• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff to Announce Retirement

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Odd timing - suggests to me he has a serious problem if its already been decided another winter off won't improve his prognosis

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Flintoff was a whole lot more to England than the considerable contribution he made with bat and ball - as evidence you just need to look at what happened in the one Test he missed in 2009

irottev

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, I think because of how mediocre England's side has been the last decade (they're pretty good now though tbh) he inspired a lot of them to lift and helped them beat Australia in the Ashes.

Don't get me wrong. He was a good cricketer. He just wasn't as great as everyone thinks. For all-rounders of the last decade Kallis is easily the best and far better than Flintoff yet he never seems to get the same praise.

Gotta love his drunken antics though. lol.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
I watched a tv show about flintoff when the title was "People's Champ" Thats was a good description,I would never forget how in runned in hot & humid conditions in chennai on flat deck and beat the best batsman for pace in that spell.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
He's been a genuine all-rounder, like no other, in the time he served England. He's been the one who would take the ball to deliver a breakthrough, and also a talismanic batting figure. The impact he made in the time he played for England was quite significant. However, his best performances came a long time after he made his international debut, and has struggled with fitness when he got it right. Genuinely talented and effective, but with so many injuries, not quite a practical choice later on.

Flem274*

123/5
How can you retire if you're not on the park in the first place?:ph34r:

Did some awesome things for England. Catch ya dude.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Don't get me wrong. He was a good cricketer. He just wasn't as great as everyone thinks. For all-rounders of the last decade Kallis is easily the best and far better than Flintoff yet he never seems to get the same praise.
Mainly because at no point in his career can Kallis ever be said to hold down a spot based on his bowling, whereas Flintoff had a spell when he could've been picked based on his batting. Can't remember the exact numbers but there was a 3-year spell including the Ashes where he posted some phenomenal numbers.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:cry:

My favourite English cricketer, and it takes a lot for me to like English cricketers.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeah, between July '03 and March '06, Flintoff made 2387 runs at 41.87 and took 134 wickets at 28.43; but if you only go up as far as The Ashes, the batting average goes up to 43.43 and the bowling down to 27.86. He had a seriously impressive 2-3 year spell where he could have got into the England side as a batsman, or a bowler. WAG.