• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nightmare Down Under

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Another worthy addition to an already impressive oeuvre. :)

Particularly enjoyed the line "a target of 333, half the number of the beast"; well turned and, considering the attack, very apt.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A good read - thanks for taking the time to write it.

It was the my first Ashes series in Australia, so I remember a fair bit of it. As you say, none of us had heard of Thomson, although we alredy knew about Lillee. Had the series been played 12 months earlier, we'd have faced an attack of Walker, Dymock and Hammond, which would probably have produced a very different result: certainly a more equal contest anyway. My take on selections at the time was that Luckhurst shouldn't have toured - he'd been hopeless against Lillee in 1972 - and that obviously Snow should have.

That being said, I think that we'd have been hammered whoever we took: a view that was supported when WI lost 5-1 over there 12 months later.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Top read that.

This year no doubt will be dubbed "Nightmare Revisited". Johnson-Bollinger might not have the same ring as Lillee-Thomson now, but wait til January.

:ph34r: