• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League - 2011

Sir Alex

Banned
Indian Premier League: IPL 2011 to comprise 74 matches | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2011 | Cricinfo.com

Pathetic.

Just 5 days gap between WC and the IPL. What rubbish calendar is that. A holes.

The ten IPL franchises will be divided into two groups of five each for the fourth season of the competition in 2011, which has been scaled down to 74 matches from the 94 proposed under the old format. Apart from changing the tournament's format at a meeting in Mumbai, the league's governing council also decided that the franchises would be able to retain four players in their squads - a maximum of three Indians and two foreign players - while the rest would go into the auction scheduled for November. The tournament will begin five days after the 2011 World Cup final on April 2.

In the new format, each team will play the other four in its group home and away, which means the league stage will comprise 40 matches. The three top teams from each group will then play in another round of home-and-away matches, which will comprise 30 games, followed by semi-finals, a third-place playoff and a final.

The franchises' spending power for the season has been capped at $9 million.
4 players? What rubbish... Pretty sure Mumbai will retain Malinga, Pollard and Tendulkar and Zaheer Khan..

Most probably will be the last IPL I will take interest in... and only if Tendulkar plays.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
FFS, 74 matches. I have no idea why you cannot follow the first round with semi finals and finals from the top two in each group.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The franchise and the player it wishes to retain must come to a mutual agreement regarding the retention and the fee for the 2011 and 2012 seasons. However, irrespective of the actual fee agreed upon by the franchise and the player, the franchise's salary cap will be reduced by the following for each player retained:

$1.8 million per year for the first player retained
$1.3 million per year for the second player retained
$900,000 per year for the third player retained
$500,000 per year for the fourth player retained
Therefore, if a franchise decides to retain four players, it will be charged $4.5 million per year and will have only $4.5 million to spend on other players, compared to the $9 million available to a franchise that retains no one. The size of the squad is capped at 30 players.
So now theres a 'penalty' to pay if you decide to keep the players you bid so hard for a couple of seasons ago? It's ridiculous imo. Entire squads will be shuffled and may not even look remotely the same anymore.

I'm definitely not looking forward to watching a MI game where I won't see Harbhajan, Tiwary, Zaheer, Malinga, Sachin, Dhawan, Bravo, Pollard and the various others.

pasag

RTDAS
This whole new players auction is absurd.

Will any Pakistani players get selected this time around?

Will be interesting to see what happens without Modi. Corruption aside, he ran it very well.

Daemon

Just wondering, were team owners notified of this new scheme prior to buying players in the previous auctions?

Shri

Mr. Glass
This whole new players auction is absurd.

Will any Pakistani players get selected this time around?

Will be interesting to see what happens without Modi. Corruption aside, he ran it very well.
The question is will you watch the games without doubt creeping in if they play?

vcs

The IPL will disappear up its own arse in a couple of seasons or so.

Daemon

I didn't mean to say everyone. For instance, Amir has got a contract with KKR pending approval if I am not wrong. What then?
So ban the few players involved, why the rest of the Pakistani players?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Surely the rights to resigning a player to your franchise would have a massive impact on the prices that you are willing to bid for players. Making up the rules ad-hoc at this stage about how many players you get to keep just seems unfair, and doesn't allow the franchises to conduct their business in a professional manner.

Shri

Mr. Glass
So ban the few players involved, why the rest of the Pakistani players?
Because even if honest players drop a catch people would immediately get suspicious. Not a good thing but that is how I see this playing out. And frankly the tournament does not need this bad feeling at all. We did just fine for the past couple of seasons without them. Wouldn't mind it if the scandal reaches an end and the clean players are allowed to play.

PS: onscreen keyboard is a bitch.

Daemon

Because even if honest players drop a catch people would immediately get suspicious. Not a good thing but that is how I see this playing out. And frankly the tournament does not need this bad feeling at all. We did just fine for the past couple of seasons without them. Wouldn't mind it if the scandal reaches an end and the clean players are allowed to play.

PS: onscreen keyboard is a bitch.
It's inevitable that paranoid people will think that, but it doesn't justify ignoring innocent players. I doubt they'll ban Pakistani players because there simply isn't a substantial reason to do so at this point. They can't use the security excuse again.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
cricinfo comments section said:
Posted by kingkarthik on (September 05 2010, 10:32 AM GMT)

74 matches of insanity. 74 matches of commentators lining up to lick the corporate boot. 74 matches of dumb celebrities who do not know how to spell cricket. 74 matches of hearing things which make IPL special. 74 matches of team owners lining up to tell the role thet played in motivating the players. 74 matches of sub standard cricket. 14 matches of watching Kolkota getting thrashed.
:laugh:

vcs

Not to mention innumerable Citi Moments of Success, Karbon ****ing Kamal Katches, and DLF Maximums.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
I don't know why everyone hates on the IPL. Seriously... I rather thought last year's IPL was riveting cricket, both in the sense of the games and in how tight the table was. I like the idea of scaling it down to 74, since the proposed 90+ is a little too much, but having said that the 5 day gap is way too small. I don't like the idea of what they're doing with the player retaining. If that's the case then just professionalize it to the point where teams can offer multi-year contracts. Then again the auction is kind of exciting to see who lands where. Having said all this the ad complaints are kinda dumb. Seriously, all other TV has ads, and the IPL ads were about a minute's break in action on average in between some overs. Whoppty-freakin-do, it's not something to get your knickers in a twist over. I also though the strategic timeout of 2:30 minutes was a good idea. It's not THAT much of a break in action. The 10 minutes from IPL 2 was... horrible. Also the sponsorship is what makes all sports these days really. Learn to accept it. When I watch baseball I see the 411 Call to the Pen, the McDonalds Defensive Pay of the Day etc etc. It's easy to ignore really, and I think if the biggest problem you have in watching a sport is hearing a companies name in front of a feature to the point where it upsets you greatly, then you either need to stop watching all sports for the rest of your life or you might as well end it prematurely to save yourself the years of trouble. All in all though I'm stoked. Should be exciting cricket and I hope the league thrives for years to come. It'd be good to see a proper T20 league in the IPL thrive and then English Country cricket thrive as well so you can get the best of both worlds.

Last edited: