• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India Thread

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Chopra looks good to me, i think he can serve India for a long time. Black Caps seems to be missing Bond and Cairns badly, without them their bowling doesn't look potent.

On Munaf... I was impressed by this youngster, he can certainly swing the ball and can generate some pace.I think he will be in Indian squad in near future, meanwhile he should play some domestic cricket and spend some time in MRF pace academy!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bit naive when it comes to Indian cricket, who is this Chopra guy and where did he come from?

No relation to Nikhil Chopra?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Munaf Patel

From what I've heard, Munaf was considerably quicker in
the 2nd dig of the tour game -- still not express - but he beat
a few of the Kiwis with pace on a number of occasions.

As Arnie says: where there's smoke there is fire. If Lillee and Waugh both felt he was quick; then maybe he does have the ability to crank it up a few extra yards.
I don't think any knowlegeable person suggested he was as quick as lee or akhtar though. Just typical India fans going overboard !!

Regarding the test:
Why do India continue to play tests on road like surfaces at venues such as Motera ? No wonder they can't win a series abroad.
These surfaces grossly inflate the ability of Indian batsmen and spinners alike.
They should produce tracks with good bounce and carry to assist
the pacers and assist the spinners towards the end.
If India made an honest effort to improve their wickets, I think they'd find that they would get more players of test quality in their team and they would win abroad.

Batsmen like Ganguly, Sehwag, Yuvraj just wouldn't make it on decent tracks for test matches. Nor would spinners like Anil Kumble. The jury still remains out on Harbhajan Singh.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ are still in this match providing they dislodge Dravd & either Ganguly or Laxman in quick succession in the morning.

India really should have scored close to 350 on that pitch against a fairly pedestrian NZ bowling attack..but the NZ bowlers worked hard for 80% of the day..infact the first no ball came in the 88th over which is a top effort considering the heat they were bowling in.

anzac

International Debutant
India can feel well placed at 249/3 with both Dravid & Laxman well set, however that can all change with early wickets as their run rate was less than convincing. However this will not matter if they manage to bat into the 3rd day and then have the time & ability to take 20 wickets on this track.

For mind NZ controlled the play for about 2 1/2 sessions, b4 Dravid & Laxman took control in the last hour of play. This had as much to do with the NZ team wilting from the heat & having disrupted tour matches coming out of a Kiwi winter, as it did with the abilities of the Indian batsmen.

Wiseman needs to bowl a lot of good overs today to justify his selection ahead of Butler. Tuffey is proving himself as a capable opening bowler away from home, and Oram is an able support - but not an opener. Vettori bowled superbly in the 2nd session but showed signs of not having a lot of bowling under his belt when he fell away in the 3rd session.

I felt that the NZ tactics in the 3rd session did not adapt well enough to the fatigue factor, and that Vettori was 'over bowled' in so much as the batsmen had had a good look at what he was doing & go on the offensive. IMO it was fair enough to open with seam after Tea, but after 4 - 6 overs I feel Wiseman should have been introduced as first change, and Astle could have been considered as an option to take the pace off the ball b4 Macca & even b4 Vettori was brought back.

For India Chopra looked a solid opening option & perhaps the Kiwi tactics to him played to his strengths. Sehwag once again pleased the crowd but did not stay long enough to contribute. He could have got the benefit of the doubt re his dismissal, but the Kiwis nearly got him in the 3rd over. Sachin was beaten by the tactics & the class bowling of Vettori - Styris may have got the wicket but Vettori did the damage.

Sachin may be the best batsman in the longer game, but for me Dravid IMO is THE most important batsman in the Indian team - he has the patience to bat for a long time & the class to play his strokes. He is like Bevan in ODIs - slow run rate at the start of his innings when he concentrates on securing his wicket, but the longer he bats the higher his score and the better his run rate gets.

Laxman was able to benefit from the wilting Kiwis and now looks set for a good score - if he does he should have secured his place for this series and the opening test v Australia.

