• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time ****ing **** XIs for each nation (test and ODI)

Flem274*

123/5
Partly inspired by G.I. Hoe's thread, and partly inspired by looking at Blair Hartland's cricinfo page.

Test or ODI, doesn't matter, bring in the filth. Pretty sure I could make an NZ XI from the late 80s to mid 90s alone. Qualification 5 ODIs/3 tests, that should be a reasonable sample size, and ensure the true "wtf how did they play so many games?" players get in.

I'm nominating Blair Hartland and Phil Horne to open the batting for New Zealand in both forms.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm guessing this is for the proper gash players? Rather than the likes of Ramprakash who's a quality batsman who failed, hard, at International level?

Jarquis

Test :

Geoff Cook
Brian Rose
Wayne Larkin
Bill Athey
David Capel (nosebleed at 5 but meh, dunno)
Chris Cowdrey
Steve Rhodes
Ian Salisbury
Ashley Giles
Saj Mahmood :p (?)
Greg Thomas (?)

Dunno tbh

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
1) Ravindra Jadeja
2) Ravindra Jadeja
3) Ravindra Jadeja
4) Ravindra Jadeja
5) Ravindra Jadeja
6) Ravindra Jadeja
7) Ravindra Jadeja
8) Ravindra Jadeja
9) Ravindra Jadeja
10) Ravindra Jadeja
11) Ravindra Jadeja
tbh

Flem274*

123/5
New Zealand Test Mud XI

Phil Horne

I think it can be said that his brother Matt got the biggest dollop of talent in the family. He was a pretty decent left hand opening batsman for Auckland, averaging 34 over 53 matches, and even scored a double hundred. Solid stats, but in his four tests he managed just 71 runs at an average of 10.

Blair Hartland

Blair Hartland didn't have a domestic record to set opponents running to their mothers, but nevertheless he was awarded 9 tests to strut his stuff. He did manage a fifty, but ultimately only managed 303 runs at 16.

James Marshall

The lesser of the Marshall twins (which, after Hamish's dramatic fall, is saying something), James Marshall in just 7 tests earned the ire of many fans and extreme hatred from a strange Wellingtonian who spends his evenings in Iain O'Brien's linen closet (though no one knows why). Despite scoring a handy fifty against Sri Lanka, Marshall averaged just 19.

Paul McEwan

Paul McEwan is another with a solid domestic record, yet after his four tests his test run tally stands at 96 at an average of 16. He does however, have a not out 40 to his name.

Justin Vaughan

He's a far better cricket admin than test allrounder. Pretty decent at the domestic level though.

Mark Priest

Everyone loves allrounders. Chris Cairns hitting sixes, Imran bowling at 150kph....

Mark Priest isn't quite from that mould. In 3 tests he scored 56 runs at 14 with a strike rate of 30. His left arm spinners earned him 3 wickets at 52.

Lee Germon

I was going to pick Jock Edwards, but Lee Germon won the popularity with his teammates contest so he's in. He will captain the side.

poor bloke

Brooke Walker

We're going in with spin twins! Every side needs a leggie, and Walker fits the bill for this one.

Mark Haslam

No, I raise you spin triplets! Haslam took just 2 wickets in 4 tests at an average of 122.

Richard de Groen

Taking the new ball will be de Groen. In 5 tests he took 11 wickets at 45.

Kerry Walmsley

A very good domestic bowler, he couldn't translate this into test wickets often, with just 9 at an average of 43 from his 3 tests.

Coach: Glenn Turner

With his excellent diplomacy, people management skills, and ability to keep a team together during a crisis, Glenn Turner will coach the side with the aid of assistant coach Andy Moles.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Test :

Geoff Cook
Brian Rose
Wayne Larkin
Bill Athey
Chris Cowdrey
Steve Rhodes
Ian Salisbury
?
?
?

Dunno tbh :p
Ronnie Irani, Rikki Clarke? Michael Vaughan a good shout too, I reckon.

Jarquis

Neither played enough Tests.

Would probably have to go Giles for the spinners spot to partner Salisbury, I guess :unsure:
Need two opening bowlers; have a whole host of blokes who can bowl a bit of seam up and then the two spinners round off the attack.

Last edited:

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Test :

Geoff Cook
Brian Rose
Wayne Larkin
Bill Athey
Chris Cowdrey
Steve Rhodes
Ian Salisbury
Ashley Giles
?
?

Dunno tbh :p
There's got to be quite a few amateurs (of the HDG Leveson-Gower type) from the very early days who could fill the holes in this XI.

Surely, there are plenty of worse English spinners than Giles, Schofield immediately springs to mind as one.

:)

Jarquis

There's got to be quite a few amateurs (of the HDG Leveson-Gower type) from the very early days who could fill the holes in this XI.

Surely, there are plenty of worse English spinners than Giles, Schofield immediately springs to mind as one.

:)
Neither Leverson-Gower or Schofield played enough Tests :p
I was cautious to include early 20th century players anyway, as generally I know very little about the era as a whole and comparisons between pre and post war players can be tricky.

Edit : Read it as 5 Tests in the OP. M'bad. Sorry.

Edit : Schofield and Clarke still didn't play enough Tests though.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Chris Kugglejuggle for the team!

Also, the much maligned Derek Pringle. How did Chris Cowdrey ever play enough games to count, btw?

NZ Coach should be Braces. **** is not the word. ****ing James ****ing Marshall.

Last edited:

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Neither Leverson-Gower or Schofield played enough Tests :p
I was cautious to include early 20th century players anyway, as generally I know very little about the era as a whole and comparisons between pre and post war players can be tricky.

Edit : Read it as 5 Tests in the OP. M'bad. Sorry.

Edit : Schofield and Clarke still didn't play enough Tests though.
John Mortimore? Gutted to have to push forward a Gloucestershire player, but he played 9 tests and a mighty strike rate of a wicket every 27.4 overs deserves consideration (that's seven overs more than even Salisbury!)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Andrew Penn has a killer first class record. I do recall him as a woeful bowler in the only international game I seen him bowl though.
Yeh shocking in those limited ODI matches he did play. Found with a quick count that he delivered 22 wides in those five matches with overall figures of 1/201. As for Carl Bulfin, I'll still question why he was ever in the national side, and indeed how he managed to grab a spot in the 1999 WC squad.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It looks as if Bulfin's career-best performance was 6-0-31-0 against Scotland in the WC. A mighty spell, that.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dinesh Mongia
Dinesh Mongia
Dinesh Mongia
Dinesh Mongia
Dinesh Mongia
Dinesh Mongia
Dinesh Mongia
Dinesh Mongia
Dinesh Mongia
Dinesh Mongia