• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Young fast bowlers - A semi Rant...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hi all

SO ive just played my last match of the season, the pitch was an absolute minefield so I decided to bowl seam up.. I can bowl quite quickly, but because I dont do it much I just bowled a bit of medium pace...

Anyway by the end of my sixth over, I had figures of 6-3-7-3... So I was champing at the bit to have a bowl, but thanks to the lovely guys at the ECB, i can only bowl 6 overs in a spell...

Absolute Joke, I wasnt even bowling quickly... The next bowler got smacked and we lost the game, Nobody was happy at all...

Ive bowled in nearly 40 games this season (albeit legspin)... So I dont appreciate some guy in a stuffy office telling me that Im not capable of bowling more than six overs in a spell...

SO have you guys experienced this?
No wonder with the cushy attitude around here, we dont have four bowlers who are fit enough to stand up to a test match, its a sad state of affairs...

Rant over, thanks for reading...

Langeveldt

Soutie
gibbsnsmith said:
6? 6? 6?

thats not too bad, i dont remember how old u are so how many overs match was it....
Im sixteen, and it was a fourty over match (Adults league)

Im just annoyed that its a rule that will seriously affect fast bowlers in the future probably made up by some pen pusher in an office with nothing better to do... Going from such tiny spells to a test match in no time at all is too big a jump IMO.. And its happening everywhere

Injuries in youngsters are usually caused by poor actions, I cant see that most children bowl so much they get "burnt out" Absolute madness

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
This rule would have no bearing on the current bowlers since it's only just been brought in.

I for one applaud it as I think it will benefit a lot of bowlers by preventing them from being overworked.

The idea of someone going straight from club to country (which is the only way the discrepancy could occur) is very unlikely with the scouting network in place currently (although Anderson had a fairly rapid rise)

chris.hinton

International Captain
Jacques Rudolph said:
Hi all

SO ive just played my last match of the season, the pitch was an absolute minefield so I decided to bowl seam up.. I can bowl quite quickly, but because I dont do it much I just bowled a bit of medium pace...

Anyway by the end of my sixth over, I had figures of 6-3-7-3... So I was champing at the bit to have a bowl, but thanks to the lovely guys at the ECB, i can only bowl 6 overs in a spell...

Absolute Joke, I wasnt even bowling quickly... The next bowler got smacked and we lost the game, Nobody was happy at all...

Ive bowled in nearly 40 games this season (albeit legspin)... So I dont appreciate some guy in a stuffy office telling me that Im not capable of bowling more than six overs in a spell...

SO have you guys experienced this?
No wonder with the cushy attitude around here, we dont have four bowlers who are fit enough to stand up to a test match, its a sad state of affairs...

Rant over, thanks for reading...

So you dont trust your flat leg spin, and bowled seam up just shows you can only go far with flat leg spin

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Young fast bowlers - A semi Rant...

chris.hinton said:
So you dont trust your flat leg spin, and bowled seam up just shows you can only go far with flat leg spin
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzwhassat?

Oh, back on topic.

When I was 16, I was playing league cricket and there were several occasions when I'd bowled 6 or 7 overs and was just champing at the bit to carry on because we'd got the opposition on the run.

The captain would never bowl me in longer spells and I could never understand why. Now 34 years later and with pretty well no cartilage left in either knee, I understand just what 'wear and tear' means. At 16, you are still growing - and bowling is incredibly punishing on the joints.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Re: Re: Young fast bowlers - A semi Rant...

chris.hinton said:
Never mind that it was a seamer's wicket...

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT ECB FAST BOWLING DIRECTIVES

chris.hinton

International Captain
Re: Re: Re: Young fast bowlers - A semi Rant...

Neil Pickup said:
Never mind that it was a seamer's wicket...

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT ECB FAST BOWLING DIRECTIVES
I know that mate, but why does he bowl seamers when he a leg spinner

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Perhaps because he's multi talented and is able to think on his feet and change his approach to suit the situation?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Perhaps because he's multi talented and is able to think on his feet and change his approach to suit the situation?
Or just flukey ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Re: Re: Re: Re: Young fast bowlers - A semi Rant...

chris.hinton said:
I know that mate, but why does he bowl seamers when he a leg spinner
Its the ability to adapt to the conditions put before me.......mate

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah its the same in alot of places in Australia. you can bowl overs up to your age, except for spin, who can bowl 10 straight. very didgy rule, just complain to the umpire that you are bowling spin and that the umpire shouldn't discriminate cause your spin is so much quicker than anyone elses :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Young fast bowlers - A semi Rant...

Langeveldt said:
Its the ability to adapt to the conditions put before me.......mate
A good spinner should always be able to adapt to the conditions and bowl accordingly...

Then again, since you bowl it flat, you're not a good spinner! ;)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Mate in nz here for 2 day cricket its max 10 overs for a fast bowler per day..

Thank god im not a fast bowler.. having 4 pretty fast guys in my team and me being the main spinner after the bowl say 34 between them the rest of the day is mine :) and i totally love that ..

By the way man, you shouldnt really change your bowling type to adjust to the pitch, i think you are a good leggie reading from what you have been givin and i reckon just keep workin on it and adjust to the different pitches mate, cause then you will get better and that will be good for england in the future :)

I bowl off spin and keep bowling it every game. i leave the quick bowling for the people that are assigned to do it, and when i get a greenish pitch i learn to flight more etc

Just helpin you out mate spinner to spinner

Langeveldt

Soutie
lord_of_darkness said:

By the way man, you shouldnt really change your bowling type to adjust to the pitch, i think you are a good leggie reading from what you have been givin and i reckon just keep workin on it and adjust to the different pitches mate, cause then you will get better and that will be good for england in the future :)

I bowl off spin and keep bowling it every game. i leave the quick bowling for the people that are assigned to do it, and when i get a greenish pitch i learn to flight more etc

Just helpin you out mate spinner to spinner

Thats a very valid argument, however you should have seen the pitch lol... And our three fast bowlers were injured/unavailable, so there wasnt a great deal of choice :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
The ability to mix it up is very useful though. I mean I bowl lefy spin and when I change to medium-pace I bowl my slower ball either like the spinner or my top-spinner. In the same way bowling medium-pace has helped me with several types of arm-balls.

Often it means that when I'm bowling medium-pace I bowl a load of different types of cutters...once a spinner allways a spinner...