• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ESPNcricinfo World XI

Teja.

Global Moderator
great idea....

here is the changed ODI XI...

Tendulkar (ind)
Jayasuriya (SL)
Richards (WI)
Kallis (SA)
A Flower - WK (zim)
Fairbrother (eng 1)
Ryan TD- (neth)
Shakib (bang)
Hadlee - (nz)
Akram - (pak)
Mcgrath (aus)

will give full quota of overs to mcgrath, hadlee and akram. RTD, shakib, sanath and kallis can easily split the other 20 overs between them.
Shaun Pollock - 393 wickets @ 24.5 @ an ER of 3.67
3519 runs @ 26.45 @ a SR of 86.69

Flem274*

123/5
I think one of the telling parts of that article. Those batsmen who succeeded in that period were ****ing beasts. Three highly underrated batsmen in there as well: Andrew Jones, Robin Smith and Shoaib Mohammad.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think one of the telling parts of that article. Those batsmen who succeeded in that period were ****ing beasts. Three highly underrated batsmen in there as well: Andrew Jones, Robin Smith and Shoaib Mohammad.
True. Although Shoaib would be right up there in my all time boring batsmen to watch XI.

But those batsmen were ****ing awesome indeed.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah...but look at his record. It's not like he succeeded greatly against the best attacks.

smash84

The Tiger King
**** I love that Imran article. Great analysis. Just makes me love him even more.
Me too.

Rarely has a single cricketer ever been so missed in a country like Imran in Pakistan.

And in that article Rajesh has given his WSC stats. An average of 20.84 isn't too bad I suppose. Hard to judge though since the stats of other bowlers in WSC are not given.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah...but look at his record. It's not like he succeeded greatly against the best attacks.
Everyone had a pretty decent set of bowlers in that period tbf. One of the best micro-periods of bowling ever.

He was an hometown Australasian hero, though tbf he didn't play many series away from home barring Australia. He only played 2 tests against the West Indies, which is hardly a great sample size.

But considering an All Time NZ XI would play a fair few home matches, he deserves a go. It is hard to judge whether he gets in ahead of Dempster or Donnelly, because while the consensus is they were fantastic batsmen, they barely played because of either the ban on County players (Dempster) or the war (Donnelly), so they're judged on First Class records as much as test results. Jones played a fair number of tests during a difficult era and did well.

You also have to remember it's only in the past few decades New Zealand has produced good batsmen on a consistent basis, so Jones has less competition.;)

So I'm still deciding :p.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the biggest takeaway from that article for me, personally, was that he was very effective as an allrounder, for a good 8-9 years in his peak, whereas I had formed a mistaken impression from reading some posts here that he was a bowler who could bat a bit in the first part of his career, and vice versa later on.

In that brief period in the early '80s when he dominated series against India and Australia, he must have been absolutely sensational. 47 odd with the bat and 14 (:-O) with the ball.

smash84

The Tiger King
Imran Khan :notworthy
:)

Ankit is this you on cricinfo????

"To any objective mind, free of patriotic emotions there should be little doubt that Imran Khan is the greatest that subcontinent has produced. Murali comes next and then Tendulkar.".....

Good Lord, Imran was a freak.
This stats analysis from Rajesh is superb. Really brings out the best days if Imran. From 1980-88 his average and SR are just outstanding. Even better than Hadlee and Marshall. And his wpm are lower than Hadlee's but almost equal to Marshall.

I think the biggest takeaway from that article for me, personally, was that he was very effective as an allrounder, for a good 8-9 years in his peak, whereas I had formed a mistaken impression from reading some posts here that he was a bowler who could bat a bit in the first part of his career, and vice versa later on.

In that brief period in the early '80s when he dominated series against India and Australia, he must have been absolutely sensational. 47 odd with the bat and 14 (:-O) with the ball.
Actually I never knew about that Australian series and that he had performed so well in that series.

And even then they left out Imran.:@

Teja.

Global Moderator
In the very distant possibility that Tendulkar plays till the end of 2012 and averages 70+ from Dec 2009 to Dec 2012, I'll have Tendulkar over both.

smash84

The Tiger King
In the very distant possibility that Tendulkar plays till the end of 2012 and averages 70+ from Dec 2009 to Dec 2012, I'll have Tendulkar over both.
Ricky Ponting did something similar somewhere in the 2000s didn't he???