• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

weldone's draft thread

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Rules (sorry, I know it's a long read)-

1. Nominators will need to nominate 3 players each for each round; and they'll send their bids for those 3 players in the same mail. Nominator's bid will be disclosed at the time of listing the nominated players of a round (of course, 'who nominated whom' would not be disclosed). In case of repeat nominations, I shall include the extra players needed and I shall decide nominator's bid for those players. I shall try to be fair to all while making such decisions.

2. Then every bidder can bid for any no. of the nominated players other than the player nominated by himself (because that's something he has already submitted).

3. It's not necessary to bid for all the players. Bid for the players you want, and don't bid for the players you don't. But no bid less than the nominator's bid will be accepted. For example, if member A and member B both have nominated Devang Gandhi, and their nominators' bid for Gandhi are $ 50 and $ 55 respectively, then $ 55 will be the official nominator's bid for Gandhi, member A won't be able to get Gandhi by any means, and anyone other than A and B willing to bid for Gandhi will have to bid more than $ 55.

4. Players will be allotted to bidders according to marc's procedure, but the remaining players will not be absorbed for the highest bid received in that round, rather they'll be absorbed for the highest bid received for that player (including the nominator's bid).

5. If more than 1 bidder remains empty-handed after the normal allocation of players, the players will be allocated in the order of remaining cash balance with the bidders, i.e. the bidder with the higher cash balance in his kitty gets the player with higher maximum bid received. For example, if after the normal procedure 2 members A and B, with cash balances $ 1,000,000 and $ 5,000,000 respectively, are one player short each, and there are 2 players remaining to be picked (Abe Kuruvilla and Devang Gandhi) with highest bids of $100 and $55 respectively, then A gets Gandhi and B gets Abe.

6. To make the time span of the thread shorter, there can only be 5 rounds each running for approximately a week with 3 players per bidder in each round (so, every drafter makes a team of 5*3=15 in the end). This rule also takes care of what seemed to me to be a weak point of marc's game that 'you can't get more than 1 player in a round'. After each round, I shall let the members know the players they've got and their remaining cash balances.

7. It's going to be a test match draft. Any player who has played test match(es) will be eligible. The objective is to make the best playing XI, so your bench-strength is not a concern. The total budget for 15 players will be $15 million. No swapping of players will be allowed in the end. There will be a poll (and a rating of teams by me). I won't conduct any sim, but I won't stop anyone from doing so.

One Clue At The Onset - This game has been designed in such a way that a winning strategy will be one with true and honest bids. Both overbidding or underbidding for certain players might be fatal.

Those, who are not aware about marc's procedure (referred in point 4) will find it here http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/45379-auction-draft.html

If you are interested to participate, mail your 3 nominations (and bids) for the first round to weldonecw@gmail.com

I shall move on with the idea only if there are at least 10 members interested to participate (in spite of having to go through this long boring post).

The following part is a detailed example of my procedure. If you have completely understood the rules already, you needn't go through it.

Imagine it is round 2, there are 3 participants Hi-man, Joe Joe and SinghKallis with remaining balances of $10,000,000, $11,000,000 and $ 12,000,000 respectively. Their nominations are as follows:

Hi-man: Sobers ($2,000,000), Devang Gandhi ($55) and Vishwanath ($800,000)
Joe Joe: Tapash Baisya ($10), Abdul Qadir ($700,000) and Devang Gandhi ($50)
SinghKallis: Jacques Kallis ($2,500,000), Sobers ($1,500,000) and Abdul Qadir ($850,000)

So, the 9 nominated players with nominator's bids are declared as follows:

Sobers ($2,000,000), Gandhi ($55), Vishwanath ($800,000), Baisya ($10), Qadir ($850,000), Kallis ($2,500,000), Azharuddin ($800,000), Grant Flower ($100) and Flintoff ($900,000). [Of course, since there were 3 repeat entries, I added the last 3 players with nominator's bids as per my wish].

Now the actual bidding starts. Of course, everyone is eligible to bid for 6 players (except the 3 nominated by oneself) and bids have to be more than the nominator's bid. It is important to note here that Joe Joe can't bid for Qaddir as well as Gandhi and SinghKallis can't bid for Sobers, too.

Now, the bids received in the 2nd round are as follows:

Hi-man: Flintoff ($900,001), Baisya ($11)
Joe Joe: Sobers ($2,600,000), Vishwanath ($900,000)
SinghKallis: Grant Flower ($500), Flintoff ($1,200,000), Azharuddin ($810,000)

Now allotments happen according to marc's procedure as follows (I hope you know this procedure):

Sobers ($2,600,000) - Joe Joe
Kallis ($2,500,000) - SinghKallis
Flintoff ($1,200,000) - SinghKallis
Vishwanath ($900,000) - Joe Joe
Qadir ($850,000) - SinghKallis
Gandhi ($55) - Hi-man
Baisya ($11) - Hi-man

Now, SinghKallis has got 3 players, so his quota is full. Hi-man and Joe Joe have got 2 each. There are 2 players remaining to be picked - Grant Flower and Azharuddin, with highest bids of $100 and $810,000 respectively. Hi-man's available balance is ($10,000,000-$55-$11)=$9,999,934 and Joe Joe's available balance is ($11,000,000-$2,600,000-$900,000)=$7,500,000.

So, Hi-man is richer than Joe Joe at this point. So, he gets Azharuddin for $810,000 and Joe Joe gets Grant Flower for $100.

Round 2 ends.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Yeah I too am unable to understand. Sending 3 nominees are fine but how can we send our bids if we dont even know the original price of the player?

Care to explain weldone?

Himannv

International Coach
Sent my bids.

Yeah I too am unable to understand. Sending 3 nominees are fine but how can we send our bids if we dont even know the original price of the player?

Care to explain weldone?
You will know the price. First point has this:

Nominator's bid will be disclosed at the time of listing the nominated players of a round

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

Care to explain weldone?
Original price will be the bids sent by you, I hope I could explain.

Suppose your 3 nominations are WG Grace, Devang Gandhi and Tapash Baisya. And your bids for these 3 players are $1,200,000, $55 and $5 respectively. Then those 3 figures will act as nominator's bids for those players (which you can't change once the round starts). So, anyone (other than you) wanting to bid for WG Grace will have to place $1,200,001 at least...and so on...

Ask further questions if you want to.

Himannv

International Coach
weldone. I think you should probably do a sample/example run of how the round would generally go.