• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn and Graeme Swann

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The sheer number of revolutions Swann gets is insane. He'd turn it more than a lot of wrist spinners. I just hope the Kookaburra allows him to get the drift too which he's had this summer, if it does he's always going to be well in the game.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Dale steyn is the best fast bowler currently but is still overrated he plays on helpful tracks more times than other fast bowlers,he has done well in subcontinent in india but again there was help in those matches and he looked as worse as others in rest of the matches.

Swann is yet to tested if he bowls well to srilankan and india batsman then we can rate him,he is a very good spinner no doubt but still its early.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm a fan of Hussey still love this video.
It is just a shame there is not more Dale Steyn on Youtube. There seems to be a lot of Waqar Younis and Wasim's top spells from early in their career's and you'd think that there would be more stuff of Steyn in this day and age.

There is this, though, which, from eye, is the quickest spell I've ever seen.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why do some people seem to have this arrogance that a spinner has to prove himself against India?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
My gut feeling says that he might do OK in the Ashes, and average against one of the best batting lineups against spin in the history of the game. Let's see.
My gut feeling is that Indians are going to target him as they've always done with spinners of repute. They always done it to the good spinners of opposition. But have to see whether India possesses that quality of mid 90s that thrashed Warne and Murali. IMO they may be little short of that quality. Sehwag and Raina will attack spinners, what ever the situation. But we are not having a young aggressive Sachin to complete the picture or a sublime in form Azhar. Sachin of today and VVS are not to that standards of mid to late 90s.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My gut feeling is that Indians are going to target him as they've always done with spinners of repute. They always done it to the good spinners of opposition. But have to see whether India possesses that quality of mid 90s that thrashed Warne and Murali. IMO they may be little short of that quality. Sehwag and Raina will attack spinners, what ever the situation. But we are not having a young aggressive Sachin to complete the picture or a sublime in form Azhar. Sachin of today and VVS are not to that standards of mid to late 90s.
Gambhir is a fine fine player of spin, too.

And, Sachin is now arguably in the best form of his life. VVS' play against spin has improved over the 90s, though his instincts against fast bowlers have deteriorated. Dravid and Dhoni are the only two who might be a bit vulnerable, Dravid because of lack of form and Dhoni because of lack of class against quality bowling.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Why do some people seem to have this arrogance that a spinner has to prove himself against India?
There is something called "Stuart MacGill phenomenon". Tiger against poor players of spin, rank **** against who can play spin.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Dale steyn is the best fast bowler currently but is still overrated he plays on helpful tracks more times than other fast bowlers,he has done well in subcontinent in india but again there was help in those matches and he looked as worse as others in rest of the matches.
This makes so little sense. Steyn indeed dominates when the track is helpful (I would more suggest that Steyn dominates when overhead conditions are in his favour), but he has also bowled extraordinarily well in Pakistan, West Indies, Bangladesh and Australia. Countries that few fast bowlers can manage averages of <30 in.

Steyn is so far ahead of the pack as the best fast bowler in the world currently, his record is simply staggering, and yet you consider him overrated? I don't think I have ever seen a bowler who can impose himself on the contest when faced with tough bowling conditions more than Steyn.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Gambhir is a fine fine player of spin, too.

And, Sachin is now arguably in the best form of his life. VVS' play against spin has improved over the 90s, though his instincts against fast bowlers have deteriorated. Dravid and Dhoni are the only two who might be a bit vulnerable, Dravid because of lack of form and Dhoni because of lack of class against quality bowling.
Dhoni IMO is a class act against spin. His technique was only tested once or twice by Murali but that was at his stunning best. Still this Indian line up is the best against spin, and is better than many lineups in the history of game, but IMO isn't as good what they had in mid to late 90s with Sidhu, Azhar, Tendulkar, Kapil, Manjrekar and Kambli.

King Pietersen

International Captain
There is this, though, which, from eye, is the quickest spell I've ever seen.
Have seen that spell on Youtube before, and it's remarkable how quickly those yorkers appear to reach the batsmen. Seriously rapid spell of bowling, but such a beautiful bowling action to generate that pace too, superb to watch. Any idea how quick that spell read on the speedo? I haven't seen many deliveries that looked as quick as that yorker to Morton.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty useful against some of today's batsmen don't you think
Possibly yes, because the spin playing ability is fast vanishing from them. Miandad, Iqbal, Imran, Saleem were very good players of spin for Pakistan, but their ability to play spin drastically gone down, and now they are only as good as non-SC sides. Sri Lanka undergoing the same changes, as domestic pitches have become grassier and quicker to address the problems SL batsmen had against seamers. But it effectively killed spinners who thrived on variable bounce. Still SL has good set of youngsters who are good against spin, but I am really skeptical whether they'll achieve the standards that was achieved by Ranatunga, Gurusinghe, Tillekaratne and Mahanama. Both Jayawardanes and Samaraweera are the best players of spin in SL side who still keeps that flame burning. Once they and few youngsters like Chandimal are gone SL will suffer like Pakistan against spin.

India is still good, but their wickets getting flatter and they are also suffering. For an example see how lame Yuvraj and Rohit Sharma against spin!

So yes, MacGill type spinners are going to be better and better in the future unless a side like BAN becomes competitive.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Have seen that spell on Youtube before, and it's remarkable how quickly those yorkers appear to reach the batsmen. Seriously rapid spell of bowling, but such a beautiful bowling action to generate that pace too, superb to watch. Any idea how quick that spell read on the speedo? I haven't seen many deliveries that looked as quick as that yorker to Morton.
There was no speedo that day. He was far quicker than all other bowlers on show that day, including Edwards, Powell and Taylor.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn is the best bowler in the world right now, simple as that. If he's over-rated, it doesn't say much for the rest. South African players can never get over-rated, anyhow.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone knows why. Performance against India is not a necessary condition for bestowing greatness on a spinner, but it certainly is the most important checkbox that a spinner would want to tick, exactly like performance against AUS (in 2000s) is for batsmen.