• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India Thread

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think pace will be too much of an issue...NZ had a fairly pedestrian bowling attack against Sri Lanka and did pretty good..infact if it weren't for Hashan Tilakaratne in that series then NZ would have done REALLY well so I reckon NZ will be looking to use the same kind of fielding plans that disrupted some of the Australian batsmen in 2001.

Choora

State Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Look back through the forums to the NatWest Series 2002 or the build-up to the World Cup where India are built up as the best team in the world, ever, full stop. It's where the AAAS sprung from.
Actually it was like "India being better than England" (and eventually it was proven right :saint: ) and not as being the best team ever.

As for the comming series, India is gonna nail Kiwis!

anzac

International Debutant
I know it won't be the plan, but I have a sneaking suspicion that NZ may have already been written off by India - no Bond & so many batsmen struggling etc. However I know that John Wright will be doing his utmost to keep the team focused on the job. By the same token I also have a suspicion that NZ may surprise the locals!

Yes Bond will be missed and the seam attack has no pace unless Butler gets the nod ahead of Mason, but Tuffey has shown over the last 12 months that he is now a strike bowler with a great success rate in the opening overs. Oram too has an outstanding Test average of 20ish.

More importantly with the batsmen there are a lot of reputations / careers at stake with this being the first series under Braces. Fleming showed what can be achieved v spin in SL, now it's up to the rest of the batsmen who could be playing for their international careers.

:)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im going to try my best not to get into an argument over this series...realistically India is probably the hardest country to win a test series let alone a test match in along with Australia so im lowering my expectations and if NZ can exceed them then they'll be doing very well.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Choora said:
Actually it was like "India being better than England" (and eventually it was proven right :saint: ) and not as being the best team ever.
"India will win the World Cup because Ganguly is left handed.."

Last edited:

Choora

State Regular
marc71178 said:
*checks Official ICC ratings ***

:P
Yeah and the same rating had Australia behind SA in test cricket a few months back, so much so for that rating.

India defeated England in England and later thrashed England in the WC, infact India was WC finalist, while England had an early ride home as was one of our prediction:P

Right now Indian OD team is much stronger than the English one and if they do play against each other, then the results won't be much different than the previous ones!

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
lol...

im a indian who since the age of 9/10 has lived in englnad [now almost 15]
aaaaannnnnddddd i am kinda devoted to sa...

talk about split allegience....lets hope theres never a war, test matches are ok cos i can support the team that wins :P [joking]

but, seriously i still think nzl are going to put up a good fight if not even defeat india..but my money [£20] is on india...

on england v india, my moneys on...errr.....err....South Africa :D

Choora

State Regular
Nothing against NZ, but i think Kiwis won't be able to perform that effectively as they did in NZ against India while playing on Indian pitches, also Bond will be missed badly.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
well there's no doubt about that.

Even NZ struggled to bat on those pitches in Wellington & Hamilton.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Choora said:
Yeah and the same rating had Australia behind SA in test cricket a few months back, so much so for that rating.
Actually the ratings are nothing like each other. The ODI one has always been based on an "average" method.

The ICC realised the Test one wasn't working (and it never would until all teams play all) so changed it.

Right now Indian OD team is much stronger than the English one and if they do play against each other, then the results won't be much different than the previous ones!
I wouldn't be so sure about the new England side - a lot of changes from the one that played the World Cup...

Choora

State Regular
marc71178 said:
Actually the ratings are nothing like each other. The ODI one has always been based on an "average" method.

The ICC realised the Test one wasn't working (and it never would until all teams play all) so changed it.

Neither is the oneday rating working, Indian cricket Board's chief, its captain and all the players have actually rejected the ranking.And the joke is that if Pakistan beats Bang 5-0 in the OD series they will move ahead India!

Choora

State Regular
marc71178 said:

I wouldn't be so sure about the new England side - a lot of changes from the one that played the World Cup...
I know that, but i still think Indian OD team is much better than England's present team.Infact i would say that if there is a team that is better than India then its only and only Australia right now( and i'm strickly talking about Onedayers only)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Choora said:
Neither is the oneday rating working, Indian cricket Board's chief, its captain and all the players have actually rejected the ranking.
Yes, and that's only because they're not ranked too highly at the moment.

To be honest it doesn't matter whether they accept them or reject them, because they are the Official Rankings!

(I notice no other side has complained about them, so they must be fairly accurate in most sides opinions)

Choora said:
And the joke is that if Pakistan beats Bang 5-0 in the OD series they will move ahead India!
Seeing as they are already ahead of them, I don't see the relevance of 5-0 vs. Bangladesh moving them ahead?

Bazza

International 12th Man
Choora said:
India defeated England in England and later thrashed England in the WC, infact India was WC finalist, while England had an early ride home as was one of our prediction:P

As usual India suffer in the rankings because of their inconsistency. India on their day are maybe the second best one day side in the world, but on a day-in-day-out basis across a period of 1-2 years, India recieve the ranking they deserve, which at the moment is 8th.

It's worth remembering though that everyone from England in 3rd down to India are very close together, and a couple of series between these teams can change everything.

Overall it wouldn't be unfair to suggest England, New Zealand, West Indies, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India are all about the same.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
well there's no doubt about that.

Even NZ struggled to bat on those pitches in Wellington & Hamilton.
Bearing in mind that they were seamer friendly green tops and the pitches in India will probably be dead lifeless wickets or those that turn, so I dont see how that comment has any relevance.

New Zealand have proven they can win without Shane Bond and everybody is forgetting they won the Bank Alafah Tournament with pretty much without Bond.

masterblaster

International Captain
Does anyone remember New Zealands tour of India in 1999??

Oh it was absolute slaugher, a joy to watch.

Tendulkar 186 in a ODI, Dravid 154, put together a 300 + ODI partnership. Poor Nash, Cairns, O'Connor, Vettori were absolutely slaughtered.

Stephen Fleming was totally resigned and battered into submission.

Oh,

I love Indian Cricket!