• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff to Announce Retirement

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Fred clearly wasn't a man devoid of ego, in fact one would imagine few genuinely top class sportspersons are.

I've seen a few articles intimating that he was given the 06/07 captaincy because it "meant more" (read would've sulked more had he not been given it) than Strauss, which is a gash way to decide who should skipper a team and sort of suggests Fred was keen to be regarded as "top dog".

Just on KP, whatever one thinks of him, I doubt too many would dare to suggest we aren't a better side without Moores at the helm, which was the root cause of his ultimatum.
And that is my point. KP made it very clear that it is either him or Moores and for Freddie, who apparently (behind closed doors in meetings) put all his weight behind Moores and then to come out to the media and say "I want both of them to be there" juz sorta screamed out "I want you out as captain and I got a passive aggressive way to do it"... Again, that is how I saw it and I realize I may not be privy to all the news that you guys might get living in England.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Freddy fans dealing with what Sachin fans deal with. And when they defend their player, they get called fanboys.

Lol, swings and roundabouts.
Sachin fans have legitimate reason to be fanboys, Freddie fans do not.

The guy's career was shorter than the time he spent in nappies.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jesus, I don't remember following the Murali thread but I can only imagine how psised off his fans must have got if his retirement thread was like this (and it would surely have been worse).

There's a thread where you people have absolutely no idea how much Freddie meant to the sport in this country can go and rant, entitled 'Is Flintoff Overrated?' or something like that. How about haters go and post in there instead of making ******** and uninformed comments about the length of his career?

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ha ha, I was pulling your leg GIMH. I quite enjoyed watching Flintoff in full flow and charged up, especially with the ball tbh. My last post was for enticing you to the above response :p

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff was like his generation of good English footballers (Gerrard, Lampard, Terry) who produced quite brilliant and extraordinary performances at times, and was nothing more than just good most of the times.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Find a lot of this article utterly bizarre, and a very strange interpretation of Swann's quotes too.
Yeah I don't agree with all of the article (him criticising Freddy's embrace with Lee was a bridge too far!) and there are a lot of comments to the article which express your thoughts.

I think some of it is quite interesting though. Food for thought anyway.

Sir Alex

Banned
okay okay... somehow the first thing that came into my mind after cdm's post was the Fredalo incident...

Last edited by a moderator:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
That's enough guys, let's stay on the topic of Freddie please.

Posts deleted. Sir Alex, if you need to speak to a mod, VM, email, or report. Everyone else, please stay on topic.

Last edited:

Blog it for six

Cricket Spectator
A lot of people often look at Flintoff's stats and then criticise his contributions to the team. I think Flintoff brought a hell of a lot to the England team that wasn't measurable in Wisden. I wrote about it in my most recent blog post and am sure that it was the consistent injuries that ruined his ability to consistently produce stats based performances on the field. He got everything out of his body that he could and gave it his all. There was more to Fred than how many 5-fors and centuries he got.

Its clear that England have moved on without him at the moment; however, I will be keen to see how much they may in fact miss him as the fifth bowling option come the ashes...

Sir Alex

Banned
A lot of people often look at Flintoff's stats and then criticise his contributions to the team. I think Flintoff brought a hell of a lot to the England team that wasn't measurable in Wisden. I wrote about it in my most recent blog post and am sure that it was the consistent injuries that ruined his ability to consistently produce stats based performances on the field. He got everything out of his body that he could and gave it his all. There was more to Fred than how many 5-fors and centuries he got.

Its clear that England have moved on without him at the moment; however, I will be keen to see how much they may in fact miss him as the fifth bowling option come the ashes...
Good post...

Fred's value is going to be felt when England messes up key moments in key test matches... when the pressure was on, there was always Fred to thrust his best foot forward.