• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India Thread

Choora

State Regular
marc71178 said:
Yes, and that's only because they're not ranked too highly at the moment.

To be honest it doesn't matter whether they accept them or reject them, because they are the Official Rankings!

(I notice no other side has complained about them, so they must be fairly accurate in most sides opinions)

Oh no dear its not so simple, regardless of what the official ranking would say, if India is to take on England today in a OD match, India would be the fav's to win it (this is omething you cannot deny).

Also the test ranking which placed SA at the top ahead of Australia was criticised only by one country, i.e Australia.If one go by ur bizzare theory then that ranking was also accurate!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Choora said:
Oh no dear its not so simple, regardless of what the official ranking would say, if India is to take on England today in a OD match, India would be the fav's to win it (this is omething you cannot deny).
Agreed that they would be favourites, but that does not guarantee that they would win. India IMO are a hot-cold team.

Choora said:
Also the test ranking which placed SA at the top ahead of Australia was criticised only by one country, i.e Australia.If one go by ur bizzare theory then that ranking was also accurate!
Yes it was. According to that rankings system which happened to be the Official system, it was accurate. Therefore, this does not hurt Marc's bizzare theory in any way.

Choora

State Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Agreed that they would be favourites, but that does not guarantee that they would win. India IMO are a hot-cold team.

What is that suppose to mean?? No one can guaratee a win for a team in OD match.The whole point of bringing in the subject of "fav's" was to point out as to which team is currently regarded as more strong!

Choora

State Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

Yes it was. According to that rankings system which happened to be the Official system, it was accurate. Therefore, this does not hurt Marc's bizzare theory in any way.
Thats funny, Marc previously said that that test ranking wasn't woring so the ICC changed it later!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Choora said:
Thats funny, Marc previously said that that test ranking wasn't woring so the ICC changed it later!
Perhaps you should have a re-read of my point. I didn't say whether Marc backed the system or not. I said that Marc said
To be honest it doesn't matter whether they accept them or reject them, because they are the Official Rankings!
This is the same with the Test rankings. Whether we agree or not, the fact is that they are the Official rankings. Personally I think such rankings are irrelevant.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Choora said:
What is that suppose to mean?? No one can guaratee a win for a team in OD match.The whole point of bringing in the subject of "fav's" was to point out as to which team is currently regarded as more strong!
My point is that in your mind you may regard the Indian ODI team as a stronger unit that their English counterparts. Frankly I agree with you. However, this still does not indicate whether they actually are better than England. It's all opinionated and generally reflected by team form.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
AND ONCE AGAIN, A THREAD HAS BEEN TURNED INTO INDIA AND ENGLAND FROM SOMETHING UNRELATED.

TO CLEAR IT UP:

1) If you want to argue about the rankings, then find a different thread. We all know that the previous Test Ranking was dismal (and not just Australia complained...) and that the current Kendix system has more flaws than can reasonably be gone into here. See the *Official* CW Test Rankings Thread.

2) India would be favourites against England as at present they have far, far more experience. The only time I would back England would be in April or May at Buxton.

3) New Zealand. India. Here. Now.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
in 1999, NZ were ranked 7th or 8th in the test championship and they definately didn't have the confidence they do right now.

I'd be surprised to see NZ thrashed by that margin this time around.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Infact were there ICC ratings at that stage? probably not.

But it was at a time when NZ were really only beginning to start moving away from wooden spoon battles with Zimbabwe.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Choora said:
I think you'll find it was criticised by just about every cricket supporter on the planet (especially including South Africans!)

The ICC realised it was wrong and changed it.

This ODI one is accepted by all but one set of bitter people who can't accept that over the period of time encompassed by the ranking system they haven't actually been that good.

Choora

State Regular
marc71178 said:
I think you'll find it was criticised by just about every cricket supporter on the planet (especially including South Africans!)

That's hardly the truth. I clearly remember the SA captain S Pollock stating that they deserve to be number one because they have achieved something which Aussies fail to did, i.e they defeated India ( I though completely disagreed with him).

I won't be surprised if ICC changes its OD ranking system in near future.And all this thing that India cricticized it coz they are bitter is rubbish, had that been the case they would have also critcised the test ranking.Fact is that India played well in ODI during the last 12-15 months and deserve better ranking.

Just for records, experiance alone doesn't make a team better, in ODI its more about all-round abilty and team combination.Under the leadership of Ganguly India has developed into a potent oneday team, whether they can achieve the same result at test level remains to be seen!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Choora said:
That's hardly the truth. I clearly remember the SA captain S Pollock stating that they deserve to be number one because they have achieved something which Aussies fail to did, i.e they defeated India ( I though completely disagreed with him).
As Captain, it was difficult for Pollock to say anything but that!

I was talking about Supporters!

Choora said:
I won't be surprised if ICC changes its OD ranking system in near future.And all this thing that India cricticized it coz they are bitter is rubbish, had that been the case they would have also critcised the test ranking.Fact is that India played well in ODI during the last 12-15 months and deserve better ranking.
Played well? 3-3 with England at home, 3-4 at home to the Windies, 2-5 against New Zealand? That's playing well?!

The ODI ranking is based on 3 years, not just the past 12 months - which makes it better since it covers the fact that not everyone plays each other in such a short space of time!

They wouldn't criticise the Test Rankings, because deep down they realise that they're correct.

masterblaster

International Captain
Its Amazing Choora, for how long you were absent.

As soon as an India thread start, you are here.

Where were you in the last few months?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't exactly call it a spying mission, since NZ cricket have actually notified the BCCI of their prescence at the game. Which in fairness to India, was the right thing to do.

I guess they're going to look at how some of the Indian batsmen deal with different types of deliveries.

Choora

State Regular
marc71178 said:

Played well? 3-3 with England at home, 3-4 at home to the Windies, 2-5 against New Zealand? That's playing well?!

The ODI ranking is based on 3 years, not just the past 12 months - which makes it better since it covers the fact that not everyone plays each other in such a short space of time!

They wouldn't criticise the Test Rankings, because deep down they realise that they're correct.
That doesn't look good which is obvious, comming up with selective example to suit one's argument is indeed smart. What about India's performance in WC?& in matches played in England ?

As for ur comment on India's reaction to test ranking, i think its safe to say now that had the Oneday ranking been correct they wouldn't had critisized it either!