• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistani's justification of getting victimized by ICC

Xuhaib

International Coach
Now I am one who does not condone conspiracy theories now do I feel there has been any in this whole spot/match fixing saga but ICC's handling of the latest allegations does leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Now until or unless they had revealed a conclusive evidence like the NOTW sting they should have gone ahead and released a statement along the lines" that there are suspicions regarding the third odi and they have started the investigations on the issue" instead they come out and directly accuse Pakistan mentioning their scoring patterns as suspected and thus directly labeling then as 'guilty till proven innocent'

Now I understand Pakistan's involvement in this makes it an easy target for these sort of accusations but the body that is ICC should be above all this and should be taking all its decisions logically and diplomatically. When I put my self in a Pakistani fanboy shoes it does makes me bitter and getting a feeling of victimization because

1) it sours my side come from behind victory
2) directly implicate my players as guilty till proven innocent
3) makes me feel ICC is directly targeting only Pakistani players as by the amount of evidence revealed by ICC on this the English players and the umpires are equally susceptible as scoring patterns unlike a no ball are also influenced by the opposition bowling, fielding as well as umpiring in the game.

However all this does not justify Butt's senseless accusations on the English players and hope he gets sued to his last penny.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Grow a set imo. All they did was announce they were conducting an investigation.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh:

But really, those aren't genuine reasons to feel victimised, they're just delusions. The ICC didn't even mention that the investigations were relating to Pakistan until Andy Flower asked them to clarify that England weren't involved, let alone pronounce the Pakistani players- none of whom have even been named- guilty until proven innocent.

Xuhaib

International Coach
:laugh:

But really, those aren't genuine reasons to feel victimised, they're just delusions. The ICC didn't even mention that the investigations were relating to Pakistan until Andy Flower asked them to clarify that England weren't involved, let alone pronounce the Pakistani players- none of whom have even been named- guilty until proven innocent.
yes but ICC should have only cleared all the relevant parties once they had good enough evidence against one party.Now I might be wrong the ICC may just have enough evidence against the Pakistani players to charge them but based on the revealed evidence till yet it does look quite irresponsible on the ICC behalf.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Clearly everyone should be innocent until proven guilty. But if you suspect a murder, the first person you'll go and talk with is the person who has murdered someone in the past.

shivfan

Banned
I totally agree that Ijaz Butt has made the situation significantly worse with his brainless rant. His outburst is not what you'd expect from someone who's supposed to be a chairman of a national cricket body.

I also feel that Pakistan are getting a lot of bad press from this incident, and that the latest 'accusation' of batting scoring patterns is a bit unfair, because it has a lot of innuendo, as opposed to the NOTW sting, which produced a lot of damning information. That said, that trio of Pakistani players have made their team a sitting target with their alleged activities.

However, I cannot support the call of certain ex-players for Pakistan to be banned from international cricket while this investigation takes place. A decade or so ago, Hansie Cronje was involved in a serious match-fixing investigation, that also implicated Herschelle Gibbs and Henry Wilson (is that his name?). And nobody was calling for South Africa to be banned....

the precedent is there. South Africa overcame this challenge, and I expect Pakistan to do the same.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Except corruption in Pakistani cricket may extend beyond that of just a couple individuals, but rather, parts of the administration.

shivfan

Banned
Except corruption in Pakistani cricket may extend beyond that of just a couple individuals, but rather, parts of the administration.
According to Marlon Aronstam, the Hansie Cronje affair stretched beyond the three who were found guilty, but the King Commission brushed that under the carpet....

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I understand where you're coming from, Xuhaib, and blimey it must be tough being a Pakistan fan at the moment.

It may be that the ICC felt they had no choice but to confirm that they were investigating because the Sun already had the story and was going to print. If the ICC had given no details at all they might have appeared as ineffective as ever. And they may well have done a deal with the Sun to persuade the paper not to publish any detail of the allegations pending the investigation, which is something.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
The latest allegations are based on next to no solid evidence and ICC's handling of the situation was pretty ordinary. But Ijaz Butt's direct attack on ECB and English players was uncalled for....it should have been between PCB and ICC only...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The latest allegations are based on next to no solid evidence and ICC's handling of the situation was pretty ordinary. But Ijaz Butt's direct attack on ECB and English players was uncalled for....it should have been between PCB and ICC only...
wat

Langeveldt

Soutie
I'd be annoyed if I was Umar Gul.. Bowl a fantastic spell of reverse swing, take six, and then the chairman of your board goes and says it must be due to the other side throwing it.. I guess he could have gone down the ball tampering route as well..

Langeveldt

Soutie
I totally agree that Ijaz Butt has made the situation significantly worse with his brainless rant. His outburst is not what you'd expect from someone who's supposed to be a chairman of a national cricket body.

I also feel that Pakistan are getting a lot of bad press from this incident, and that the latest 'accusation' of batting scoring patterns is a bit unfair, because it has a lot of innuendo, as opposed to the NOTW sting, which produced a lot of damning information. That said, that trio of Pakistani players have made their team a sitting target with their alleged activities.

However, I cannot support the call of certain ex-players for Pakistan to be banned from international cricket while this investigation takes place. A decade or so ago, Hansie Cronje was involved in a serious match-fixing investigation, that also implicated Herschelle Gibbs and Henry Wilson (is that his name?). And nobody was calling for South Africa to be banned....

the precedent is there. South Africa overcame this challenge, and I expect Pakistan to do the same.
Henry Williams, and as far as I can remember, yes they were.. Fortunatly SA weren't banned, we were lucky enough to be lead by a man I can only describe as a legend in the series after Cronjegate, and I don't expect Pakistan to be banned either