• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff to Announce Retirement

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The cricinfo headline cracks me up:

"Allrounder finally bows to long-standing knee injury"

They couldn't come up with a worse headline if they tried :laugh:

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Coulda been a contender.
His performance in the oft forgotten 2006 series away to Hindia was very good.
11 wickets at 30ish and a batting ave of 50 odd incl. 4 50's in 4 innings.
3rd Test Wankhede Stadium ( The Ring of Fire Test) M0M and M0S.That was the match that Tendulkar got booed from the Garware Pavillion, which is above the dressing-room, and which is normally populated exclusively by the invitees of the Mumbai Cricket Association.

Joining the ranks of the mortals | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

Flinters Test career in from Jan04 to Jun06( his peak)
33 Tests
1918 runs @ 39@95
3 100's 16 50's
134 wickets at 25.80 incl 2 5fers at an ave of 50.80
The Flintoff story in numbers | England Cricket Features | Cricinfo.com

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No surprise really.

Thanks for the the memories Freddie.Not a great player but a bloody good one and he excited the crowd which many players don't/can't these days.

Sir Alex

Banned
The best English player I've seen. Did reasonably okay justice to his bowling abilities, but could've much better with bat.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty sure I called this a few months back.

Sad times though, was always hopeful of a one day renaissance, but if his body's done then it's done.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's good we live in the television age where future generations will be able to see for themselves what a player he could be rather than just relying on the naked stats, which don't tell the full story of Fred.

Touched greatness but not for long enough to quite make it into the pantheon. I dare say it'll be some time before we produce another player who could genuinely make the test side based on either discipline tho.

_Ed_

As many have said, not a surprise, but a shame.

There are some weird bits in Cricinfo's My favourite Flintoff moment - particularly this one from Dale Steyn.

Dale Steyn - South Africa fast bowler

I never really played much against him, so I really can't speak much about his skills. But I do remember he was quite a crowd-pleaser. I didn't play the Test match at Edgbaston in 2008, as I had a broken hand, but the distinct memory was that each time he turned to bowl the crowd lit up.
That's hardly unique insight from a fellow player, is it? I think we all had a fair idea Flintoff was a reasonably popular bloke. Why did they ask him?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Interesting article:

Andrew Flintoff's retirement: Another final farewell to a fine self-promoter | Cricket Features | Global | Cricinfo.com

Yes, there's a sadness that comes with the passing of a career that, in its pomp, embodied everything that is wonderful about sport at the highest level: the guts, the athleticism, the outrageous skill - particularly when cranking up the pace in the 2005 Ashes with a hint of reverse-swing to complement his bruising line of attack. But above all in Flintoff's case it was his down-to-earth qualities that endeared him to the nation. He became the people's champion precisely because every man in the country saw shades of themselves in his journey from the pub to the pedestal (and ultimately to the pedalo).

But equally, there's only so much applause that can be milked for any one performance, and right now, five years on from his defining hour, Flintoff is milking it ... bad. If he does go on to do the pantomime season - and Ladbrokes are already offering odds of 2-1 that he does - it can only be hoped there's a bloke waiting in the wings with a shepherd's crook to hoick him offstage at the curtain-call. Great performance and all that, Fred, but our hands are sore from clapping. Could you, please, just go now? (The answer to that, incidentally, is no ... despite the finality of today's announcement.)

But why then does his retirement leave so many so cold? Perhaps it's not true for the wider sporting public who still revere him, but those who've watched him at close quarters for the majority of his career baulk at the man he's become in recent years. Like cricket's version of David Beckham, Flintoff's undoubted gift for his chosen sport has been superseded by a penchant for self-promotion - to such an extent that the myth is now of greater significance than the fact, or indeed the stats.

Too many of Flintoff's final moments have been of this look-at-me variety, whereas the Fred of old cared more about how his efforts impacted on the wider team performance. When he announced his retirement on the eve of the Lord's Test last summer, for instance, eyebrows were raised about his thunder-sealing timing. And similar criticisms were voiced at The Oval today, even as a tumultuous climax to the County Championship was being contested at Flintoff's alma mater, Old Trafford. It may well be the case that he got the bad news from his doctor a day earlier, and wanted to vent it at the first opportunity, but it's hard to believe it was a coincidence.

Last edited:

morgieb

Well, well done Flintoff for a great career. Beat us twice, which is no mean feat. Retirement was kinda expected, but meh.