Page 45 of 61 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 675 of 905

Thread: ESPNcricinfo World XI

  1. #661
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,221
    Andrew Miller went with Gavaskar and Sehwag as his openers!Amazing how Sehwag splits opinion-some swear that he is a FTB and some have him in their AT side.

  2. #662
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Ian Chappell also has Sehwag in his team.

  3. #663
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,732
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I still feel quite strongly that Imran got done by that stupid one all rounder rule for ESPN. With 2 all rounders you could have had such a good balance.
    You could have had two all-rounders. They obviously didn't want it.
    ★★★★★

  4. #664
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,732
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    You can use this argument for just about any other bowler. Not only Wasim. Considering that Waqar's in-swinging yorkers were more effective than Wasim's why not include him???
    You can as every bowler is different and will bring their own kind of natural variety; but it's pretty pronounced when you consider right arm v left arm. I'm not saying that this point by itself is good enough; but it's worth considering.


  5. #665
    International Captain Himannv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SL
    Posts
    6,237
    Wasim > Waqar IMO. Far more consistently good for more than a decade. Could do pretty much anything he wanted with a ball. Pretty much the best ever left arm seamer of all time.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

  6. #666
    International Captain weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    6,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    Wasim > Waqar IMO. Far more consistently good for more than a decade. Could do pretty much anything he wanted with a ball. Pretty much the best ever left arm seamer of all time.
    This.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

  7. #667
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    Wasim > Waqar IMO. Far more consistently good for more than a decade. Could do pretty much anything he wanted with a ball. Pretty much the best ever left arm seamer of all time.
    Waqar > Wasim

    Waqar at his peak > everyone

    And hypothetically speaking I only want him at his best.

    (Note: This argument doesn't apply to the peaks of every player since Waqar was exceptionally good for a period of 3+ years, consistency over a period of time is important but that doesn't necessarily mean that a guy who is B+ to A- bowler every year over 12 years is better than a guy who for 3 years was an A+ bowler and a B to B- bowler over 9 others. Excellence over a decent patches of time is important. )
    Direbirds FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

  8. #668
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    Wasim > Waqar IMO. Far more consistently good for more than a decade. Could do pretty much anything he wanted with a ball. Pretty much the best ever left arm seamer of all time.
    I have to agree with this. As awesome as Waqar was in his peak, I'd take Wasim's well-roundedness against all opposition. But Wasim also loses some points in my book if he was involved in dressing-room politics, undermining team unity etc. Not sure about all that.

  9. #669
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I have to agree with this. As awesome as Waqar was in his peak, I'd take Wasim's well-roundedness against all opposition. But Wasim also loses some points in my book if he was involved in dressing-room politics, undermining team unity etc. Not sure about all that.
    He was not just involved in that stuff, his brother is one of the biggest bookies in Lahore apparently.

    How do you end up owning a golf course and so much highly luxurious stuff when there was no IPL or big bucks from the board with ways of central contracts and stuff.

    But regardless still the best left arm fast bowler imo.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

  10. #670
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Waqar > Wasim

    Waqar at his peak > everyone

    And hypothetically speaking I only want him at his best.

    (Note: This argument doesn't apply to the peaks of every player since Waqar was exceptionally good for a period of 3+ years, consistency over a period of time is important but that doesn't necessarily mean that a guy who is B+ to A- bowler every year over 12 years is better than a guy who for 3 years was an A+ bowler and a B to B- bowler over 9 others. Excellence over a decent patches of time is important. )
    With some pretty ordinary last few years in test cricket Waqar still finished with a strike rate of 43. YES 43. Ian Chappell called Dennis Lillee a captain's dream and a batsman's nightmare. I think it would have applied to so much well to waqar in his heydays. That reverse swinging yorker was phenomenal and will always stick in my mind. Maybe as Athlai once said we should call the in-swinging yorker as "The Waqar".

    I remember an analysis of bowlers on cricinfo and in quality of batsmen dismissed it was Imran who led the way amongst Pakistani bowlers, followed by Waqar and then Wasim was a distant third.

    And yeah sorry to say but Wasim because of his politics did ruin Waqar's career post 1997

  11. #671
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    6,364
    I read from pretty unreliable sources that Wasim deliberately underbowled during the mid-nineties when the rivalry between them was particularly pronounced. Dunno If it's true.

    Anyway, My point is, Waqar was so good in those five years that his stats even if considered for the period of a decade are pretty much arguably better than anyone else. It was the 3 years he carried on when he was a particularly poor aging bowler and Pak happened to play a lot of cricket that, you could say, 'diminished' his record i.e. If you say 400 wickets @ 23 looks anything like a diminished record. He should have just retired in 2000 like Ambrose did.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams



    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

    It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

  12. #672
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I read from pretty unreliable sources that Wasim deliberately underbowled during the mid-nineties when the rivalry between them was particularly pronounced. Dunno If it's true.

    Anyway, My point is, Waqar was so good in those five years that his stats even if considered for the period of a decade are pretty much arguably better than anyone else. It was the 3 years he carried on when he was a particularly poor aging bowler and Pak happened to play a lot of cricket that, you could say, 'diminished' his record i.e. If you say 400 wickets @ 23 looks anything like a diminished record. He should have just retired in 2000 like Ambrose did.


    Are you talking about Wasim or Waqar in this bold part????

  13. #673
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,732
    I'd like to see Waqar's career break-up representing his trough. Because even in the latter part of his career he still had an excellent average and strike rate.

  14. #674
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki;2354486[B
    ]I'd like to see Waqar's career break-up representing his trough.[/B] Because even in the latter part of his career he still had an excellent average and strike rate.
    Where can we get that?????

  15. #675
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,732
    Actually, just looked it up, from 99 onwards he averaged 29 and struck at 51. Excellent SR but merely pretty good average. Having said that, his 99 year - especially the series against India - is the one that's really bad.
    Last edited by Ikki; 26-10-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Page 45 of 61 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best World Cup 2010 Promos
    By silentstriker in forum 2010 Football World Cup - South Africa
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •