• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag weak against shortball : johnson

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sehwag is not weak against short ball. It takes him out of his comfort zone. It's not the short stuff that do the job, but the properly pitched and directed ones following a barrage of short ones.

Debris

International 12th Man
I suspect this is a classic bit of misdirection from Johnson to make Sehwag hesitant to camp on the front foot. Sort of thing bowlers are notorious for doing before a series.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's great but how will they get himout when the ball doesnt bounce over stump height?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Plan B: Mind games.
"Mind Games" are over rated in their supposed effectiveness. Sehwag isn't a novice. If Johnson wanted to get Sehwag hesitant to plant his front foot forward, the best way to do that would be to actually bowl some good short balls in a test.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It'll definitely be a harder tactic to pull off on Indian pitches. It could seriously backfire if they waste the new ball trying to bowl too short.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, the ploy is to get 3-4 balls in the over up there on the ribs and push the other two across. Not all three AUS pacemen will be bowling short against Sehwag. Johnson may be the man to ball a bouncer barrage at him, and other two will try to take advantage of it by bowling up. But i am not sure whether Johnson is the right man for it. You need your pitched up ball to move in to Sehwag to get him. May be Johnson planning to bowl round the wicket to him.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing's for sure, if they are off-line with the short one, Sehwag will flash hard and in all probability get plenty of runs behind square on the offside.

Xuhaib

International Coach
apart from Steyn and Anderson if he gets conditions I don't see any current fast bowler troubling Sehwag on any day especially in sub cont.

Woodster

International Captain
Obviously the line of the short ball will be crucial. Anything off stump or wider, then they'll need a third man/deep point point in place, but ideally into the body and above waist height may restrict Sehwags run scoring options. Although in such heat it may take great effort to watch the ball let go through to the keeper. Doesn't seem to be a major weakness there in terms of getting him out.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Whatever motivates him. To be fair to him, media just picks off one thing to make him look silly. If one reads the whole article, he has not said anything controversial.