• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Viv Richards an Overrated Test Batsman?

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm curious to know how Lara and Sachin are affected. Why? Because Lara hardly played Zim/Bang (if I recall correctly) while Sachin played them more I think...
Well the Pak team post the two Ws that Lara really feasted on in his late career( 2005 WI and 2006 Pak) had minnow level bowling attacks, tho that’s beside the point.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Note: All being done and said, id still to retirate this.
Removing Viv’s 1976 stats and showing him to be inferior to other ATGs is one of the most annoying takes I have seen.

He didn’t regularly average 45 throughout the rest of his career. 77-88: Av 50@ super high SR, in really tough era for batting. His slump(one of the worst for an ATG) dragged his post 76 output down. Plus played WSC for a decent period in his peak(1281@58), so inclusion of that would help post 76 stats and overall also. Viv also nearly scored one fifth of his runs in one year, so removing that is to judge him is quite ridiculous. His short terms peaks are some of the best ever(best after Bradman in my opinion), and the long term peak while being good and far from Sobers and Tendulkar level. Viv should be seen as a batsmen averaging 50 in total and nothing else. Not someone who was Damien Martyn apart from 1976, nor someone who could have averaged 52 or 53 outside his peak, because both his slump and peak are integral parts of his career.

Slifer

International Captain
Well the Pak team post the two Ws that Lara really feasted on in his late career( 2005 WI and 2006 Pak) had minnow level bowling attacks, tho that’s beside the point.
He isn't the only one that feasted on them if you want to go there. And the WI bowling after Walsh retired? They were minnows level too if you want to go there. I just asked a simple question......

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
He isn't the only one that feasted on them if you want to go there. And the WI bowling after Walsh retired? They were minnows level too if you want to go there. I just asked a simple question......
Yes sure. But he did feast on them. How does it matter if the WI bowling was minnow level of not? We are talking about Lara’s opposition’s bowling, and this pertains(but doesn’t completely answer) to your question because you wanted their stats with runs against minnows removed.

Slifer

International Captain
Yes sure. But he did feast on them. How does it matter if the WI bowling was minnow level of not? We are talking about Lara’s opposition’s bowling, and this pertains(but doesn’t completely answer) to your question because you wanted their stats with runs against minnows removed.
Dude chill out I just wanted to see how each batman was affected if zim/bang are taken out. You're the one who brought in Pakistan which was completely irrelevant to my request. I just did likewise, bringing up an irrelevant argument about how others feasted on WI.

Anyway, thanks Coronis for providing the info that I asked for.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Dude chill out I just wanted to see how each batman was affected if zim/bang are taken out. You're the one who brought in Pakistan which was completely irrelevant to my request. I just did likewise, bringing up an irrelevant argument about how others feasted on WI.

Anyway, thanks Coronis for providing the info that I asked for.
My mistake dude. Missed reading the part of your post that said bang/Zim.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm curious to know how Lara and Sachin are affected. Why? Because Lara hardly played Zim/Bang (if I recall correctly) while Sachin played them more I think...
Zimbabwe until 2001 or so were bad but not bad enough to be removed entirely imo. India and Pakistan both lost a test series to them. Post 2001 Zimb and Bangladesh until about 2015 were complete minnows who had no hope against anyone.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Zimbabwe until 2001 or so were bad but not bad enough to be removed entirely imo. India and Pakistan both lost a test series to them. Post 2001 Zimb and Bangladesh until about 2015 were complete minnows who had no hope against anyone.
Agree with this too. Though I would set the date at 99 than 2001 and also the start date at 96. They really were competitive in tests for only that very short window.

Slifer

International Captain
Agree with this too. Though I would set the date at 99 than 2001 and also the start date at 96. They really were competitive in tests for only that very short window.
Yeah when they had Heath Streak they certainly had an ok attack. Imo Kyle Jarvis could've done well as well but for politics.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, the time of Flower brothers, Johnson, Goodwin and Streak. The Strangs, Whittalls and Olonga were decent support cast too.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah when they had Heath Streak they certainly had an ok attack. Imo Kyle Jarvis could've done well as well but for politics.
Yes. Jarvis and Vitori were forming a potentially nice opening pair before Jarvis left and Vitori fell off. I am hoping they get better again. There are promising signs with Chatara and Muzarabani.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Cmon that was a mostly batting intensive series (both top scoring 500+ in 3 matches (and the one that came in 2007 series, same thing.
I recall us being bowled out by Kaneria. And all the more shame if we could not even beat them in a "batting intensive" series.