• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Viv Richards an Overrated Test Batsman?

sachin200

U19 12th Man
Lot of people (including Imran Khan who apparently believe he is the best batsman he has seen) believe that Viv Richard is one of the best TEST batsman ever. but one look at his record may create some doubts.

His overall test Record

Mat Inn NO Runs H.S Ave 100 50 0 4s 6s

121 182 12 8540 291 50.23 24 45 10 1051+ 84

His overall record suggests that he is one of the finest but a detailed look may create some doubts.......

Here we can see that he has comparatively struggled against AUS and PAK

This suggests that he struggled against quality pace bowlers in Tests. I for one believe that BC Lara is the best west Indian TEST batsman ever.

I want to know the opinion of you guys.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In that era, an average of 40-45 against good side could hardly be considered "struggling". It will also be interesting to see how his figures look if we remove his last 4 years of so.

It's always interesting to look at cumulative averages, and considering where a cricketer's average would have ended if circumstances allowed or forced him to retire earlier.

Will be keen to hear views from others too on Viv.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
And despite his low average, Wisden 100 exercise at the turn of the century placed Viv Richard 3rd on the batsmen's list. Their formulae apparently did take quality of opposition and venues (home/away), match circumstances etc into account.

aussie tragic

International Captain
How is averaging 40+ show that he struggled against Aus and Pak?

I rate Viv as the greatest I've ever seen (live or on TV) which includes the likes of Gavaskar, G. Chappell, Miandad, Abbas, Lloyd, Ponting, Lara, Dravid, Kallis, Tendulker, Border, S.Waugh....

....btw, Viv averaged 60.16 after 45 tests, which was God like at the time...he should not be judged in his final average when he obviously played on for far too long...

Shri

Mr. Glass
I have got one word to say to Viv:

SEHWAG!

He is going to take that "Aggressor" title off you.

Fusion

Global Moderator
How is averaging 40+ show that he struggled against Aus and Pak?

I rate Viv as the greatest I've ever seen (live or on TV) which includes the likes of Gavaskar, G. Chappell, Miandad, Abbas, Lloyd, Ponting, Lara, Dravid, Kallis, Tendulker, Border, S.Waugh....

....btw, Viv averaged 60.16 after 45 tests, which was God like at the time...he should not be judged in his final average when he obviously played on for far too long...
This.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
A look at Viv Richards' cumulative averages tells you that if he retired after 87 tests (same number of tests played by another great batsman of that generation - Greg Chappel) he would have averaged about as much as Chappel. Point I am trying to make is that the average at the end of a player's career is not how much he always averaged.

kingkallis

International Coach
I too think Lara > or == Richards,

Richards played against the ATGs like Lillee, Botham, Hadlee, Imran and good bowlers like Thomson, Kapil, Willis.

Also lets not forget that he played with some of the Windies greats like Greenidge, Lloyd, Haynes, Richardson hence less pressure on Viv.

Lara played against the likes of McGrath, McDermott, Donald, Pollock, Wasim, Waqar, Gough, Muralitharan, Warne, Kumble

Bowling attacks of 90s is considered the most lethal and thats the time where Lara played!

Lara had to face the song alone, cause he had only Chanderpaul or occassionally Jimmy Adams with him...

aussie tragic

International Captain
Bowling attacks of 90s is considered the most lethal and thats the time where Lara played!
Okay, so the 70-80's obviously had poor bowlers like Snow, Willis, Lillee, Thomson, Garner, Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Croft, Botham, Hadlee, Sarfraz, Imran, Dev, Akram, McDermott, Hughes....etc

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I also disagree with that. 80's pace bowlers marginally better than those of 90's. 90's spinners though substantially better than those of 80's.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If you're going to rate batsmen purely by their career averages then, yes, Viv Richards was not in the top handful of batsmen of all time.

What this tells me is, don't rate batsmen purely by their career averages.

Pretty simple really

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Okay, so the 70-80's obviously had poor bowlers like Snow, Willis, Lillee, Thomson, Garner, Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Croft, Botham, Hadlee, Sarfraz, Imran, Dev, Akram, McDermott, Hughes....etc
Not disagreeing with the point you are making in general, but do the names in bold really matter in this context?

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Please show ITT where kingkallis said 70/80s bowlers were poor?
I'll head over to youtube while you get the post.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Not disagreeing with the point you are making in general, but do the names in bold really matter in this context?
Considering that he qouted "Bowling attacks of 90s is considered the most lethal" I think yes, as I can't think of anything more lethal than the WI attack of the 80"s...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Considering that he qouted "Bowling attacks of 90s is considered the most lethal" I think yes, as I can't think of anything more lethal than the WI attack of the 80"s...
He didn't say 'pace attack'. Bowling attack of the 90s, as a whole, might be considered slightly better than that in the 80s (or 70s). In terms of pace bowling, they are certainly comparable; and in terms of spin bowling, well...

I don't think any other single decade saw as many great bowlers of different variety as the 90's: Muralitharan, McGrath, Ambrose, Akram, Donald, Warne, Waqar, Pollock, Walsh, Kumble etc...(not considering Imran, Kapil and Botham who were clearly past their prime by then)

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO if anything Viv Richards is underrated as a Test batsman - its just plain wrong to judge him on averages - if he'd been a man who chased records for the sake of it he'd have scored hundreds more runs, got out rather less often, and batted much more selfishly and for longer on decent tracks - couldn't stand him on a personal level - but the most awesome batsman I've ever seen

Himannv

International Coach
IMO if anything Viv Richards is underrated as a Test batsman - its just plain wrong to judge him on averages - if he'd been a man who chased records for the sake of it he'd have scored hundreds more runs, got out rather less often, and batted much more selfishly and for longer on decent tracks - couldn't stand him on a personal level - but the most awesome batsman I've ever seen
Agree with this, except the last line. His stats dont include the match winning qualities he had.

Agree with those that say Lara is better than Viv as a test batsman though. Personally feel that Lara is the third best batsman of all time after Bradman and Tendulkar.