• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ESPNcricinfo World XI

smash84

The Tiger King
I so agree with you on that. I saw Bhogle's XI on Twitter and he disappointed me by not picking Murali, Imran, Hadlee and Barnes. He had Warne, Wasim, Lillee and Marshall in his attack. I mean Wasim over Imran? Are you kidding Mr. Bhogle?
What???? He really did that???? Can you post Harsha's XI here ankit? And in test match cricket Imran is much better. I always felt that Harsha gave undue credit to Wasim. They have also interacted a lot in the media too. It might have colored his perception. Can't say for sure though. Although Harsha's assessment of Imran initially was not quite flattering.

I think this is the likely XI based on cricinfo need to be Pc and other biases:

Hobbs
Hutton/Gavaskar
Don
Sachin
Sobers
Imran
Gilchrist+
Warne
Lillee
Barnes
Murali
Nah......I think they will definitely put Richards into the side. I can't see how they can omit him. I am not sure Sachin is a good fit in the middle order here where he has Greg Chappell, Lara, Headley, G Pollock,and Viv pit against him. There is too much competition for his spot for my liking. Since Don is cemented in there and Sobers walks in purely as a lower order batsman.

And yes I agree that 2 of Sobers, Imran and Hadlee should be there to bring more balance to the side. But yeah Imran and Murali will fight for their spot. And it would be a pity that if they select only one player from Pakistan (and that too is an IF) and they select Wasim (who IMO does not belong in this team).

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What???? He really did that???? Can you post Harsha's XI here ankit? And in test match cricket Imran is much better. I always felt that Harsha gave undue credit to Wasim. They have also interacted a lot in the media too. It might have colored his perception. Can't say for sure though. Although Harsha's assessment of Imran initially was not quite flattering.
Harsha's was a please all XI :laugh:

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee

Harsha's XI showed a lack of grip on Cricket's history IMHO. And I am afraid that might more or less be the final XI. Only Marshall and Akram might face competition from Imran and McGrath. But don't see any of the other 9 being left out.

smash84

The Tiger King
An exciting fast bowler like one of the Ws in their peak suits this XI perfectly & one fo them has to be in IMO.

He is an entertainer fore sure. But as i said againts a strong hypotetical opposition pace atack facing the likes of a Hadlee/Marshall/Trueman/Donald/Ambrose etc. I could see him failing againts them more often that he would last long to entertain, which would defeat the purpse of this XIs consistently.

That why i'd pick another aggressive/entertaining opener like a Greenidge would be good enough to score runs consistently againts a strong hypotetical quality attack consistently.
I think on current form he it might be a closer run even against the best attacks.

smash84

The Tiger King

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee

Harsha's XI showed a lack of grip on Cricket's history IMHO. And I am afraid that might more or less be the final XI. Only Marshall and Akram might face competition from Imran and McGrath. But don't see any of the other 9 being left out.
True. Although I do feel Sachin has a tough competition for the number 4 spot. Harsha's XI is not that bad actually. Agreed that the panel might actually differ on Marshall

When is the cricinfo XI coming out.

Matt79

Global Moderator

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee

That's a pretty damned good XI - Imran for Lillee is really the only definite improvement I'd make. It would be a toss up as to whether one of Wasim or Warne made way for Murali. Don't understand the criticism tbh - other than leaving out Imran which I'm sure he said was due to team balance (ie disnt felt he needed a second allrounder - Lillee > Imran in bowling terms is not popular on CW, but is not considered unreasonable in most circles.).

Matt79

Global Moderator
True. Although I do feel Sachin has a tough competition for the number 4 spot. Harsha's XI is not that bad actually. Agreed that the panel might actually differ on Marshall

When is the cricinfo XI coming out.
There is more chance of John Howard beating out Warne and Murali for the spinners slot than there is of Tendulkar missing out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Absolutely nothing wrong with Harsha's XI. You may disagree, but hardly an unreasonable team :dry:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Absolutely nothing wrong with Harsha's XI. You may disagree, but hardly an unreasonable team :dry:
It's good but it's little too predictable :D

Absence of both Imran and Hadlee is my biggest complain (at least one of them should be in).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not really. Marshall often doesn't get his due in the media, and Akram doesn't make many people's World XIs.

Edit: I see you mentioned that they may be left out.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I thought hard and finally decided on this At XI. I understand it might look a little bizarre. :p

Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Gary Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Kieth Miller
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Muttiah Muralitharan
Sydney Barnes

Walter Hammond (12th man)

Apologies to Gavaskar, Border, Headley, S Pollock and Waqar

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
@Teja - I totally love your bowling attack. However cricinfo lets you pick only two all-rounders, and you have four :D

Matt79

Global Moderator
It's good but it's little too predictable :D

Absence of both Imran and Hadlee is my biggest complain (at least one of them should be in).
It's always easier to name the couple of people who "should" be in than it is to name which couple of people who are in "should" come out though. If he'd put in Imran and Hadlee in place of Wasim and Lillee, he'd have a near equal amount of people bagging him for that. Without derailing this thread into another Lillee - God or Sub-continental Spud debate - or Lillee vs Hadlee thread, it's interesting that this is another case of someone who actually saw Lillee bowling putting him in ahead of people like Hadlee and McGrath. It's a pretty consistent pattern, and a testament to what an amazing bowler he must have been to watch.

Matt79

Global Moderator
@Teja - I totally love your bowling attack. However cricinfo lets you pick only two all-rounders, and you have four :D
Ah, is that the case? I can't see any grounds for knocking Bogle for not including Imran and Hadlee then.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah, that was my AT XI with no restrictions. My Cricinfo XI would be:-

Sir Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Sir Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Walter Hammond
Adam Gilchrist(Wk)
Imran Khan(C)
Sir Richard Hadlee
Sydney Barnes
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ah, is that the case? I can't see any grounds for knocking Bogle for not including Imran and Hadlee then.
But Bhogle has only one all-rounder in Sobers. There's place for one more.

And I take that I may have been a little unreasonable in criticizing Harsha's choices. It's good enough, though I may disagree (and might quibble about including as many as 8 from post 70's era)

Himannv

International Coach
Definitely a top team picked by Harsha. However I have to say that I'm looking for a bit more variety after seeing Chappell's team which was full of dashers. Nice to see something more unconventional for a change.