• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand - The Next Big Thing?

The Flying Kiwi

Cricket Spectator
It has come to my attention lately that New Zealand could seriously look at becoming the next powerhouse of international cricket in just a couple of years time. While our current ICC ranking is shamefully below what we accurately represent as a cricketing nation, I think we have the players and coach to seriously challenge as one of the world's best teams before too long.

Already we have some superb depth in our lineup - the likes of Jesse Ryder, Martin Guptill and Ross Taylor in our batting lineup while in our bowling we boast some very impressive players, such as Daniel Vettori and Kyle Mills. That is not to mention that these two can also play majestic innings with the bat when required.

Still, I am leaving out the young stars though that will transform our currently-strong lineup into a world beating classy outfit. Kane Williamson has shown huge potential and is already arguably a better player than the likes of other touted stars, such as Umar Akmal and Eoin Morgan. But wait! I am forgetting Tim Southee! At just 21 he could play for another fifteen years and already I am more impressed by him than I am by the likes of Stuart Broad or Mitchell Johnson, who really are extremely overhyped. I am so excited about our future, this really should be amazing.

Let's not forget our recent results though. While our ICC ranking is poorly misguided, why don't we just take a look at our results? On the 22nd of May, 2010, we decimated the Sri Lankans for just 92 runs all out - with none other than Kyle Mills, Scott "Champion" Styris and Daniel Vettori proving to be the key factors. Now, let's look at India who are currently ranked as the top team in the world, although this is hugely arguable. Playing against Sri Lanka, they consistently allowed the Lankans to post massive, ludicrous scores such as 8/520, 4/642, 425 - and that's only in three test matches! This is the same team that we bowled out for just 92! Can you see the difference, people?!

Now, judging the 4/642 innings, Sri Lanka would've gone on to make approximately 1605 runs if they had not have declared. This figure is 17.44 times bigger than the one we bowled Sri Lanka out for. However, that is a bit unfair so taking into account all measurements and factors such as the pitch, weather and conditions I think that should only be around 10 times better. Still, we are 10 times better than India! Yet they are ranked above us on the Test leaderboard?

I think the ICC need to sort out their priorities here. This is a blatant disgrace and as you can see I am unhappy. Good will always triumph over evil in the end - with the ICC being evil and New Zealand being good - but for the time being it's an absolute farce.

Please share your opinions on this ridiculous situation.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's the Anti-Bahnz!

I'm liking this guy already. Positive thinking and a Wellingtonian. Not sure I share all the positive sentiments, mind.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hi Jake, and welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy your time here.

I think NZ will improve over the next few years, provided they get to play more tests, and are able to keep some of these blokes onthe park long enough.

Their bowling is always difficult to face at home so they're a chance there always I think. they may struggle away though.

I dunno if they'll end up the next powerhouse, but I can see them improving big time. :)

Scaly Piscine to respond.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love the optimism. It's contagious, but I'll resist catching it at all costs - it'll just hurt too much next time we slide to 27-5.

The Flying Kiwi

Cricket Spectator
Thanks guys for your support, I am starting to like you all as well.

It's good that people are finally understanding my views, on previous occasions I have been ridiculed, humiliated and blatantly shunned from communities for sharing my opinions. However, it seems I have finally found a decent cricket community who have some reasonable knowledge unlike the other dismal forums who cannot appreciate my views. I really feel accepted here.

Flem274*

123/5
I think this is an appropriate thread to tell the world all about Central Districts' awesomeness.

Adddaaaaammmmmmm Miiiiiiiilllllllllllllnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Flying Kiwi

Cricket Spectator
Jake right, or is it Blake, hmmmmm.
I have heard rumours of these two and I feel extremely humbled that you are actually even considering me to be one of these two gods. However, I am just a regular Kiwi fan who shares a deep passion for the sport, not some superhuman legend.