• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adam Milne

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea because a guy with a Test of average of low 20s, who regularly hits 90mph from 6' 7" is clearly inferior to Southee.

Flem274*

123/5
Okay, I'll bite Scaly boy.

Lolwut, Broad averages low 20s in tests?

If you're talking about Finn, he's played sfa tests and against Bangladesh and Pakistan iirc. Nice prospect though.

Southee looked fantastic in tests early too, and his ODI record isn't that bad. Turning into a very nice death bowler as well.

So even stevens bro.

tooextracool

International Coach
Err you have seen Southee's stats right?

Tests. Very ****.
ODIs. ****.
T20. Very ****.

Broad wasn't much of a bowler 2-3 years ago but then neither is Southee at present. You don't expect them to be averaging 30 or less in Test cricket, below 5 an over in ODIs. I know you're a Finn-hater so don't expect any rationality there.
Its not about being a Finn-hater. The guy does absolutely nothing with the ball, bowls far too short too often and has an action that doesn't make the most of his 6 ' 8 frame. I mean do you expect me to do headstands in excitement about him?

As far as Southee is concerned, at the moment hes extremely conditions dependent. But the bottom line is that in the right conditions, the guy has skittled out some pretty decent batting lineups including Australia both home and away. Broad couldnt bowl opposition out in any conditions when he first burst onto the scene, he was hopeless on pretty much every pitch he played on.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Yea because a guy with a Test of average of low 20s, who regularly hits 90mph from 6' 7" is clearly inferior to Southee.
Think there is a big difference between a guy like Southee who has been opening the bowling and essentially leading the attack at less than 20 years of age than a guy who has been clearly prospering from the success of the Anderson and Swann's of this world. Not to mention that he has been playing against batting lineups that dont deserve to be called test class.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okay, I'll bite Scaly boy.

Lolwut, Broad averages low 20s in tests?

If you're talking about Finn, he's played sfa tests and against Bangladesh and Pakistan iirc. Nice prospect though.

Southee looked fantastic in tests early too, and his ODI record isn't that bad. Turning into a very nice death bowler as well.

So even stevens bro.
Yes I'm on about Finn, there's simply no way someone could say he's inferior to Southee. And averaging 33 at 5.3 per over is rubbish for ODIs. It's not catastrophic, but it is rubbish by general standards.

Flem274*

123/5
Yes I'm on about Finn, there's simply no way someone could say he's inferior to Southee. And averaging 33 at 5.3 per over is rubbish for ODIs. It's not catastrophic, but it is rubbish by general standards.
Except Southee has demolished far better batting line ups than Finn has to date.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Every time I look at the title of this thread I think of Steven Milne and go into a Bruce Bannor style rage...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Don't even bother. Even setting aside the fact that they have completely different bowling styles, it's pointless to compare a 21 year old bowler with 9 games under his belt, to another 21 year old bowler with 8 under his. Southee's looked great at times, but as of now his success is dependent on the mercy of the elements. And Finn has yet to bowl against a genuine test standard batting lineup. We can come back to this argument in about 3 years (hopefully, around the same time that Milne is moving into a position to challenge for a place in the side).

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Phew. Hopefully that little experiment will be shelved for a couple of years. Great prospect - he's probably just about the fastest 18 year old in the world - but just not ready.