• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn and Graeme Swann

Flem274*

123/5
Just having a think about (imo) the two best bowlers of their respective crafts in the world. These guys are immense. In an era of flatter (b)pitches where a batting average of 50 is the new 45, Steyn has 211 wickets at 23 and Swann has 113 wickets at 26. WFGs.

Using my highly unscientific methods, if we apply the 45=50 batting average theory then Steyn has a bowling average of 18 and Swann 21.:ph34r:

But srsly, achieving what these two are doing in this day and age is no mean feat. Especially for Swann. Fingerspin isn't dead outside the subcontinent, even if Dan the Man is turning into a batting allrounder these days.

This thread is for appreciating these d00dz and having a good
over their awesomeness. Excessive use of "Swanneh," Steyn/Cumming jokes, drooling over South African fast bowling stocks and Corrin vs Burgey posting is not only permitted and expected but actively encouraged.

Pooing the "lack of quality fast bowlers," first chance average, 4000 word multi quote posts and other boring thread killers will cause the offender to be shot on sight.

Anyway, these guys are fantastic cricketers and I love watching both of them play.

Steyn!
Swanneh!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hadn't watched too much of Swann before this summer but the man is sheer brilliance. I love the pace at which he bowls and the way he drives through his run-up. I still think he has some big tests to pass over the next year (Australia down under and when India tour England) while Steyn has already had opportunities to prove himself up to those challenges. Should be interesting to watch.

Spark

Global Moderator
It is quite astonishing to see just how much Swann has improved in just one year. To think that just ~14 months ago he was just dishing up full tosses to feast on. Now he's turning them square on most everything.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say the turn Swann gets is amazing. His action looks very orthodox, but is turning it absolutely square at the moment.

Jacknife

International Captain
I agree that Swann and Steyn are the best things around at the moment.I love Steyns' bowling action,its really smooth and the line and length he bowls are brilliiant. Swanny seems to be actually spinning it more now that he's ever done,he's always been a big turner of the ball,but seems to have moved it to another level of late.I think this summer will be making of Swanny, people said he wouldn't achieve much in South Africa last winter, but were proved wrong, I think in the Ashes he will still surprise us.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They're the best things for test cricket atm. Sehwag not far behind. All of them are just amazing to watch, and you almost can't look away for a second, because every ball they bowl/face, anything can happen.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Using my highly unscientific methods, if we apply the 45=50 batting average theory then Steyn has a bowling average of 18 and Swann 21
Whoa! Murali would have averaged something close to 15 if that method used!

But for Swann big test lies ahead. Bowling against Sehwag, Tendulkar and Raina (if he makes the team) will show how good he is actually. If the Aussie wickets are usual roads that used to be that will be a big test too.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Whoa! Murali would have averaged something close to 15 if that method used!

But for Swann big test lies ahead. Bowling against Sehwag, Tendulkar and Raina (if he makes the team) will show how good he is actually. If the Aussie wickets are usual roads that used to be that will be a big test too.
And if Swann passes the Ashes test (even if ENG lose) & bowling to those IND batsmen next summer in England. Talk of him being equal to Jim Laker or better than him, as England's greatest offie will have to be seriously considered.

kingkallis

International Coach
Steyn's some of the yorkers are still their in my mind.

Yorker to Micheal Vaughan...
Yorker to VVS Laxman...

Yorkers against the West Indians in a T20 game!

Take a bow 3 legends of this era, Steyn, Sehwag and Swann - all 3 Ss.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My gut feeling says that he might do OK in the Ashes, and average against one of the best batting lineups against spin in the history of the game. Let's see.

Burgey

Swann will get towelled here. And he plainly chucks :ph34r:

Thought Steyn's tour here for SA was the best by a visiting paceman since the halcyon days of the Windies tbh. He was fantastic.

And Corrin's a ****.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't help thinking that Swann must be every bit as mystified by his explosion onto the world cricket scene at about the age of 30 as the rest of us are. His emergence has been quite incredible. He's a seriously good bowler, a seriously good tailender and a seriously good - well, pretty good - fielder. WAG.

Burgey

I can't help thinking that Swann must be every bit as mystified by his explosion onto the world cricket scene at about the age of 30 as the rest of us are. His emergence has been quite incredible. He's a seriously good bowler, a seriously good tailender and a seriously good - well, pretty good - fielder. WAG.
Is he drug tested regularaly? I mean, come on. An English spinner being good, and becoming good at 30 all of a sudden..

Something's wrong here. Seriously wrong.