India must be looking to get around 500, as anything less will undermine their loss of only 3 wickets on the 1st day. Unless this pitch plays up on days 4 & 5 at this stage the match could be determined by the temperament of the NZ batsmen as much as by the Indian spinners.

India needs to win this series not only 2-0, but also convincingly to appease their public, gain revenge for their NZ tour, and to set their frame of mind for their Australian tour - anything less would be a moral victory for the Kiwis. The NZ batsmen must replicate Fleming's example v Muri to make India force the issue.

:)

masterblaster

International Captain
Rahul Dravid is an ABSOLUTE CHAMPION

Like Anzac put it, he is the most critical cog in this Indian lineup, and walks into any World XI in tests and odis.

If he debuted for the Indian team after Tendulkar retired, he would probably be the 'world's greatest bat'.

Dravid, India loves you

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tests yes, ODIs no :P

Dravid c Hart b Oram 222 (387b, 28x4, 1x6) - Test Best

India 468/5 - India upping the tempo

Patel (17*) strikes 12 off one Oram over after Ganguly (86*) hits Vettori for six over long on

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ are really just paying for such a weak bowling attack & the heat has probably been a contributing factor aswell.

However, the pitch has had very little in it for the bowlers..although knowing that, India will come out & take wickets. lol.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yeah they probably will. I'll be interested to see how Lou Vincent goes. Would be good if he started to bat well, since he is such an asset in the field. We'll see though...

Knowing NZ's luck we'll never have a decent opening pair. Everyone that partners Mark Richardson will be doomed... Bet when he retires a decent opener will suddenly pop up.

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
Ind - 500/5 declared

Dravid - 222

Ganguly - 100 not out. Go skipper. I always said that he should remain in the team.

Parthiv Patel scored something in the 20s. He was quite impressive, hitting 3 boundaries in a single over.

Craig

World Traveller
Re: Munaf Patel

jamesryfler said:
Regarding the test:
Why do India continue to play tests on road like surfaces at venues such as Motera ? No wonder they can't win a series abroad.
These surfaces grossly inflate the ability of Indian batsmen and spinners alike.
If India made an honest effort to improve their wickets, I think they'd find that they would get more players of test quality in their team and they would win abroad.

Batsmen like Ganguly, Sehwag, Yuvraj just wouldn't make it on decent tracks for test matches. Nor would spinners like Anil Kumble. The jury still remains out on Harbhajan Singh.
Sums it up completly old sport.

You were spot on in that post IMO. Harbhajan is only effective on spinner friendly wickets like all finger spinners.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Bit naive when it comes to Indian cricket, who is this Chopra guy and where did he come from?

No relation to Nikhil Chopra?
He has been playing in Ranji Trophy for a long time. He toured WI last year with Ind A and did well. He was supposed to tour Eng too but had an injury. Meanwhile the other openers except for Gambir failed in Challenger and Irani Trophy.After he recovered he got selected to Board President's XI against NZ and Gambhir got selected for the Emerging series . While Gambhir failed,Chopra did well and got selected.

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
Re: Munaf Patel

jamesryfler said:
I think the board has started paying attention to this fact. New pitches are being laid. What the people have to realize is that its not possible to change everything very soon. It'll take some time, but the good news is that it has finally begun. And I'm sure some ex-players (Gavaskar, Shastri etc...) have a big part in this.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Regarding the test:
Dude, go to India and you just try to prepare a green-top in the middle of a hot Indian summer. I'd put money on that you would not be successful. Even watering the pitch on the day before a game doesn't seem to work; they still dry quickly.

It's partly to do with lack of intervention of authorities, yes, but the biggest factors are the soils and the conditions.

Legglancer

State Regular
Excellent Match so far .... personnally I was shocked by Zaheer's opening spell .... quite in contrast to the NZ pacies who were quite ineffenctive in comparison. On a Dry subcontinant pitch taylor made for batting it takes a special skill to get wickets. Wasim, Waqar, Vass, Kapil have been exponents of pace bowling in these conditions. Zaheer showed that he is on his way up the ranks ....