• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League - 2011

weed wizard

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
boring

A very compicated format.
5 days after world cup, cricket ouerkill.
Ipl is loosing itz charm.
Itz more bout franchise, cheer girls and money.
Ipl is everything except cricket.
Die you ungrateful league. You are boring.
I like sarcasm.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I don't know why everyone hates on the IPL. Seriously... I rather thought last year's IPL was riveting cricket, both in the sense of the games and in how tight the table was. I like the idea of scaling it down to 74, since the proposed 90+ is a little too much, but having said that the 5 day gap is way too small. I don't like the idea of what they're doing with the player retaining. If that's the case then just professionalize it to the point where teams can offer multi-year contracts. Then again the auction is kind of exciting to see who lands where. Having said all this the ad complaints are kinda dumb. Seriously, all other TV has ads, and the IPL ads were about a minute's break in action on average in between some overs. Whoppty-freakin-do, it's not something to get your knickers in a twist over. I also though the strategic timeout of 2:30 minutes was a good idea. It's not THAT much of a break in action. The 10 minutes from IPL 2 was... horrible. Also the sponsorship is what makes all sports these days really. Learn to accept it. When I watch baseball I see the 411 Call to the Pen, the McDonalds Defensive Pay of the Day etc etc. It's easy to ignore really, and I think if the biggest problem you have in watching a sport is hearing a companies name in front of a feature to the point where it upsets you greatly, then you either need to stop watching all sports for the rest of your life or you might as well end it prematurely to save yourself the years of trouble. All in all though I'm stoked. Should be exciting cricket and I hope the league thrives for years to come. It'd be good to see a proper T20 league in the IPL thrive and then English Country cricket thrive as well so you can get the best of both worlds.
Yeah, agree with pretty much everything above. Awesome post.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hate T20 and the IPL for the simple reason that I can't slog to save my nuts. Which is why I'm on the bench for all 20 over games (which have increased in numbers compared to other formats).

FML.

Shri

Mr. Glass
A very compicated format.
5 days after world cup, cricket ouerkill.
Ipl is loosing itz charm.
Itz more bout franchise, cheer girls and money.
Ipl is everything except cricket.
Die you ungrateful league. You are boring.
I like sarcasm.
I find your lack of faith disturbing...

vcs

I don't understand how the previous format had 94 matches.. it's C(8,2)*2 = 56 matches in the group stage plus four knockout matches (2 semis, a final and a 3rd place playoff), right?

vcs

Spudsy, you make good points and yes, we all compromise our ideals to watch the game we love but the way they shove the sponsors in the viewers face is very offensive especially if you don't particularly care about the format at all. I'm sad to say this in-your-face advertising has also pretty much infiltrated Test cricket broadcasting in India. In the recent Micromax Cup Test series (SL vs. India), the commentators kept talking about a phone and a car/bike at every given opportunity. But it's Test cricket, so we grit our teeth and bear it like men.

I have to say, in my opinion the English Premier League does a good job in this regard, they sell their name rights to Barclay and Sky gets a lot of money by organizing the fixtures but atleast the sponsors aren't in your face when you're actually watching the football.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
I don't understand how the previous format had 94 matches.. it's C(8,2)*2 = 56 matches in the group stage plus four knockout matches (2 semis, a final and a 3rd place playoff), right?
Because there's two teams coming into the league this year. So that would have made for the 94 since there would have been 10 teams total.

Spudsy, you make good points and yes, we all compromise our ideals to watch the game we love but the way they shove the sponsors in the viewers face is very offensive especially if you don't particularly care about the format at all. I'm sad to say this in-your-face advertising has also pretty much infiltrated Test cricket broadcasting in India. In the recent Micromax Cup Test series (SL vs. India), the commentators kept talking about a phone and a car/bike at every given opportunity. But it's Test cricket, so we grit our teeth and bear it like men.

I have to say, in my opinion the English Premier League does a good job in this regard, they sell their name rights to Barclay and Sky gets a lot of money by organizing the fixtures but atleast the sponsors aren't in your face when you're actually watching the football.
I did watch that series yes and it is true yes but you're right you learn to grit your teeth and bear. I don't know why people are still so vehemotely (horribly mis-spelled) against T20 though. If it brings more young people into the game then great I say! Test cricket is always going to draw on a certain type of crowd though and I think the only way to tap into that is by having a Test Championship of some sort, but that's for a different topic of discussion anyway.

pasag

RTDAS
How much power does KKR have? Seems to me this whole thing was done to give them a second chance. Perhaps the IPL thought a strong KKR is good for the IPL and therefore is doing all it can to drag them back up.

It's like when I used to play table-tennis against my brother, he won the first point and I'd be like "ok now we're starting for real..."

weed wizard

Yes we understand the importance of sponsership.
Its an integral part of sports world today.
But at what cost?

Daemon

Wonder who KKR will retain, if they even choose to retain anyone.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How much power does KKR have? Seems to me this whole thing was done to give them a second chance. Perhaps the IPL thought a strong KKR is good for the IPL and therefore is doing all it can to drag them back up.

It's like when I used to play table-tennis against my brother, he won the first point and I'd be like "ok now we're starting for real..."
I think increasing the no. of teams to 10 was a horrible idea. That is why we are having this re-auction.. Otherwise we were good. Hopefully this will stay at 10 and we will have proper teams lining up every year and some kind of continuity would be maintained.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
I think increasing the no. of teams to 10 was a horrible idea. That is why we are having this re-auction.. Otherwise we were good. Hopefully this will stay at 10 and we will have proper teams lining up every year and some kind of continuity would be maintained.
actually the total organising seems to be full of faults

IPL misses MODI so much

watever he did , but he was a master at organising the event

weed wizard

ipl

Thing bout ipl is that it lacks loyalty.
Looking at the number of overseas players preffering their ipl teams over their home team is heartbreaking.
Sometimes i think they are just mercenaries.

10 teams representing is too much. There should b window for ipl in future , if it survives.

And to dear ol' optimistic
Spudsy
Wheveva in doubt try decapitation.