• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League - 2011

brockley

International Captain
By whats announced teams can have 4 players either 3 indian and 2 overseas = 4.
This is what i have come up as probables.
Bangalore: uthappa,kumble,kallis and steyn.
Dehli: sewhag,gambier,mishra and nannes.
Rajistan: y pathan,m patel,s watson,s warne.
Mumbai: s tendulker,h singh,z khan,d bravo.
Chennai: s raina,m dhoni,a morkel,muralli.
Deccan: r sharma,p oijja,a symmonds,r harris.
Kolkarta: s ganguly,i sharma,c gayle,a mathews.
Punjab: i pathan,sreenanth,m jayawardne,k sangakarra.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely Mumbai would prefer Malinga to Bravo.
Chennai Hussey and Bollinger
Rajasthan would like Taylor

More flaws which I'm too lazy to check out 8-)

brockley

International Captain
Maybe daemon but you can only have 4 guys,only 2 overseas.
Chennai muralli yes,bollinger vs morkel.
They are just observational guesses.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
"New IPL rules a bit confusing," Kolkata Knight Riders owner Shah Rukh Khan wrote on the micro-blogging website Twitter."Two new teams added (good). All players should go into pool to make it fair for everyone. Simple and straight."
Of course, it has nothing to do with the fact that KKR have been the most pathetic team in the history of the IPL :laugh:

Jayzamann

International Regular
I think a bunch of those teams won't opt for the full quota. It cuts into the salary cap so much just to secure 4 players. It is detrimental to teams such as Delhi and Bangalore that have 4 players that they'd really want to keep around. All the others have 2 or so definites to retain, all others aren't essential.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'm sure they'll stuff it up again.
That is a definite possibility. Which players do you think will go for the most this time? Including the players that might be retained, IMO -

Tendulkar
Dhoni
Gilchrist
Hayden
Raina
Watson
Gayle
Sehwag
Malinga
Yuvraj
Ojha
Harbhajan
Kallis

Jayzamann

International Regular
You have to be pragmatic about it, if you retain 4 players, that is half of your salary cap gone. afaik, you lose the amount from your salary cap without necessarily paying the player that amount. So if you take an obvious retention like Tendulkar to Mumbai, Mumbai will have 1.8m less to spend at the auction, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is going to receive 1.8m. Truth be told, as a marketing entity (regardless of on-field performance), he is worth much, much more than that.

It might boil down to teams being willing to drop most of their lists and hope to pick up the same players in the auction for less than the million+ it would have cost to retain them. Who knows, there might be some form of gentlemen's agreement between the owners not to gank each other for certain players. Otherwise, it'll be interesting to see just how much certain big names go for in the open market.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I can definitely see MI and CSK retaining Tendulkar and Dhoni tbh. 1.8 million is a small price to pay for them on paper. They'd definitely go for much more than that in the auction. And Reliance Industries and India Cements have deep enough pockets to ask them to name their price off-paper.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
How much does the player get if he is retained? Presumably not what he got last time around.

Oh and also, I presume you can still bid for a player that you had last time without it counting as 'retained'? So that may be a better bet anyway, someone like KXP may re-bid for Brett Lee and make sure they get him and they'd never pay $1.8million.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
How much does the player get if he is retained? Presumably not what he got last time around.

Oh and also, I presume you can still bid for a player that you had last time without it counting as 'retained'? So that may be a better bet anyway, someone like KXP may re-bid for Brett Lee and make sure they get him and they'd never pay $1.8million.
The franchises pay 1.8, 1.3, 0.9 and 0.45 million for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th players they retain, respectively.This goes out of the 9 million purse they are allotted for the entire auction. So, if they choose to retain 2 players, they'll be left with $6.9 million for the auction. They will also have to negotiate a payment over and above that with the retained player if he's willing to stay on with them, but also feels he's worth more than the on-paper figure. That extra payment will not count towards the $9 million, and will remain confidential between the player and the team. If he isn't retained, he goes into the auction pool and all teams get to bid on him. Basically, their current teams have a right of first refusal on players they value.

Like you said, if KXIP feel Lee isn't worth 1.8 million and they fancy their chances of getting him for much lesser in the auction, they could let go of him. IMO, if they value him as much as they did in the first auction, they'll have second thoughts about letting him go though. Lee went for $900,000 then IIRC, which is almost 20% of the $5 million purse they had then. 20% of the $9 million purse they have now is $1.8 million anyway.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I figure all teams would retain 4 players. It would just be the most valuable four. Presumably all 8 teams would have 4 players who would between them be worth $4.5 million+

The most logic choice after that is to actually retain nobody. Because the first guy retained is so expensive it doesn't make sense to merely retain 1-2 players unless you had an extremely weird squad in the first place. The 3rd and 4th players are retained for next to nowt.

IPL Kochi

Cricket Spectator
I guess shuffling the players would be a good idea in a way because then a team could do away with players who did not work for them and try retaining players who were of actually some use.

So ideally the captains would be retained along with an all rounder and two best / expensive international players. The worst part is when international players leave half way for a cricket camp or some other series. :dry: