• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Manipulating stats to make players look awesome

Flem274*

123/5
I'm procrastinating my assignment atm so I've been having a play with statsguru. My question is: What players can you make look awesome with a little chopping and changing, and how much do you have to do?

I've filed through Martin Crowe, John Wright and Jeremy Coney. It hasn't been that dificult to bump their records up by a fair few runs.

For Coney I chopped his first year where he did sweet **** all then got dropped, and chopped his final year where he did sweet **** all.

With 7 tests removed, his average went from 37.57 to 42.55. He averages 48 in the West Indies with 2 fifties from 4 tests. At home he averages 52 from 23 tests.

John Wright made his debut in 1978 but wasn't very good (he probably would have been axed today) until 1981. From then on he averaged 41.38 until retirment in 1993.

Martin Crowe is similar to Wright. He debuted in 1982, but wasn't much until 1984, and from then until near retirment (I discounted his last year because it was awful and this is stats manipulation!) he averages 51.

So go and manipulate until your favourite players average more than Bradman or less than Marshall! (The good one. Hamish that is:ph34r:). Then come back and share.

Flem274*

123/5
Tamim Iqbal is Bangladesh's finest. Averaging 40 from 19 tests, removing his first year where he averaged only 24 gives him an average of 52 from 10 tests.

By removing Hadlee's poor first year, his average drops from 22 to 21. By removing his first few years and starting in 1978, he averages 20.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Cricinfo had a piece recently that showed that Gavaskar averaged 42 over the second half of his ODI career. If only he'd taken the format seriously earlier.

Flem274*

123/5
If the mods want to move this thread, then that's cool.

Ross Taylor, excluding minnows and his first (crap) series, averages 49. Excluding the West Indies on top of that, he averages 51.54.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, it's ok mate, I was only joking. It's not exactly the same thing as writing long-winded 'stats analyses' like the other thread. Don't think they should be combined personally as it would kind of ruin the purpose of the 'Hear, Hear' thread.

Last edited:

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
In a career spanning over 20 years (Still going), if you take out 4 years Sachin Tendulkar averages close to 60. (59.95).

1989 to 1991 -> A period where he was playing as a 17 and 18 year old - A real case of boy among men.

2004 to 2006 -> His slow and painful recovery from Tennis Elbow

From 1992 to end 2002 to he averages 60+. That is truly remarkable when there were only 3 or 4 players averaging over 50 in the 90s.

His Bogey teams were Zimbabwe (in Zimbabwe), South Africa and Pakiatan. He averages 40 runs against South Africa and Pakistan. Against Pakistan he has played only very few test matches to form a statistically significant opinion. Till 2002 his average against Bangladesh was less than 20.

He racks up some really phenomenal numbers to put some proper daylight between players in his time and himself.

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
is it not possible to edit posts here?

I meant to post this pictur. For his full career start excluding only the teenage period and his tennis elbow period.

Flem274*

123/5
Debates over Ponting's record in India in this thread will be met with death.

Followed by being forced to watch Mark Richardson bat on a slow day.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
If you remove Jason Gillespie's first 69 Tests with the bat, he ends with an average of 231.00. Impressive? He also averages 11.25 with the ball. Gillespie>>>>>All.