Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dale Steyn and Graeme Swann

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar

Dale Steyn and Graeme Swann

Just having a think about (imo) the two best bowlers of their respective crafts in the world. These guys are immense. In an era of flatter (b)pitches where a batting average of 50 is the new 45, Steyn has 211 wickets at 23 and Swann has 113 wickets at 26. WFGs.

Using my highly unscientific methods, if we apply the 45=50 batting average theory then Steyn has a bowling average of 18 and Swann 21.

But srsly, achieving what these two are doing in this day and age is no mean feat. Especially for Swann. Fingerspin isn't dead outside the subcontinent, even if Dan the Man is turning into a batting allrounder these days.

This thread is for appreciating these d00dz and having a good over their awesomeness. Excessive use of "Swanneh," Steyn/Cumming jokes, drooling over South African fast bowling stocks and Corrin vs Burgey posting is not only permitted and expected but actively encouraged.

Pooing the "lack of quality fast bowlers," first chance average, 4000 word multi quote posts and other boring thread killers will cause the offender to be shot on sight.

Anyway, these guys are fantastic cricketers and I love watching both of them play.

Steyn! Swanneh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

vcs
    I hadn't watched too much of Swann before this summer but the man is sheer brilliance. I love the pace at which he bowls and the way he drives through his run-up. I still think he has some big tests to pass over the next year (Australia down under and when India tour England) while Steyn has already had opportunities to prove himself up to those challenges. Should be interesting to watch.

It is quite astonishing to see just how much Swann has improved in just one year. To think that just ~14 months ago he was just dishing up full tosses to feast on. Now he's turning them square on most everything.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Have to say the turn Swann gets is amazing. His action looks very orthodox, but is turning it absolutely square at the moment.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    In keeping with Flem's request, Burgey's a ****
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I agree that Swann and Steyn are the best things around at the moment.I love Steyns' bowling action,its really smooth and the line and length he bowls are brilliiant. Swanny seems to be actually spinning it more now that he's ever done,he's always been a big turner of the ball,but seems to have moved it to another level of late.I think this summer will be making of Swanny, people said he wouldn't achieve much in South Africa last winter, but were proved wrong, I think in the Ashes he will still surprise us.

They're the best things for test cricket atm. Sehwag not far behind. All of them are just amazing to watch, and you almost can't look away for a second, because every ball they bowl/face, anything can happen.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

would add Sehwag to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Sehwag not far behind. All of them are just amazing to watch, and you almost can't look away for a second, because every ball they bowl/face, anything can happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    would add Sehwag to that.
    Yeah, and that's before even factoring in his amazing batting. SehWAG.
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Using my highly unscientific methods, if we apply the 45=50 batting average theory then Steyn has a bowling average of 18 and Swann 21
    Whoa! Murali would have averaged something close to 15 if that method used!

But for Swann big test lies ahead. Bowling against Sehwag, Tendulkar and Raina (if he makes the team) will show how good he is actually. If the Aussie wickets are usual roads that used to be that will be a big test too.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Whoa! Murali would have averaged something close to 15 if that method used!

But for Swann big test lies ahead. Bowling against Sehwag, Tendulkar and Raina (if he makes the team) will show how good he is actually. If the Aussie wickets are usual roads that used to be that will be a big test too.
    And if Swann passes the Ashes test (even if ENG lose) & bowling to those IND batsmen next summer in England. Talk of him being equal to Jim Laker or better than him, as England's greatest offie will have to be seriously considered.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Steyn's some of the yorkers are still their in my mind.

Yorker to Micheal Vaughan...
    Yorker to VVS Laxman...

Yorkers against the West Indians in a T20 game!

Take a bow 3 legends of this era, Steyn, Sehwag and Swann - all 3 Ss.
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    My gut feeling says that he might do OK in the Ashes, and average against one of the best batting lineups against spin in the history of the game. Let's see.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Steyn is gold. Swann is yet to achieve that height, but he might.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information