• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ESPNcricinfo World XI

smash84

The Tiger King
He is, Isn't he? Tendulkar averaged 60 over a 10 year period during the 90s too. Most ATG batsmen averaging 50+ have had periods of 3+ years averaging over 60.
WHAT???? He averaged 60+ over a 10 year period???? My God I didn't know that. Sachin has come up a level in my ratings (well he was pretty high up there any way).

I don't know about Ricky though. I don;t think he is rated as highly given that he has had an excellent record.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar, Ponting and Lara are generally acknowledged as the best batsmen of the last two decades. And there has been some pretty stiff competition in that time, from Steve Waugh, Kallis, Dravid, Inzamam, Sangakkara etc.

Teja.

Global Moderator
WHAT???? He averaged 60+ over a 10 year period???? My God I didn't know that. Sachin has come up a level in my ratings (well he was pretty high up there any way).

I don't know about Ricky though. I don;t think he is rated as highly given that he has had an excellent record.
Yeah, averages 63 from 1993-2002. An even better achievement is averaging 58 in the 90s, IMHO, Despite being a teenager finding his feet in test cricket for the first two of those years.

The two closest to him are Waugh who averages 5 lower and Lara who averages 6.5 lower. He has more hundreds than anyone else(22!) despite playing only 69 matches. Lara who played 65 has 13. Waugh who played 89 has 18.

He now averages 57 overall in a 21 year career. ****ing incredible. I think he's gonna touch 60 by the time he retires.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, averages 63 from 1993-2002. An even better achievement is averaging 58 in the 90s, IMHO, Despite being a teenager finding his feet in test cricket for the first two of those years.

The two closest to him are Waugh who averages 5 lower and Lara who averages 6.5 lower. He has more hundreds than anyone else(22!) despite playing only 69 matches. Lara who played 65 has 13. Waugh who played 89 has 18.

He now averages 57 overall in a 21 year career. ****ing incredible. I think he's gonna touch 60 by the time he retires.
Wonder where would his average be if we remove the bad phase from 2004-2007.

smash84

The Tiger King

My God. Those figures are out of this world. An average of 58 in the 90s????? That is fan****ingtastic...........

How ****ty was he in that 3 year period 2004-2007???? And consider the fact that most of the good attacks (except for Australia) were not around during that phase. Meaning that he played better cricket when there were better bowling attacks around.

G.I.Joe

International Coach

Will need to average 100 over the next 29 Tests if he's to do it by the 200 Test mark. IMO, he'll play on, though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
GI Joe is like the kid who yells out stuff from the back of the classroom, wanting to be both funny and smart at the same time, and ends up being neither :ph34r:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Needs to average 85.33 in the next 30 completed innings to do it by my calculations.
Correct!
he needs to score 851 runs more than his current average in the next 30 innings hence 28.37 (851/30) runs per innings above his current average, so overall he must average 85.33 at least (28.37 + 56.96) over the next 30 COMPLETED innings.

Teja.

Global Moderator
His average went up from 56.11 to 56.96, a jump of 0.85 from the last game where he scored 214 and 53*, I was hoping it'll hit 60 with 4-5 big knocks.

smash84

The Tiger King
His average went up from 56.11 to 56.96, a jump of 0.85 from the last game where he scored 214 and 53*, I was hoping it'll hit 60 with 4-5 big knocks.
With an average of 2 big knocks (almost 300 runs in the match) he almost went from 56 to 57, a difference of 1 run. With 5-6 knocks like this he might touch actually touch 60.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well since when was G.I. Joe ever right?:ph34r:
GI Joe is like the kid who yells out stuff from the back of the classroom, wanting to be both funny and smart at the same time, and ends up being neither :ph34r:
Joni with the smackdown.
Usage of the ninja smiley gives Flem and Joni the free pass.

But Marc, oh dear. Oh dear, indeed.

Cevno is right, BTW. I forgot to discount for not outs.

bagapath

International Captain
can i tell you that, one week after the team was announced, i feel my heart fill up with warmth that sir len hutton has made it to the first XI? I was somewhat **** sure that sunny gavaskar would partner jack hobbs in this team because hutton has been consistently ranked lower than those two in all such exercises (ESPN lengends, Benaud's XI). With such an impeccable record as an opener, I think sir len deserves to be given the honor of taking on any fast bowler first up anywhere in the world. and hobbs beating gavaskar by one point is also perfectly acceptable for even a hardcore sunny fan like me. good job jury!

Last edited: