• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Latest on the supposed England phenoms?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, I recall Croft citing disappointment on SkySports that Harris was not included in the performance squad.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hildreth is 26 now and is pretty mediocre in limited overs cricket. When Buttler is scoring at 200+ strike rate Hildreth is usually at the other end struggling to make a run a ball.
Plays the anchor role for Somerset nowadays, and has done it rather well this season, allows the likes of Buttler to go crazy, isn't a phenom though admittedly.

Last edited:

S Chanderpaul

U19 Vice-Captain
Hildreth averaged 65 with a sr of 107 this season in list a.

Not bad for someone who struggles to make a run a ball eh?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
One guy I 'm interested to see how he develops is Matt Dunn,who I saw play for the U19's. For a 18 year old he had some real pace, between 89-91mph every ball and had good control with it for a young lad. He's not the tallest, but looked a similar height to Steyn. I hope he can develop and stay fit, because England really do need some up and coming fast bowlers .I heard he will get a chance next season for Surrey, so we'll see how he goes
Yeah i sw Dunn on sky in one of the games this summer, very impressive. Payne was another who did well but he was pretty military medium, had 'successor to Jon Lewis' written all over him.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Always liked the look of Northeast but Godleman is terrible on the eyes, even more so than James Taylor, poor man's Ali Cook.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lewis Gregory is from Plymouth and secured a contract with Somerset this summer. He has played plenty of Devon league cricket which is where I first saw him (I have played Devon league for 12 years) and achieved increasing successes.

He first came to prominence this summer in a one-day game for Somerset versus the visiting Pakistanis (the week following no-ballgate). He took 4-49 from 10 overs including a triple wicket maiden during a powerplay, which is no mean feat. Somerset's stand-in captain, Peter Trego, even refused to allow Pakistan to play a 12th man substitute to ensure the game was recorded in the record books as an official List A competitive fixture, solely for Gregory's feat.

He has some experience with Eng u19s and has also taken a hat trick for Somerset 2nd XI. He possesses a good build for a fast bowler and also a good eye with the bat. Not a genuine all-rounder, but very much capable, similar to the role played by the likes of Stuart Broad and James Harris at Glamorgan (who, coincidentally, no one has mentioned in this thread, but he is some cricketer - I just feel he may be held back from developing at Glamorgan).
I was aware of Lewis' development in the DCL during my time in Exeter, although our paths never crossed in any of the youth or league fixtures I ran or played in. I was under the impression, however, that he was more of a batsman with pretensions to fill-in bowling: a Bopara or Collingwood rather than Broad or Harris. He's been batting at three for Somerset IIs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lewis Gregory is from Plymouth and secured a contract with Somerset this summer. He has played plenty of Devon league cricket which is where I first saw him (I have played Devon league for 12 years) and achieved increasing successes.

He first came to prominence this summer in a one-day game for Somerset versus the visiting Pakistanis (the week following no-ballgate). He took 4-49 from 10 overs including a triple wicket maiden during a powerplay, which is no mean feat. Somerset's stand-in captain, Peter Trego, even refused to allow Pakistan to play a 12th man substitute to ensure the game was recorded in the record books as an official List A competitive fixture, solely for Gregory's feat.

He has some experience with Eng u19s and has also taken a hat trick for Somerset 2nd XI. He possesses a good build for a fast bowler and also a good eye with the bat. Not a genuine all-rounder, but very much capable, similar to the role played by the likes of Stuart Broad and James Harris at Glamorgan (who, coincidentally, no one has mentioned in this thread, but he is some cricketer - I just feel he may be held back from developing at Glamorgan).
James Hart's a gun btw.

Slater582

Cricket Spectator
Most of the best England prospects have been named in this thread. I don't recall Moeen Ali being mentioned. For a teenager Nathan Buck had a very strong 2010 season.

Jarquis

Just an update to say that Gregory captained the U19s on a tour of SL. Apparently he's quite some player.

grecian

Gregory is doing well in pre-season, who knows may be a straight replacement for DeBruyn.

I dig this thread, because I'm guessing a few of these guys will be getting run outs at this time, and pushing for places.

I notice Reece Topley took some wickets for Essex, interesting to see how he goes, considering his father's somewhat acrimonious finish with the county.