• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sidebottom retires from England duty.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
C'mon guys... your favourite Sidey moments?

For me, will always remember his red-faced madman scream when Monty let a ball through for four off his bowling. :)

Themer

U19 Cricketer
Boring and predictable but for me his hat trick against New Zealand.

For the whole series he was all over them and thoroughly deserved it.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Always a shame when we lose an interesting character from the game. Sidey was a serviceable bowler, but always worth watching for his antics.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sidey was a serviceable bowler
Better than that, IMO. There was a period (a brief one, admittedly) in which he was a very good bowler. Unfortunately for us, it coincided with the NZ tour. :(

But yes, a great character and seemed to be a nice bloke as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was good to see an honest county pro able to make a go of things at the highest level, however briefly. He managed to add a couple of yards to become a threat in tests, but unfortunately the extra exertions seemed to do horrible things to his back.

Two statistical related quiddities:

1) He took 41/79 test wickets versus NZ despite playing only 6/22 tests against them. Must be one of the highest ratios in the modern era for bowlers who played more than a handful of tests

2) His retirement means England has still never had a left arm seam up bowler with 100 scalps.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He can retire safe in the knowledge he was a better cricketer than his Dad - which is more than I achieved

tooextracool

International Coach
Cant say Im not more than a little bit surprised about this decision. Thought Sidebottom was still an invaluable part of our t20 outfit and I think when fit he was a useful ODI bowler as well.

Think his stock may have dropped a fair bit off late when people figured out his limitations as a bowler. However,his years of county expertise certainly saved our asses from serious embarassment in NZ when we were fielding quite possibly our worst team this past decade.