• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Bangladesh 2010

Flem274*

123/5
But if Andre Adams/James Franklin/Matthew Sinclair succeed in domestics and fails in internationals maybe Bennett will rock our socks off!

[/Phlegmish optimism]
I'm the fast bowler poo pooer here. :p reports say he drops his pace bigtime after a few overs. He also sucks at List A, and he can come on here and debate it with me if he likes. Unlike a certain other bowler, we have a pretty decent sample size.

And I see he's taken one wicket in the last two seasons in List A at the fabulous average of 172.00. Deary me.
:laugh:

NZC wtf. Was gonna label this an Ian Butler like pick, but that's insulting Ian Butler. Fair enough if he was given a shot in tests, but this is a tad excessive. How many games in the past two seasons?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two matches last season (1 wicket for 119 with an economy rate of 7.43) and two in 2008/09 (no wickets for 53, economy rate a much more miserly 5.88).

Flem274*

123/5
I suppose that's sort of not too horrific, but it's not worthy of being picked for NZ. Even if we were Bangladesh level, we need a standard set rather than handing out the cap to whoever.

And this is the ODI team, aka the good team. If I felt like being a complete **** I'd compile a list of bowlers better than Bennett in List A, and it would be very long. But I won't, because that would be dickish and more importantly, I cbf.

I guess they figured the punt paid off with McKay, except he isn't proven yet and his record is a few light years better.

If this were tests I could see why they picked him and maybe even support it, because Bennett is actually becoming a good FC bowler, but-

Okay, broken record is off.

Athlai

Not Terrible
TBF to Bangers they don't play anyone with crap figures like that because everyone in their domestic stuff is poor.

_Ed_

Bangladesh batsmen have struggled against quick bowling, and I've heard many times that Bennett's sharpish. So even if he's massively wayward, the batsmen will probably find ways to get themselves out to it just because of the unsettling extra yard of pace - they'll chop it on, etc.

So he'll probably get reasonable figures and then be retained for India...ouch.

Flem274*

123/5
Bangladesh batsmen have struggled against quick bowling, and I've heard many times that Bennett's sharpish. So even if he's massively wayward, the batsmen will probably find ways to get themselves out to it just because of the unsettling extra yard of pace - they'll chop it on, etc.

So he'll probably get reasonable figures and then be retained for India...ouch.
Tbh Tamim, Shakib and Mahmahdulla (sic) are pretty good players. Can't underestimate these d00dz.

Howsie

International Captain
Seeing as the selectors seem to like picking players in limited overs cricket before playing them in test cricket (when possible) the selection of Hamish Bennett should really come as no surprise tbh.

Flem274*

123/5
But it's a Neil Broom selection tbh. He's likely to fail and not get picked for tests when he could have made a promising start in tests.

The only good thing that can come of this (unless he comes through of course) is he goes back to domestic cricket a better and more worldly bowler.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
very suprised michael bates didn't make the A squad, years younger than aldridge similar first class records last season.
Bates got the domestic MVP award. Very strange he wasn't wanted for NZA.

Bennett would have been picked purely on pace. He is quick, but he needs some work. He's probably not ready for international level yet but hey, Bangladesh are the best side to give someone a game against. Hopefully we end up 3-0 up and can play some of these guys.

About time Hopkins got dropped. Guptill needs to develop his game. He's still very young and i'd definitely select him again for the black caps if he does well for the A team.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This would have been a very interesting test series if they had gone along with the original schedule.
I would back Bangladesh to pull off a win with their spinners on friendly conditions.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bennett surprise selection for tour to Bangladesh | Stuff.co.nz

Bizarre. Not only have his performances for NZA been rubbish, he's barely played at all for Canterbury in OD cricket over the past 2 seasons. I know it is only Bangladesh, but it seems a very odd choice just 6 months out from the World Cup. And he's not that fast either. From what I've heard he's very much in the modern day Ian Butler pace bracket.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
Looks like Bennett was the 15th player selected. My 2c says they picked a playing XI (3 seamers + Vettori + Nathan McCullum, with Williamson / Elliot as occasional bowlers). Then a reserve batsman (Stewart) and a reserve pace bowler (Southee). Then Redmond to make up for that wedding mix-up.

But they had plane tickets for a 15th player. No use taking Jeets, no space for 3 spinners in the XI. No other seam-bowling all-rounder was to ready to replace Oram apart from Franklin, who they had other plans for. Suspect they then looked alphabetically for a spare pace bowler, they somehow missed Bates, but Bennett comes before Bracewell comes before Butler!

Obvious really.

8-)

Has anybody mentioned that there are 4 x ODI openers in the team (B McCullum, Watling, Ryder, Redmond).

_Ed_

Vettori has opened the batting in ODIs on a few occasions too IIRC.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Massive surprise to see Bennett selected given his rather woeful record in recent seasons. I guess the selectors are hoping for performances such as this effort in 2008 but thats a terribly large gamble. He hasn't even been on form for the Emerging Players side on their recent tour of Australia - figures of 0/21 (3), 0/9 (2), 0/36 (7) and 0/39 (6). This quote from Mark Greatbach I found intriguing: "Hamish Bennett reminds me a bit of Kerry Walmsley. He has a high arm, bowls full and straight and just gets it to swing away a tad. He has a knack of getting good players out too." If he has a knock of dismissing good players, I'd raise the question why he isn't taking any wickets...

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain
NO TI for BD vs. NZ!

Tamim is undergoing a minor operation on his wrist in Australia today. He's in Melbourne as far as I know.

Its since that Zimbabwe tour last year when he injured his wrist and then further agonized it while playing against India, and then further botching it up during those wonderful hundreds against England when he did play with quite a lot of pain!

He always wanted it checked up, the board did not take it too seriously.

The numerous doctors he consulted in Bangladesh, England and Australia suggested he could play with the injury fine but it was going to bother him and sooner or later a surgery maybe needed.

He opted to get it done right away so as to be 100% fit for the world cup.

The recovery time is anywhere between 5-7 weeks.

So good news to NZ and NZ fans - NO TAMIM IQBAL FOR THIS ODI SERIES!

...That is unless he recovers a few weeks quicker like he usually almost always does...LOL :happy:!!!!!