• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The lucky bowlers, and the luckless ones

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Any article that calls Warne unlucky is a stupid one.
Not sure about that. The article shows that Warne bowled a lot of potential wicket-taking balls. I'm not sure how accurately they determined PWT balls but I can tell you by watching him you really did think ... "****, that was close" numerous times throughout his spells. It's what made him so great to watch. Makes a lot of sense to me in that respect.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm not sure how accurately they determined PWT balls
Why is this such a massive mystery to everyone? It clearly states in the article:

Every time a batsman played and missed, edged, or was rapped on the pads, it went down as a potential wicket-taking delivery.

Anyway, I get the feeling that leg spinners are going to come across as more unlucky in general, because of the severe turn they get. They'll get more plays and misses than other bowlers as they turn it past the edge. MacGill, Warne and Kaneria are all up there which backs that up a bit.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Why is this such a massive mystery to everyone? It clearly states in the article:

Every time a batsman played and missed, edged, or was rapped on the pads, it went down as a potential wicket-taking delivery.

Anyway, I get the feeling that leg spinners are going to come across as more unlucky in general, because of the severe turn they get. They'll get more plays and misses than other bowlers as they turn it past the edge. MacGill, Warne and Kaneria are all up there which backs that up a bit.
Because it's not clearly defined. Is an inside edge that roles behind square leg considered a potential wicket-taking delivery?

Interesting article though it must be said.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Luck incorporates everything in the world that is not in the bowler's control, but has an impact on how many wickets he takes. It's absurd to think you can make a judgment on which bowlers are lucky by statistical means (or indeed by any other means). I'm quite confident the writer of the article knows this and is merely mentally masturbating.

Top_Cat

Yeah, no.

EDIT: Ugh, he has an MBA. That explains the dodgy stats work.

Last edited:

vcs

Luck incorporates everything in the world that is not in the bowler's control, but has an impact on how many wickets he takes. It's absurd to think you can make a judgment on which bowlers are lucky by statistical means (or indeed by any other means). I'm quite confident the writer of the article knows this and is merely mentally masturbating.
Aren't we all? :ph34r:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The ****tiest pile of ****, this. Luckier bowlers are those with a good captain and a good fielding unit, all others are unlucky unless too many patriotic umpires helped them on home soil. This is how you describe lucky and unlucky bowlers. And there's no way this can be quantified, sorry.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Its definitely true you find bowlers who happen to be unlucky and those who are the opposite, but we can't really determine it through his stats, they're too vague. The only one with any merit was the dropped catches one.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Because it's not clearly defined. Is an inside edge that roles behind square leg considered a potential wicket-taking delivery?

Interesting article though it must be said.
Nah. Just a minor stroke of luck which is inevitable in any innings and that will never result in a dismissal. Which is par of the game & shouldn't ever be dwelled upon.

Burgey

Ian Botham deadset threw up more wicket-taking pies than any other bowler I've seen.

Bob Willis was so right to refer to him as Golden Bollocks. Guy just had a crazy knack for wicket-taking.

That's not to sledge him btw, he was a grand cricketer.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ian Botham deadset threw up more wicket-taking pies than any other bowler I've seen.

Bob Willis was so right to refer to him as Golden Bollocks. Guy just had a crazy knack for wicket-taking.

That's not to sledge him btw, he was a grand cricketer.
Johnson falls in the same bracket.