• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ESPNcricinfo World XI

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Decided to be a bit democratic and ensure that every nation was represented

B.Richards
J.Hobbs
D.Bradman
V.Richards
S.Tendulkar
G.Sobers
A.Gilchrist
R.Hadlee
W.Akram
M.Marshall
M.Muralitharan

Would have had Imran over Akram if there hadn't been that stupid 2 allrounders limit
Still, it's a pretty good team.
Great team.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Decided to be a bit democratic and ensure that every nation was represented

B.Richards
J.Hobbs
D.Bradman
V.Richards
S.Tendulkar
G.Sobers
A.Gilchrist
R.Hadlee
W.Akram
M.Marshall
M.Muralitharan

Would have had Imran over Akram if there hadn't been that stupid 2 allrounders limit
Still, it's a pretty good team.
Had 7 from 8 without even thinking about it tbh. Would just need a jarpie in my team.

TumTum

Banned
Sir Leonard Hutton
Sunil Gavaskar
Sir Donald Bradman
Sir Viv Richards
Graeme Pollock
Sir Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath

Teja.

Global Moderator
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Sir Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Kumar Sangakkara(Wk)
Allan Border
Imran Khan(C)
Sir Richard Hadlee
Sydney Barnes
Waqar Younis
Malcolm Marshall

Teja.

Global Moderator
If given full control over my AT XI, I would have chosen,

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist(Wk)
Kieth Miller
Imran Khan(C)
Shaun Pollock
Richard Hadlee
Sydney Barnes

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As good as Sanga is, I think Gilchrist has to be an automatic pick at this point. Sanga just doesn't have enough centuries away from the subcontinent, yet, whereas Gilchrist has played big match-turning or match-winning knocks virtually everywhere.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  1. Jack Hobbs
  2. Sunil Gavaskar
  3. Donald Bradman
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Greg Chappell
  6. Garry Sobers
  7. Adam Gilchrist(Wk)
  8. Imran Khan
  9. Malcolm Marshall
  10. Sydney Barnes
  11. Glenn McGrath

vcs

Yes, that too. He averages 40 with the gloves which is still fantastic, mind you. But even if he had the same record keeping every game, I'd have still just preferred Gilchrist.

Teja.

Global Moderator
As good as Sanga is, I think Gilchrist has to be an automatic pick at this point. Sanga just doesn't have enough centuries away from the subcontinent, yet, whereas Gilchrist has played big match-turning or match-winning knocks virtually everywhere.
Given full control, I'd pick Gilchrist. But, within the limitations of the selection where I'm forced to take only 2 all rounders and 3 bowlers making me have to pick Hadlee and Imran and therefore not deriving the benefits of an ATG Batsman like Sobers coming in late, I'd rather have the technical adeptness of Sanga over the destruction of Gilchrist.

In my actual AT XI where I could have both Sobers and Border after the top four and then have batting depth in the bowlers after the Wk, I'd pick Gilchrist. I hope this makes sense. :p

vcs

Given full control, I'd pick Gilchrist. But, within the limitations of the selection where I'm forced to take only 2 all rounders and 3 bowlers making me have to pick Hadlee and Imran and therefore not deriving the benefits of an ATG Batsman like Sobers coming in late, I'd rather have the technical adeptness of Sanga over the destruction of Gilchrist.

In my actual AT XI where I could have both Sobers and Border after the top four and then have batting depth in the bowlers after the Wk, I'd pick Gilchrist. I hope this makes sense. :p
Ah, sorry. I was too lazy to read the actual rules. :p

Daemon

Couldn't find a spot for the Don unfortunately. Kevin Pieterson just edged him out on that no.3 spot

Teja.

Global Moderator
Not to mention that Sangakkara was not a great batsman when he kept.
Nah, His peak just coincided with him leaving the gloves IMO. This is like saying Sanga would have been dead-set second greatest Batsman of all-time averaging over 70 if he had not taken up the gloves because he averages as much without the gloves.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, His peak just coincided with him leaving the gloves IMO.
True.

Still, the fact remains that he hasn't kept the wicket and batted excellently at the same time, for whatever reasons. If he plays as a wicketkeeper-batsman, he has to do that. We don't know if he can concentrate on his batting after keeping for a day and a half (he might do well, but that's a conjecture).

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
An intelligent and insightful discussion on why Akhtar is better than Bradman
I too think Akhtar is better than Bradman. Bradman too got a few test wickets, but he wasn't consistently good as a test bowler. He preferred not to bowl in most of the occasions. On the other hand, Akhtar was the bowling spearhead in his side, bowled inswinging yorkers at 155 kmph. I guess you are right, Akhtar is the better bowler. Anyone who thinks otherwise is surely overrating Bradman.