• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andre Adams?

GGG

State Captain
Doing OK again this season, wonder how many NZ players have played 100+ first class games, averaged under 24 and yet have only played one test.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Doing OK again this season, wonder how many NZ players have played 100+ first class games, averaged under 24 and yet have only played one test.
O'Brien came close to never playing again after his first 2 tests against Australia in 04/05. Seemed to come right out of the blue when he was selected for the tour to South Africa in 07/08.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Warren McSkimming averages just over 24 after about 60 or so FC games so I guess he'd be close

AucklandCricket

Cricket Spectator
When do I bag all our batsmen for being flat track bullies?:huh: I spend half of my life defending CD batsmen.

I was saying he'd probably be a bowler who'd struggle outside of favourable conditions in test cricket ftr. I don't discount what he's done up in Auckland which is a bit flat and he's bowled very well there.

The test sample size is a bit small (understatement if there ever was one) but watching him I've felt that while a decent bowler, his phenomenal wicket taking wouldn't cross over to test cricket unless he had conditions in his favour.

Greentop was probably a bit harsh though.
Watching Andre for the Auckland Aces in the 2010/11, it seemed his greatest asset was his ability to vary his delivery. At 35, his domestic record in all forms of the game during the season was excellent and he's still knocking them over in England. He does seem to favour the shorter form of the game but I'd suggest his bowling intelligence would serve him well at test level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Watching Andre for the Auckland Aces in the 2010/11, it seemed his greatest asset was his ability to vary his delivery. At 35, his domestic record in all forms of the game during the season was excellent and he's still knocking them over in England. He does seem to favour the shorter form of the game but I'd suggest his bowling intelligence would serve him well at test level.
If anything, his performances in the four-day cricket across the world have far exceeded what he's done in one day cricket. Which is what makes the fact that he played 42 ODIs and just the one Test so confusing.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Good first post welcome to CW. He didn't used to be intelligent. He has confessed that when he played for the blackcaps he tried to get the speed gun up the highest possible level and that was his sole objective.

He could have been a contender.:)

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, i remember that. He tried to crank it up to 140ks all the time which he could occasionally do but not consistently. He is a far more intelligent bowler now and if he were 5 years younger i would have him in the team easily. He was also incredibly entertaining to watch bat. Man, could he hit the ball hard.

Flem274*

123/5
Hello Auckland.:)

He is an excellent domestic bowler, always has been, but my doubts still stand. I'd be even more reluctant to pick him now even if he was available and younger, because he appears to have slowed down quite a lot, though as you say he has gotten smarter in his later career.

Extremely hard done by to only get one test and bowls well on a generally batsman friendly pitch, but I've never bought into the hype to the extent others have.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hello Auckland.:)

Extremely hard done by to only get one test and bowls well on a generally batsman friendly pitch, but I've never bought into the hype to the extent others have.
But you do have to concede that he talks a great game off the field.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

A member of CW did take me to task about views on Colin. I think I had to back down somewhat. But I still think Flynn>>Munro.

I think I will put the conversation in my sig...hang on...