• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag weak against shortball : johnson

tooextracool

International Coach
The idea of bouncing Sehwag out in the subcontinent is a little bit silly. Not to mention that the guy has scored runs in Australia for fun.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
apart from Steyn and Anderson if he gets conditions I don't see any current fast bowler troubling Sehwag on any day especially in sub cont.
He hasn’t been banned yet but recall Asif use to have Sehwag’s off and middle stump on tap.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea Sehwag is definately weak againts the short ball. I have hardly seen him play a good pull or hook shot againts quality pace bowler/bowling ever.

So Johnson & the AUS quicks will be right to target him early with such bowling. Although the pitch conditions in the two tests, will play a huge part in how effective that tactic is.

akilana

International 12th Man
Whatever motivates him. To be fair to him, media just picks off one thing to make him look silly. If one reads the whole article, he has not said anything controversial.
Ya if you read the news, Johnson has only good things to say about Sehwag.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yea Sehwag is definately weak againts the short ball. I have hardly seen him play a good pull or hook shot againts quality pace bowler/bowling ever.

So Johnson & the AUS quicks will be right to target him early with such bowling. Although the pitch conditions in the two tests, will play a huge part in how effective that tactic is.
Steve Waugh's career proves that this has nothing to do with how good you are against quality pace bowling/short pitched bowling in Test cricket.

Teja.

Global Moderator

Mate, If you've seen the recent SL test series, The Sri Lankans tried using the short ball wide of off stump in order to lure him to cut the ball over third man. This restricted Sehwag's stroke making him wait for the bad ball so he can put it away(Still was going at close to a SR of 100) but in the end, The two times, the tactic was used, He got out for 99 and 100-odd. So, Can't say it worked.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Ian Chappel

Any planned Australian bumper barrage will be short-lived if Sehwag is splattering balls against the advertising hoardings

Howsie

International Captain
Last time when we were over here we came out and he was hitting good balls for four or six, you look up at the scoreboard and he's almost 50," Johnson said. "Sehwag is someone we can bowl a lot of short balls to. I don't think he's too confident with the short ball early."
That's all he said? Gee, you'd think Johnson had come out and said Sehwag couldn't play the short stuff to save himself going by Cricinfo.

vcs

Johnson hasn't really said anything worth taking offense to, and TBH, nobody is doing that in this thread.

TumTum

Banned
Mate, If you've seen the recent SL test series, The Sri Lankans tried using the short ball wide of off stump in order to lure him to cut the ball over third man. This restricted Sehwag's stroke making him wait for the bad ball so he can put it away(Still was going at close to a SR of 100) but in the end, The two times, the tactic was used, He got out for 99 and 100-odd. So, Can't say it worked.
What I think Mitch means is short on the body stuff. Don't see much point in bowling wide outside off stump.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Steve Waugh's career proves that this has nothing to do with how good you are against quality pace bowling/short pitched bowling in Test cricket.
Difference is Steve Waugh got rid of the shot & just ducked - so bowlers knew it was a waste of time. Sehwag the times i've seen him tested againts @ the body short bowling by quality pace-men looks to play a pull or hook (which he is poor @) more often than not, which is why Johnson is saying he will target him in that area.

TumTum said:
What I think Mitch means is short on the body stuff. Don't see much point in bowling wide outside off stump.
Exactly - its @ the body short stuff. Outside off-stump short bowling is bowling to Sehwag's biggest strenght. Ball will reach the boundary or over it in less than a second.

TumTum

Banned
He also gets cramped and pushes hard at the ball, ends up slicing it back to the bowler or somewhere in the off side.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
apart from Steyn and Anderson if he gets conditions I don't see any current fast bowler troubling Sehwag on any day especially in sub cont.
Malinga troubled him enough times during the test matches. That is a 90% fit Malinga. That additional 5k would have made a huge difference if he was fully fit.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Malinga bowled short and at Sehwag's body. He didn't look that comfortable with it, and Malinga was the best bowler against Sehwag both in tests and ODIs. But to Sehwag's side, he did wait on Malinga without taking much risks waiting for off line ones, and bashed other hapless souls who were bowling wide.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Malinga bowled short and at Sehwag's body. He didn't look that comfortable with it, and Malinga was the best bowler against Sehwag both in tests and ODIs. But to Sehwag's side, he did wait on Malinga without taking much risks waiting for off line ones, and bashed other hapless souls who were bowling wide.
Yeah, as long as he doesn't take risks and waits for the bad balls like he has, He is still scoring runs at an insane SR and a high average.

vcs

Sehwag also has a knack of demoralizing decent bowlers into bowling what looks like trash when he gets going.

Top_Cat

Think some chin music does unsettle Sehwag but doubt it'll get him out, even with a sucker ball follow-up. He's Ponting-like in his ability to forget what just happened and concentrate on the next ball.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bit of a beat up. I guess if you were being told to bowl at Sehwag at home, on his current form, you'd be grimly grasping onto whatever supposed weakness you can find/imagine. And he didn't really slag the guy either.

That said, you have to love the classic dumb fast-bowler idea of insightful strategy - "hmmmmm, I know what I'll do! Bowl a bouncer!! They'll never see that coming!" :p