• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Manipulating stats to make players look awesome

Athlai

Not Terrible
Kumar Sangakkara

If you take away his first year in international cricket he averages 58.82.
If you only count matches where he didn't keep he averages 76.54 (with 16 100s!)
If he is captain he averages 69.55.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kumar Sangakkara

If you take away his first year in international cricket he averages 58.82.
If you only count matches where he didn't keep he averages 76.54 (with 16 100s!)
If he is captain he averages 69.55.
Take away when he doesn't keep and he averages ~80.

Might do Warne's stats with India and pre-1993 stats OOTQ.

EDIT: lol, I skimmed over the last part. But still, **** me that's impressive.

morgieb

Take away when he doesn't keep and he averages ~80.

Might do Warne's stats with India and pre-1993 stats OOTQ.

EDIT: lol, I skimmed over the last part. But still, **** me that's impressive.
His average only drops to 24, which still falls by 1.

vcs

That's not really the point of the thread.

Well, it's only 12 matches worth.
You've got it wrong. He averages 79.35 against India at home in 11 matches.

EDIT : Oh never mind, you meant to remove India from Ponting's record. I didn't realize it was a minus, thought it was a hyphen.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
His average only drops to 24, which still falls by 1.
Probably more interesting if you removed his first year when he got flogged by India and Sri Lanka; but also his injury-filled years from 98-01.

You've got it wrong. He averages 79.35 against India at home in 11 matches.

EDIT : Oh never mind, you meant to remove India from Ponting's record. I didn't realize it was a minus, thought it was a hyphen.
Yeah, I just removed his performances against India in India. As you've shown, his record against India in Aus is incredible.

Uppercut

I think, there has got to be a more legitimate reason than - 'well he was **** against them, and didn't know how to bat in said country.' to manipulate the stats.
Well no, because you're showing how ridiculously awesome he was in 9 of the 10 test-playing countries.

It only really becomes ridiculous if you do it in an effort to show he was better than another player you don't like as much.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
What matches - can't remember last time England didn't win a Test match, those games don't exist.
Yeah, I know. Talking ODIs, though. Which I think (I can't quite remember) we didn't used to win all of them a few years ago like we do now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well no, because you're showing how ridiculously awesome he was in 9 of the 10 test-playing countries.

It only really becomes ridiculous if you do it in an effort to show he was better than another player you don't like as much.
8/10. His record in England is good as opposed to being awesome.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Kevin Pietersen's record with Pakistan excluded, and games played in South Africa, Pakistan and Sri Lanka excluded, up until 6th March 2009:

3771 runs at 54.65 with 14 hundreds and 13 fifties.

Then, if you keep with those exclusions but just take innings played batting at #4 his record looks like:

2744 runs at 57.16 with 12 hundreds and 7 fifties.

Not too shabby. Pretty incredible 50/100 conversion rate there.

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
lol...All these exclusions an we are still around the 55 run average mark.

This also defeats the purpose of "averaging".

If you take innings' in which Carl Hooper scored a century, he averages more than Don Bradman

Carl Hooper >>>>> Bradman

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If we only consider innings' played by Tendulkar where he's scored more than his career average (because he was obviously less than par in the innings' where he scored less than his career average, and so those must be discarded - Vivian/Ian principle, aka VivIan principle :-O), then he's scored 7853 runs in 90 innings' with 16 not outs, at an average of 106.2 with 48 centuries. :ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
Mathew Sinclair's first ten or so tests are the only ones worth counting using the Richard "when he was a test class batsman" rule. So Skippy now averages 50.

Bow down!

morgieb

Marcus North's average taking out his first few months when he actually played OK, is 28.37.

Thought it'd be lower than that, itstl. Because of his decent series against NZ I'm guessing.

morgieb

8/10. His record in England is good as opposed to being awesome.
Taking 40 wickets in a series when everyone else was injured (McGrath), bowling tripe (Kasprowicz, Gillespie) or lacking FC experience after spending so much time on the bench (Lee) not great?

Think in 2001 Ashes he also bounced back significantly from "that" period.