• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The lucky bowlers, and the luckless ones

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not really statistically viable as a means of quantifying luck. But the article's good fun nonetheless.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd like to know they defined "rapped on the pads" particularly after seeing Giles top the list of the unluckiest bowlers.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't understand how you bowl less balls that can potentially take a wicket than balls that actually do take a wicket.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't understand how you bowl less balls that can potentially take a wicket than balls that actually do take a wicket.
Hayward's ratio certainly had me bemused too. To be perfectly honest, and although the Numbers Game often produces some very good analysis, I can't really buy into this set of statistics.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hayward's ratio certainly had me bemused too. To be perfectly honest, and although the Numbers Game often produces some very good analysis, I can't really buy into this set of statistics.
Obviously he's had a fair few wickets caught off the middle of the bat.

Xuhaib

International Coach
sometimes the argument that a bowler being unlucky is a very filmsy argument put forward by crap bowler supporters.Sami fans are often using this to support their argument.Both Aamer and Asif have had quite a lot of drops of their bowling in the last 12 months yet they are still able to create enough chances to keep their averages low.If you are a good bowler eventually you will get your rewards as long as you are consistent the problem with Sami is he is just not patient enough.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Finally a table of bowlers with plenty of Indians in it. Get in! :D

Flem274*

123/5
All the unlucky bowlers are average at best....

All the lucky bowlers are very good bowlers....

Somehow I don't think luck comes into this at all. It's who makes the most chances, because there are always going to be dropped catches in cricket.

Jayzamann

International Regular
I'd like to know they defined "rapped on the pads" particularly after seeing Giles top the list of the unluckiest bowlers.
Might have just ran a query to find how many times key terms like 'rapped' and 'pads' were used when in relation to his bowling. You can get rapped on the pads a few times per over, but as long as it's pitching a foot outside leg it means nothing. :ph34r:

I enjoy S Rajesh's articles, but this was... a long bow.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Stats since September 2001 hey?

Maybe Richard is right, cricket did change after September 2001 :ph34r:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It's a very interesting analysis. I wish he had expanded upon the findings some more. It might not be perfect, but I'm sure some strange statistical oddities could be found within the data.

Himannv

International Coach
I always used to think that Brett Less was a bit unlucky. I've seen him bowl exceptionally well at times and not get as many wickets as he should have.

Macgil was a bit lucky I reckon. Very often he seemed to get wickets off a loose delivery.