a fixer/drugi and stuff. Then of course no one can guarantee who turns out how. Who knew about Amir...so, i guess at the end of the day it is the player himself

Daemon

Well on performance base i don't think ending up like Asif is a bad thing. Asif is a good bowler for sure....Sami just didn't become what we thought he would.

But if you mean Asif in a sense that he might end up being a fixer/drugi and stuff. Then of course no one can guarantee who turns out how. Who knew about Amir...so, i guess at the end of the day it is the player himself
I meant the latter. Don't want to ever hear the excuse of being too naive again.. Although like you said, when it comes to these issues I guess it's really up to the player.

Faisal1985

I meant the latter. Don't want to ever hear the excuse of being too naive again.. Although like you said, when it comes to these issues I guess it's really up to the player.
Ignorance is no excuse for a crime like that in my books.

You just can't be naive enough, not to know that it was wrong....that is completely silly indeed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cant you read?. Its quite obvious what relevance that post has to do with the comment poster Xuhaib intially made.
Erm, no it isn't at all obvious since you started talking about Australians in a game between England and Pakistan.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Erm, no it isn't at all obvious since you started talking about Australians in a game between England and Pakistan.
Ha oh my. I dont know what happened in tha post, i typed a section about ENGs lord test vs PAK before that part of the AUS Lord's test. But apparantley it didn't go through, most likely a connection problem ATT.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Alam should be in the test line-up. I really don't see why he hasn't been given more of an opportunity so far, he has the right temperament and a solid technique for test cricket and to go with that, a test hundred to his name. Can open the batting as well if required.
THANK YOU! Exactly my point. Values his wicket, useful bowling combo aswell, bats anywhere because of his flexibility and gets his runs aswell. Only thing I would doubt is consistency, but he is young also, don't forget.

MY XI

Alam
Hafeez
Yousuf
Misbah
Kamal
Haider
U.Akmal/Younis
Razzaq
Wahab/Irfan/Kaneria
Sami/Gul
Ajmal